24 Extreme Themes $140M - Season 51 (FULL) Topic

#50 Triple Play
3/3/2019 7:46 PM
I'll go with Theme #120: Anywhere But Here (Chicago Cubs)
3/6/2019 6:16 PM (edited)
This theme always fills up, so I don't feel bad making a suggestion for future seasons:

Pondering some of the themes listed, or thinking of my own ideas for a novel team theme comes up with the realization that they just aren't competitive for even moderately high salary caps, especially with the successful owners here. They're just too limiting vs. the special talents of high-priced players (especially versus the good defense, very high RRF, hitter's park, very low WHIP deadball pitcher strategy).

CLWECW, would you like to try this theme with a cap that took in the bulk of decent players?

Or if not, would you mind if I did one at $70 or $80M, attributing this big daddy theme and you?

(It would be similar to a theme I commished years ago, the idea of which was to just relax in your recliner and pick players that are favorites of yours and I encouraged owners to tell us why.)
3/3/2019 11:13 PM (edited)
Nobody asked me, but I'm on board w/ArlenWilliam's suggestion re: a lower cap version of this theme league.
3/4/2019 11:54 AM
Somehow I've never done this. I'll try Thief Theme to start.
3/4/2019 2:22 PM
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 3/3/2019 11:13:00 PM (view original):
This theme always fills up, so I don't feel bad making a suggestion for future seasons:

Pondering some of the themes listed, or thinking of my own ideas for a novel team theme comes up with the realization that they just aren't competitive for even moderately high salary caps, especially with the successful owners here. They're just too limiting vs. the special talents of high-priced players (especially versus the good defense, very high RRF, hitter's park, very low WHIP deadball pitcher strategy).

CLWECW, would you like to try this theme with a cap that took in the bulk of decent players?

Or if not, would you mind if I did one at $70 or $80M, attributing this big daddy theme and you?

(It would be similar to a theme I commished years ago, the idea of which was to just relax in your recliner and pick players that are favorites of yours and I encouraged owners to tell us why.)
I have toyed with the idea in the past of doing a $100M version of the league to force more variety, and have recently started a "Limited Edition" at the $120M level allowing only players from 1930 or later. My concern has been over saturating the market by having too many running at once.

So, here is what I would propose. I'm going to start alternating between caps of $100M and above, including occasionally limiting the use of seasons that seem overused. If you would like to run a $70M or $80M cap version, go ahead. Two things I would ask:
  1. Please try to offset the league start times so that we are not directly competing with each other.
  2. Please do not run more than one version (e.g. cap levels) at a time. Again, I don't want to oversaturate the market to the point that the leagues I am trying to run suffer.
By the way, thanks for asking. I have been running the 24 Extreme Themes suite of leagues for over 15 years and have seen some leagues pop up from time to time that are knockoffs. I don't begrudge anyone else running a similar league as long as it doesn't damage my leagues (as the originator), but copying the concept and competing against me for owners is less than ideal in my mind.
3/4/2019 6:20 PM
109. Noah’s Ark
3/5/2019 2:41 AM
53. Hail to the Chief Theme
3/6/2019 1:49 PM
CLWECW, and VanMeter:

Thanks, CL. I have much to do anyway, a delay is great. I think I'll probably noodle around in the meantime, whether to do a redux of my just-play-your-favorite-dudes-and-tell-us-why, or maybe include that plus cut and paste from here with accreditation, or make my own list of suggested themes and I think $70M it will be.

And meanwhile, I may also join this theme again. Don't know yet....
3/6/2019 4:11 PM
Posted by CLWECW on 3/4/2019 6:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 3/3/2019 11:13:00 PM (view original):

I have toyed with the idea in the past of doing a $100M version of the league to force more variety, and have recently started a "Limited Edition" at the $120M level allowing only players from 1930 or later. My concern has been over saturating the market by having too many running at once.

So, here is what I would propose. I'm going to start alternating between caps of $100M and above, including occasionally limiting the use of seasons that seem overused. If you would like to run a $70M or $80M cap version, go ahead. Two things I would ask:
  1. Please try to offset the league start times so that we are not directly competing with each other.
  2. Please do not run more than one version (e.g. cap levels) at a time. Again, I don't want to oversaturate the market to the point that the leagues I am trying to run suffer.
By the way, thanks for asking. I have been running the 24 Extreme Themes suite of leagues for over 15 years and have seen some leagues pop up from time to time that are knockoffs. I don't begrudge anyone else running a similar league as long as it doesn't damage my leagues (as the originator), but copying the concept and competing against me for owners is less than ideal in my mind.
classy response. Am happy to see we have a continuing solid community here on the WIS.
3/6/2019 8:16 PM
Sorry... I don't have an available roster to fill, so I have to drop out.
3/7/2019 4:09 PM
7 to go...
3/9/2019 12:52 PM
Count me in. 22. The Big “O” Theme Must spend at least $77 million on position players.
3/9/2019 5:40 PM
3/4 full...
3/10/2019 10:03 PM
OK, I'll join again, if you'll let me do it again with my own theme. It's The Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Theme. All of the players are fresh, pretty faces and at $140M, they'll carry eye-catching figures -- plus they're all foisted upon you with artificial, centrally planned salaries from the WIS technocracy, not naturally market driven in the slightest. (All players are from 2017 or 2018 seasons.)

I'll see if I can put some teeth into it.

Here's trying to make Marx, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot proud! Even Castro, Chavez, and Maduro. The Fabian Society, all the Euopean Marxofascists, and George Soros, too. Please, God, save us.
3/12/2019 4:44 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
24 Extreme Themes $140M - Season 51 (FULL) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.