ODL 71 commentary Topic

oh yeah
4/5/2019 4:02 PM
Posted by NotoriousJ on 4/5/2019 3:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by NotoriousJ on 4/5/2019 3:26:00 PM (view original):
I'm going to need more money please.
Anyone ever just fill their bench with trash?
Talk to cjok.
4/5/2019 4:28 PM
My team really went off the rails after drafting Rodman, lots of mistakes were made and I'm going all in on a strategy that I don't have much confidence in. You guys will probably be surprised at my 5th round selection if he doesn't somehow get taken before me.
4/5/2019 5:56 PM
Posted by robusk on 4/5/2019 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Talk to cjok.
Robusk how many times have you won this league? Twice right? I've won it twice also, try and keep that in mind when you feel the need to negatively comment about everything I do.

No reply needed or wanted.
4/6/2019 10:17 AM
Posted by cjok1051 on 4/6/2019 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Talk to cjok.
Robusk how many times have you won this league? Twice right? I've won it twice also, try and keep that in mind when you feel the need to negatively comment about everything I do.

Dude it wasn’t a dig. I have no issue with you. You sometimes roll out teams with a bunch of scrubs and have made it work. I was just providing a data point. Maybe you can offer some advice here.

If if you feel the need to have some sort of resume competition though, I have two championships in a third of the attempts you have and average the second most wins per season in the league.

But I also don’t give a crap man. I’m just here to make jokes, offer insight and try to win.
4/6/2019 10:23 AM
Posted by robusk on 4/6/2019 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Talk to cjok.

Dude it wasn’t a dig. I have no issue with you. You sometimes roll out teams with a bunch of scrubs and have made it work. I was just providing a data point. Maybe you can offer some advice here.

If if you feel the need to have some sort of resume competition though, I have two championships in a third of the attempts you have and average the second most wins per season in the league.

But I also don’t give a crap man. I’m just here to make jokes, offer insight and try to win.
Okay fair enough, I apologize. Yes it took me longer to play than it did you, but I'm sure you'll agree than my teams have done much better lately. No doubt I tend to try something out of the ordinary to gain an edge, be it obscurely drafting or trading in or out of the 1st round. It has rarely worked. My best teams for the most part are the ones where I don't trade picks and just focus on the draft.
4/6/2019 10:39 AM
Posted by cjok1051 on 4/6/2019 10:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 4/6/2019 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Talk to cjok.

Okay fair enough, I apologize. Yes it took me longer to play than it did you, but I'm sure you'll agree than my teams have done much better lately. No doubt I tend to try something out of the ordinary to gain an edge, be it obscurely drafting or trading in or out of the 1st round. It has rarely worked. My best teams for the most part are the ones where I don't trade picks and just focus on the draft.
I agree with that and I think I said so in an eval. You always perform better when you don’t trade.

Now go and provide this dude some tips on making a bench of scrubs work.
4/6/2019 11:03 AM (edited)
The only real way I think it can be successful is to make your draft picks line up so your primary two backups are behind your two heavy usage starters... giving you like 8-12 points of usage on the court at all times of drafted players. Then your scrubs are just low usage assist or rebound junkies.
4/6/2019 11:03 AM
Sometimes its an unavoidable certainty in the ODL due to how you draft your first 3 or 4 rounds especially if you are drafting (best available). Sometimes even after you draft your first 2 rounds (like in my case this draft) When you take up over 20min with two players you are destined to have some crap on your bench. Keys to making it work (just like robusk explained) you must back up your heavy usage players with good heavy usage players to keep at least 10 points of usage on the floor at all times. Now to fill the roster when you need minutes have don't have much $ left... Optimally you'll have at least 3 players set up for one specific spot of minutes (lets call it a 10-12 minute hole you need to fill) pick up three cheap (low usage) crap players 300-350 minutes each. (league minimum cost) put one in at 10 minutes. The next game you rest that one, plug the next in, and repeat the process with all the players. By the time you have to go back to the first one he will typically be back at 100%.
4/6/2019 11:58 AM
Posted by robusk on 4/5/2019 11:37:00 AM (view original):
Is jcred5 doing evals?
Yes - I'll do them. Suppose I should get started putting them together. I'll have some time tonight to get going.
4/6/2019 4:24 PM
First two picks Duncan and Magic seemed great fits for what I want this team to do. 3rd pick wasn’t a guy I was thinking about but Dr J was sitting there and hard not to grab. Turnovers are a worry with him but at 2-3 spots he’s a monster on the boards. And here’s where I went south.....4th pick was Drexler and I had him in that #3 slot on my draft board. I didn’t adjust after taking Dr J and took Drexler. That pick then made $$$ tight. So after that I had to become inventive and cautious with picks. #5 Dennis Scott gives me someone to shoot outside without breaking the bank. He’s not the most efficient shooter but fills a need. #6-7 Bol and Embry Fill needs at big. Not at all glamorous choices but fit some needs. Bol defense and blocking and Embry boards and some inefficient scoring.

I was going after players who can clean the glass and play multiple positions effectively. My first 4 picks I feel achieved that.

Im awaiting Robusk evaluation on my GMing this season. He was absolutely spot on with my platoon of ‘good’ players last season.
4/7/2019 8:04 AM (edited)
Posted by isacqbs58 on 4/7/2019 8:04:00 AM (view original):
First two picks Duncan and Magic seemed great fits for what I want this team to do. 3rd pick wasn’t a guy I was thinking about but Dr J was sitting there and hard not to grab. Turnovers are a worry with him but at 2-3 spots he’s a monster on the boards. And here’s where I went south.....4th pick was Drexler and I had him in that #3 slot on my draft board. I didn’t adjust after taking Dr J and took Drexler. That pick then made $$$ tight. So after that I had to become inventive and cautious with picks. #5 Dennis Scott gives me someone to shoot outside without breaking the bank. He’s not the most efficient shooter but fills a need. #6-7 Bol and Embry Fill needs at big. Not at all glamorous choices but fit some needs. Bol defense and blocking and Embry boards and some inefficient scoring.

I was going after players who can clean the glass and play multiple positions effectively. My first 4 picks I feel achieved that.

Im awaiting Robusk evaluation on my GMing this season. He was absolutely spot on with my platoon of ‘good’ players last season.
Well, you can't afford to use the best season of all your selections, so I can't give you too specific a forecast. The best season of each comes out to around $52M. You will probably have to go with a cheap Drexler and a cheap Embry...and if you are doing that why select them where you did? With that being the case you will still be too expensive. The main reason for that is your minutes adjusted usage is around 22 points which is crazy. Duncan and Magic were great picks, I am fine with Drexler and Bol in those spots. Scott is whatever, you could have gotten someone similar for a lot less. Embry is crap and Erving was a terrible pick for you. He is expensive and inefficient, plus has a bunch of usage you don't need.

You will be better than last season but not great.
4/7/2019 2:37 PM
Can you briefly explain minutes-adjusted usage?
4/7/2019 2:49 PM
Posted by NotoriousJ on 4/7/2019 2:49:00 PM (view original):
Can you briefly explain minutes-adjusted usage?
It's just something I look at, I don't think any else uses it so it isn't crucial. It's just usage points * minutes/82 * 1.02 / 48
4/7/2019 2:58 PM
Posted by robusk on 4/7/2019 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by isacqbs58 on 4/7/2019 8:04:00 AM (view original):

Well, you can't afford to use the best season of all your selections, so I can't give you too specific a forecast. The best season of each comes out to around $52M. You will probably have to go with a cheap Drexler and a cheap Embry...and if you are doing that why select them where you did? With that being the case you will still be too expensive. The main reason for that is your minutes adjusted usage is around 22 points which is crazy. Duncan and Magic were great picks, I am fine with Drexler and Bol in those spots. Scott is whatever, you could have gotten someone similar for a lot less. Embry is crap and Erving was a terrible pick for you. He is expensive and inefficient, plus has a bunch of usage you don't need.

You will be better than last season but not great.
I think you guys are looking at the wrong Doc season (81-82 has a 54.7 efg and 11.0 TOV%, not to mention the 100 d) - I think the Drexler pick was the wrong turn as he's redundant with Doc positionally - that said his 3m (partial, post Houston trade) season is pretty sweet
4/7/2019 8:06 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
ODL 71 commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.