Waiver Wire Ethics (Self Dealing?) Topic

You drop a player to the WW from one of your teams in order to upgrade. A few days later you're checking out the WW for another of your teams, see a player you want to draft, then realize you were probably the one who dropped him to the WW in the 1st place (from your 1st team). You can't be sure but the timing is right. OK to draft him anyway if your original intent wasn't to shuttle him between your own teams via the WW, or no under any circumstances? Don't laugh. I lose sleep over stuff like this. Thanks.
4/19/2019 2:00 AM
You're a good man Charlie Brown !

I think it is to your credit you are concerned about it. But since it was not your intent in dropping the player, and assuming you are not running two teams in the same theme or progressive league that you are doing this for, I think it is okay.

When I play OOTP Baseball, one of the big issues is that that game's AI sometimes has some gaps in evaluating future stars and will offer you say, a young Ken Griffey Jr. for a third-string utility player that another team needs. Since you are playing against the AI, ethics issues come up - the AI only knows ratings, you know players, and you know that KG Jr. IS KG Jr., while the computer does not.

So online there are many discussions about under what circumstances you are acting ethically to take a trade offer that is in your favor, since after all that IS why you trade in the first place. But where is the cut off, the line that you shouldn't cross?

Probably this is a missing element of Isaac Asimov's rules for robots, but we are all preparing ourselves for the near future of human-algorithm relations, and what the ethical standards should be.
4/19/2019 5:39 AM
This troubles me too. It seems like a player you waive hits the wire within a few hours. If you see a player there and can be reasonably sure you put him there, grabbing him right away does feel like self-dealing. (There's a squishy standard for you.) The way I handle it is never to claim such a player unless he remains there twenty-four hours after I first noticed him.

It happens to me a fair bit because I'm always shuffling through 200-300K pitchers who are used to take one for the team. Redding, Shaw, Milone . . . you know the type.
4/22/2019 6:11 PM
Waiver Wire Ethics (Self Dealing?) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.