General Recruiting Question Topic

Typically, How many CV's will you throw at a certain recruit before you give up on trying to land him and move on to the next?

Speaking from the perspective of the recruit continues to reject/cancel your visits each cycle.
3/20/2019 3:50 PM
If he's rejecting your CVs, he's just not that into you. If he's yellow, this shouldn't be happening, but if he's red, you need to raise his interest before he'll accept a CV or home visit. You can do this with scouting trips, phone calls, and letters; they can't be rejected, and always add to the recruits interest level. You can also get his attention with promises of starts or playing time; even if he rejects them, they seem to add to his interest level.

As far as how many times to try, it's not about how many CVs you offer, it's about how much interest is being generated by your competition. If he's got SIMs on him, they're generating a fixed amount of interest every cycle. The longer they're on the guy, the more interest they build up, so push them off fast, or not at all. The longer you wait, the more of your cash it'll take to win the recruit over.

If he's green to a human coach, you're really just guessing. You have no way to know how much cash another coach has put into him. If he flipped green for an AC Scout, you can turn him yellow cheap, but if it's a prime player, the other coach has probably pumped him up a bit to discourage window-shoppers.

3/20/2019 4:14 PM
Send scouting trips when he wont see you. Scout trips are not refused. Enough of them and he will see you depending on the competition for the player from other coaches.
3/20/2019 4:15 PM
It's a complex question.

1. If you're competing against AI teams, and the player is in your "vision" and you're not attempting to get a player at a level you are not at, you can have the player if you are willing to pay enough money. It's just a matter of throwing enough money at the player, before he breaks your way. Once you've defeated an AI team in a recruiting war, you have won the player, the AI team will give up. AI teams will not compete to the death for a player.

2. If you're competing against a human, and the player is in your "vision" and you're not attempting to get a player at a level you are not at, you can have the player if you are willing to OUT SPEND the human player. The human player may decide to throw $100,000 at the recruit. Or $200,000 for a recruit. Which is pretty stupid, but it could happen. That means if you want the player, you have to be willing to do that too. Also very often, you might think you've beaten a human player in a recruiting war, and turned your recruit green. Well, humans are unpredictable, and he may just decide to throw another 20k at the recruit, and flip him back in his direction. Competing against humans is obviously more difficult because of stuff like this.

Of course school and coach prestige play into it, which may cause you to be forced to pay more money, or less money, based on how that equation works out against your competition. If he's more prestigious (school or coaching wise) than he most likely will have to spend less money that you. All things are not equal.

It all depends on how much you want the player. Are you willing to use 90 percent of your entire budget on one player? Occasionally a human coach will do that. Even though it's pretty stupid to do so.

Sorry for the rambling. The main thing is, if the player is in your vision, and you're willing to spend enough money, there isn't a recruit you can't get. With the only thing stopping you, is running out of money before you get the recruit.
3/20/2019 6:08 PM (edited)
Thanks for the info guys. I just got back into it after a long break. A buddy talked me into coming back and gave me some bad information on recruiting. I was just under the impression you scout once and then send CVs until a player takes them and turns green to you. Apparently sometimes more goes into it than just firing off CVs.

to get a little more in depth, I’m at D3 until I get the hang of it a little more, I’m A+ A+ at a program that’s never done anything other than when I was there before.

I have only been targeting D3 players who were undecided but cannot get anybody to turn green. Maybe just a bad recruiting year for me.

And I want to re-iterate that I am not targeting D2 players I am only targeting D3 players and none of them are AI considered, just hasn’t worked but I will do more scouting and phone calls.
3/20/2019 6:24 PM
Lately, what I've been doing is sending phone calls and letters at the same time I send out the first CV. So then if he does reject your first CV, the phone calls and letters will generate more interest, and will increase the chance that he will accept your 2nd try at a CV.
3/20/2019 6:36 PM
I think of it in terms of money. If you're spending money on the recruit, they like that. Doesn't matter too much how you spend it. Whether it's CV's or In Home's by the Coach.

Of course a recruit can turn down a CV, but if you send enough of them, the recruit warms up, and starts taking them, to the point he'll take very CV you send him. As far as sending multiple scouting trips, you won't won't get rejected and because of that, you'll spend the money on the recruit. Which they like.

And of course each type of recruiting activity does have it's own advantages. Scouting gives you information. But generally speaking, after you've scouted him, and had him for a visit, the only real tangible thing that is happening is you are spending resources on a recruit. Which recruits like.
3/20/2019 7:19 PM
Newbies, do not be mislead. Money is not the relevant issue. Effort is the relevant issue. It matters greatly how you spend your money. The relationship between money and effort will vary widely according to geography and prestige, for example. If money were the relevant issue we would all be recruiting guys from across the continent. Money is not the relevant issue.
3/21/2019 1:17 AM
Money is relevant as you only have so much of it and how you use it makes a big difference. And if you're not recruiting guys across the continent then you're not going to have access to the best players. Even at Div 3 you should be recruiting nationwide. When you do that money becomes really relevant as the further away the more things cost, as you mentioned. And who you decide to battle for brings money into the equation.
The only reason to send more then 1 scout trip is if after the 1st one you sent, the player is still undecided. If they are considering other schools, more scout trips are a waste of money. Campus visits may be rejected but you get the money back if they are, unlike home visits. Keep sending campus visits and they will get accepted, but don't send more then 1 or 2 per action unless you are on the considering list.
3/21/2019 3:31 PM
Posted by superv97 on 3/21/2019 3:31:00 PM (view original):
Money is relevant as you only have so much of it and how you use it makes a big difference. And if you're not recruiting guys across the continent then you're not going to have access to the best players. Even at Div 3 you should be recruiting nationwide. When you do that money becomes really relevant as the further away the more things cost, as you mentioned. And who you decide to battle for brings money into the equation.
The only reason to send more then 1 scout trip is if after the 1st one you sent, the player is still undecided. If they are considering other schools, more scout trips are a waste of money. Campus visits may be rejected but you get the money back if they are, unlike home visits. Keep sending campus visits and they will get accepted, but don't send more then 1 or 2 per action unless you are on the considering list.
Home visits get refunded also if they are rejected don't they?
3/21/2019 4:02 PM
Posted by waregl72 on 3/21/2019 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by superv97 on 3/21/2019 3:31:00 PM (view original):
Home visits get refunded also if they are rejected don't they?
Not always.
3/21/2019 5:33 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 3/21/2019 1:17:00 AM (view original):
Newbies, do not be mislead. Money is not the relevant issue. Effort is the relevant issue. It matters greatly how you spend your money. The relationship between money and effort will vary widely according to geography and prestige, for example. If money were the relevant issue we would all be recruiting guys from across the continent. Money is not the relevant issue.
This is true. Actions speak louder than how much money you throw at a Recruit. A recruit sees actions not money.
3/21/2019 6:33 PM
so keep sendin them cards and letters

like yer my sister from scottsdale and its thanksgiving

like yer my uncle's new wife and its christmas

just keep poundin that mailbox
3/21/2019 7:18 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 3/21/2019 7:20:00 PM (view original):
so keep sendin them cards and letters

like yer my sister from scottsdale and its thanksgiving

like yer my uncle's new wife and its christmas

just keep poundin that mailbox
Is "mailbox" a code-word for something else?
3/21/2019 10:06 PM
Money is just money. It's only used to buy recruiting actions, and a $700 AC scout to a guy 2000 miles away buys you the exact same amount of influence as a $150 AC scout from a team in his back yard.
3/22/2019 9:29 PM
12 Next ▸
General Recruiting Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.