Seattle Pilots 50th Anniversary League, full Topic

I'm working on a team
4/18/2019 11:15 AM
Posted by specsman on 4/18/2019 11:15:00 AM (view original):
I'm working on a team
great
4/18/2019 1:08 PM
Posted by VanMeter on 4/18/2019 12:57:00 AM (view original):
Just a FYI for you guys who weren't diehard Pilots fans: the Billy Williams who played briefly for Seattle in 1969 is not the same Billy Williams who had a HOF career for the Cubbies
right and thanks
4/18/2019 1:09 PM
5 are entered already!
Thanks
4/18/2019 1:16 PM
Started building a team.
4/18/2019 3:19 PM
I'm all over this... made it out to Sick's five times that year.

My 13th birthday - saw the Yankees with the famous Oyler - Bobby Murcer brawl.
Couple weeks later saw Gene Brabender beat the Orioles - also, a kid got hit in the head by a line foul on the first base side concourse.
Saw them beat the Red Sox in July and caught a Yaz batting-practice homer - my brother and I played catch with it all summer.
Saw them lose to the Royals in early Sept.
Saw the last MLB game in Sick's - a loss to the A's... did get autographs from Mike Hershberger & Jose Tartabull Sr.
4/18/2019 4:00 PM
9 in
thanks
4/18/2019 7:11 PM
Posted by finn2030 on 4/18/2019 4:00:00 PM (view original):

Couple weeks later saw Gene Brabender beat the Orioles - also, a kid got hit in the head by a line foul on the first base side concourse.
Saw them beat the Red Sox in July and caught a Yaz batting-practice homer - my brother and I played catch with it all summer.
Saw the last MLB game in Sick's - a loss to the A's... did get autographs from Mike Hershberger & Jose Tartabull Sr.
Interesting stuff, Finn. It must have been heartbreaking for guys like you and razorclams to have an expansion franchise come to town and then have them pull the plug after a year. Odd that they didn't just give Milwaukee the franchise from the get go. Does anyone know more about that story?
4/18/2019 7:21 PM

love the logo & stories...
I'm sure I'll end up putting a team together before the weekend is up :))
4/18/2019 9:43 PM
Posted by 0soup4u on 4/18/2019 7:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by finn2030 on 4/18/2019 4:00:00 PM (view original):

Interesting stuff, Finn. It must have been heartbreaking for guys like you and razorclams to have an expansion franchise come to town and then have them pull the plug after a year. Odd that they didn't just give Milwaukee the franchise from the get go. Does anyone know more about that story?
It was a combination of the team losing money, local ownership ineptness and the sub-standard ballpark. Bud Selig agreed to buy the franchise for north of $10M (Imagine that)… but then Washington state politicos got involved and a spate of would-be local owners tried to save em but the team ended up in bankruptcy and Bud got his Brew Crew - the players went to spring training 1970 as Pilots and headed north on April 1st as Brewers.
4/18/2019 10:40 PM
To quote Gary Lewis and the Playboys, count me in.
4/18/2019 11:18 PM
I will play
4/20/2019 9:15 AM
I am in
4/20/2019 1:41 PM
16 entered!
thanks everyone
4/21/2019 9:58 AM
If you haven't read "Ball Four" your in for a treat. A lot of trivia and interesting things went on in 1969 with the Pilots team.
Personally I liked all the rain outs and then getting to go to see two games for the price of one. Best deal in town.
4/21/2019 10:01 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Seattle Pilots 50th Anniversary League, full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.