Pete Alonso + deGrom Topic

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
4/2/2019 4:43 AM

ATLANTA (AP) Pete Alonso has made a powerful splash during his first two weeks in the majors.

The rookie rocketed his latest homer into a terrace fountain far beyond the center field fence, and the New York Mets beat the Atlanta Braves 6-3 on Thursday night.

Amed Rosario homered and drove in a career-high four runs, and Steven Matz pitched six effective innings to snap the longest streak of no-decisions in Mets history.

Alonso lined a two-run shot in the seventh off reliever Jonny Venters, a 454-foot laser with a 118 mph exit velocity that splashed into the tank beyond straightaway center and wound up floating softly in the water.

''Honestly, when you kind of get a ball like that, you just don't even feel it,'' Alonso said. ''You get this weird sensation. I can't really explain it. You don't feel the ball off your bat. You just hear the sound, and it just goes.''

The only players with harder-hit home runs recorded by Statcast are Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge and Mike Trout.

''I've got to do a couple more pushups,'' Alonso cracked, drawing laughs.

Alonso has 17 RBIs, a Mets record through 12 big league games. His 12 extra-base hits are the most by any major league player since 1900 in the first 12 games of a career.

The big first baseman is batting .378 with six doubles and a 1.362 OPS. His sixth homer put New York up 6-2.

4/12/2019 6:53 AM
so this is the real Mets thread
4/12/2019 11:12 AM

ST. LOUIS (AP) Pete Alonso has slugged opposing relievers during the first month of his big league career.

The powerful Mets rookie struck again Friday night, blasting his seventh home run in New York's 5-4 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals.

''He just grinds out every at-bat,'' Mets manager Mickey Callaway said, ''and if somebody makes a mistake, he just hits it hard.''

And, far.

Alonso homered off Ryan Helsley in the sixth, sending the ball 432 feet into the grassy hill in center - and it turned out to be the winning run.

''The guy on the mound was throwing cheeseballs up there. I think he was like 98, 99 (mph) tonight,'' Alonso said. ''He supplied the power for me, and then I just took a nice easy swing. Thankfully, I caught it on the sweet spot and it went out for me.''

What exactly does it mean to be throwing cheeseballs?

''He was throwing flames,'' Alonso said. ''Just throwing fast, throwing hard.''

All seven of Alonso's homers have come off relief pitchers - but this was his first longball before the seventh inning.

''I want to stay the same Pete Alonso inning one through inning nine,'' Alonso said. ''Keeping a neutral attitude throughout the game, I think I can definitely attribute that to having success.''

4/20/2019 5:49 AM
Alonso is good enough to be the second best rookie in the NL this year.
4/26/2019 4:14 PM

Pete Alonso ties Mets rookie home run record less than halfway through the season

Alonso's 26th homer ties Darryl Strawberry for the most ever by a Mets' rookie

6/22/2019 6:28 PM

2019 MLB Home Run Derby results: Mets rookie Pete Alonso defeats Vladimir Guerrero Jr. for title, $1 million prize

This was one of the best Home Run Derbies of all time

Best Home Run Derby ever? The 2019 edition at Progressive Field in Cleveland is certainly in the discussion. Baseball's profoundly impressive young talent base was on display as Pete Alonso of the Mets topped fellow rookie Vladimir Guerrero Jr. of the Blue Jays in the finals. Alonso becomes the third rookie ever to win the Derby, joining Aaron Judge of the Yankees in 2017 and Wally Joyner of the Angels, who was co-champion in 1986.
7/9/2019 4:19 AM
You’re going to be so bummed when Tatis gets ROY.
7/11/2019 1:52 PM
DAMN YER EYES!!!
7/11/2019 1:58 PM

Mets' Pete Alonso hits majors-leading 50th home run, putting another big record within reach

Alonso is now two home runs shy of tying Aaron Judge's rookie home-run record

9/21/2019 6:58 AM
The Mets are a fun watch. Should be a playoff team.
9/26/2019 4:10 PM

Pete Alonso blasts No. 53 to set rookie home-run mark

Bad_Luck still around?
9/29/2019 3:23 AM

MLB awards: Mets' Pete Alonso wins NL Rookie of the Year honors after historic season

Alonso, who hit a league-leading 53 homers, was one vote short of being a unanimous choice

New York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso was named the 2019 National League Rookie of the Year on Monday night. He prevailed in the voting over fellow award finalists Mike Soroka of the Braves and Fernando Tatis Jr. of the Padres. Alonso was one vote short of being a unanimous choice.

Bad Luck?

11/12/2019 7:46 AM

MLB awards: Mets' Jacob deGrom takes NL Cy Young for second straight year

The Mets' ace wasn't as dominant as he was in 2018, but he was good enough for the hardware

11/13/2019 7:12 PM
12 Next ▸
Pete Alonso + deGrom Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.