Some Baseball Trivia Questions Topic

Posted by redcped on 4/12/2019 6:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by italyprof on 4/12/2019 6:12:00 PM (view original):
And as a corollary to the question above: Whose all-time single season professional baseball home run record did Barry Bonds break in 2001?
Joe Bauman (72 in 1954 in the low minors)
That is correct. The only man to have hit 70 home runs in any level of professional baseball before 2001.

He hit 72 home runs for the Roswell Rockets (doesn't that seem kind of a strange name for a Roswell team already in 1954?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bauman

Still waiting on the answer to the question of who hit 60 homers in a season twice before McGwire and Sosa did it.
4/12/2019 6:39 PM
Oh's record was 55, so I don't think it's him.

Hessman is too recent and I don't think he ever hit 60.

Hauser? He did it once for the minor league Orioles franchise, and he had other good years in the minors...

Some would claim that Gibson did it, depending on whose stats you want to believe and what you want to include.
4/12/2019 6:50 PM
Pud Miller and Muscle Shoals also come to mind...
4/12/2019 6:56 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/12/2019 6:50:00 PM (view original):
Oh's record was 55, so I don't think it's him.

Hessman is too recent and I don't think he ever hit 60.

Hauser? He did it once for the minor league Orioles franchise, and he had other good years in the minors...

Some would claim that Gibson did it, depending on whose stats you want to believe and what you want to include.
It is Joe Hauser. He did it for the International League Baltimore Orioles, and then for the Minneapolis Millers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hauser

4/12/2019 9:28 PM
The interesting thing about Hauser was that his best minor league years - including at least one of those 60 HR seasons - came after his Major League career. Very unusual, at least by today's standards.
4/12/2019 10:30 PM
It is interesting. I think it was more common back then, because after your MLB years, the more independent minors, like the International League, the Pacific Coast or Texas League could use you, and you didn't make $10 million a year playing so you didn't need the money. You needed to make a living, so why not play in Cedar Rapids, Omaha, Minneapolis before there was an MLB franchise there, etc.?

So people could see former big leaguers in their home towns when they went to the ballpark more often. Another America.
4/13/2019 7:44 AM
Posted by italyprof on 4/13/2019 7:44:00 AM (view original):
It is interesting. I think it was more common back then, because after your MLB years, the more independent minors, like the International League, the Pacific Coast or Texas League could use you, and you didn't make $10 million a year playing so you didn't need the money. You needed to make a living, so why not play in Cedar Rapids, Omaha, Minneapolis before there was an MLB franchise there, etc.?

So people could see former big leaguers in their home towns when they went to the ballpark more often. Another America.
Like the perspective of this post!
4/13/2019 1:17 PM
I agree, and it's great to have italyprof posting again in the forums.

New one:

Name the only player who hit at least 20 HR and stole at least 20 bases every season from 2005-08.

4/13/2019 2:07 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 4/13/2019 2:07:00 PM (view original):
I agree, and it's great to have italyprof posting again in the forums.

New one:

Name the only player who hit at least 20 HR and stole at least 20 bases every season from 2005-08.

I think it’s Grady Sizemore. Who, incidentally, I cannot recall seeing used in this game.
4/13/2019 2:23 PM
I immediately thought it was Sizemore as well.

If that's wrong my next guess would be Beltran.
4/13/2019 3:24 PM
Sizemore does appear to be right.

As redcped's post suggests, it could be a tough trivia question for someone who watches a lot of baseball and plays SLB.

But it's a really easy question for anybody who was playing fantasy baseball at that time. He was an easy first-round pick for a couple of years there...
4/13/2019 3:26 PM
I was just looking at his Sim seasons, and I think he's just overpriced and inefficient for a lot of themes. He had good counting stats, but he also racked up around 750 PA his best years and that doesn't always translate to the best use of money. I'm sure he'd be more useful in some themes but not so much in ones I seem to be in.
4/13/2019 4:31 PM
Yup, Sizemore. Never see him used in the sim, and basically forgot he existed until I came across his page on b.r.com while researching a theme. Had a great few years until he just fell off the edge of the Earth. I assume injury issues?
4/13/2019 5:51 PM
What current pitcher has the most career complete games? It is nowhere near Cy Young's 749...and is far less than Will White's 75 CG in a season...

4/13/2019 7:15 PM
I do like this thread, I use it as a cheat sheet to stump my IRL friends in baseball trivia. But I feel like we had an older, bigger thread for trivia awhile back.
4/13/2019 8:24 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Some Baseball Trivia Questions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.