Passing - Developers Notes? Topic

Realist, I sent you a sitemail.
3/23/2019 4:35 PM
Posted by hookemhorns7 on 3/23/2019 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhazlewood on 3/23/2019 11:57:00 AM (view original):
The interview was done shortly after the 2.0 engine was released, in 2010. That's is what is meant when "The Update" is referenced. (Anyone that was around at the time should remember that the initial release was an unmitigated disaster.)

3/23/2019 6:35 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 3/23/2019 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Realist, I sent you a sitemail.
We all want that info, sharing is caring
3/23/2019 9:12 PM
Ha Ha. I just told him to figure it out himself, like the rest of us.
3/23/2019 9:34 PM
I am betting that most of what Joe said is still true because ... http://www.astrodigital.org/space/stshorse.html

Oh crud messed it up. Sorry. Paste the link
3/23/2019 9:45 PM
TwoBuckChuck: Why the name ? Is that all your advice is worth ?
3/24/2019 9:28 AM

Well, if that is outdated and not valid, I will move on.

The passing algorithm has not changed IMO. The JConte interview is very informative regarding the passing tree and atributes necessary for each step in the passing tree. Of course, this is just my opinion.

nitros

3/24/2019 3:42 PM
Two Buck Chuck is a Trader Joe's wino
3/24/2019 10:15 PM
more of a beero but if its bottom shelf he's your man
3/24/2019 11:54 PM
Posted by nitros on 3/24/2019 3:42:00 PM (view original):

Well, if that is outdated and not valid, I will move on.

The passing algorithm has not changed IMO. The JConte interview is very informative regarding the passing tree and atributes necessary for each step in the passing tree. Of course, this is just my opinion.

nitros

Nitros is correct here. There has been very little change in the passing tree from that interview. Version 3.0 did bring in a couple things that were mentioned earlier in this thread. Here is my understanding. If you put someone at 100% then the QB will look for that player only when passing. Remember the pass distribution settings in your formations page do not dictate who the QB throws to, except if you list one as 100%, but it dictates who the QB looks to first and how often. Then your QB decides if he is open and if not moves through his progression. In what order the progression goes, I have no clue. Someone smarter at reading the play by plays then me might be able to answer that. But my understanding is, if you have a player you want to have the option of passing to, then that player needs to have at least a small number listed for him in the distribution settings. I have a guess that it is very much like the progression system of version 1.0 if anyone remembers it or can dig it up. But this is just a guess on my part.
3/25/2019 11:38 AM
if i say shotgun 25% WR1 25% WR2 25% WR3 25% WR4

there is an equal chance any one of them will be targeted first

is my guess based on nothing

if we had us an advanced sim here those numbers would be modified by the ability of each WR to get open and make a catch and by the QB's ability to recognize said
3/25/2019 11:47 AM
Over the course of the season, the number of targets to each player is going to be very close to the distribution set.

Now, you would have to be very STUPID to try something so SIMPLE, but if you were to allocate 20% to each of your 5 eligible receivers at medium depth and then pass medium on every single play, at the end of the year you would probably find that each position would have right around 20% of the total targets.

Of course, if you did what I mentioned above, coaches would be easily able to figure it out and defend it. It's way too basic to work. But whatever allocations you use, the targets are going to be pretty close to that number.
3/25/2019 11:58 AM
Posted by badaxe on 3/24/2019 10:15:00 PM (view original):
Two Buck Chuck is a Trader Joe's wino
I still don't understand why its nickname is still Two Buck Chuck when it's now three bucks.
3/25/2019 2:12 PM
it would be stupid to spread it around? up and down left and right? build some unknown into the O?

or would it be stupid to huck it long every damn time so even a stupid man could defend it

what would truly enable a stupid man to defend any kinda lazer focus surgical precision like that would be

if the simcast and the advanced play-by-play would use position not player name in their description

who has the time to look up another guy's roster and cross check it against position to find out who's doin what

Apeman hucks long to Zipperhead becomes QB -> WR4

i don have to acquaint myself with the opposition's roster names

KISS
3/25/2019 8:24 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 3/25/2019 8:24:00 PM (view original):
it would be stupid to spread it around? up and down left and right? build some unknown into the O?

or would it be stupid to huck it long every damn time so even a stupid man could defend it

what would truly enable a stupid man to defend any kinda lazer focus surgical precision like that would be

if the simcast and the advanced play-by-play would use position not player name in their description

who has the time to look up another guy's roster and cross check it against position to find out who's doin what

Apeman hucks long to Zipperhead becomes QB -> WR4

i don have to acquaint myself with the opposition's roster names

KISS
You know you can click on the OX icon for any play in play-by-play and see who was playing what, right?
3/26/2019 1:44 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Passing - Developers Notes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.