Can someone explain... Topic

I don't understand pushing out against a team that only shoots inside. Good IQ for defense needs little direction. Pushing outside basically means you're putting your guards on their back foot against him and leaves even more space in the interior to invade.
4/20/2019 9:06 AM
The OP also went uptempo which is s bad decision against Myers. His fatigue penalty wasn’t a ton but it was there.
4/20/2019 12:12 PM
One thing that you didn't pick up in the box score. He ended up with 26 fastbreak points. That right there is a huge percentage of easy baskets, probably shooting around 75%-80%. It's possible your defense was having trouble getting back, and was fouling more often than they should've.

I understand why you would play +3 for that reason, but the problem is the zone already should've taken care and limit the number of fouls. A team like that still normally shoots 60% more 2 point shots than free throws, the primary goal should've been to stop the 2 point shot, but maybe you tried to overthink it.

It was definitely a bad SIM, not sure you would've won, but I probably would've went around 2-3 -3 to -5 depending on his perimeter ratings, higher perimeter ratings, but even if the other team doesn't shoot any 3's you want to be able to cover the mid range shot as well.
4/21/2019 10:18 AM (edited)
Also, after going through the play by play, you committed 19 first half fouls, didn't go through the whole game, but 10 of those fouls were committed in 10 seconds or less after the other team got the ball, which tells me you were having trouble defending the fastbreak.
4/30/2019 1:00 PM (edited)
Posted by thewizard17 on 4/21/2019 10:18:00 AM (view original):
One thing that you didn't pick up in the box score. He ended up with 26 fastbreak points. That right there is a huge percentage of easy baskets, probably shooting around 75%-80%. It's possible your defense was having trouble getting back, and was fouling more often than they should've.

I understand why you would play +3 for that reason, but the problem is the zone already should've taken care and limit the number of fouls. A team like that still normally shoots 60% more 2 point shots than free throws, the primary goal should've been to stop the 2 point shot, but maybe you tried to overthink it.

It was definitely a bad SIM, not sure you would've won, but I probably would've went around 2-3 -3 to -5 depending on his perimeter ratings, higher perimeter ratings, but even if the other team doesn't shoot any 3's you want to be able to cover the mid range shot as well.
Yes it was a BAD SIM!!!

I always play a + DEF against Dickinson. We've played 5 or 6 times and I've won 3 or 4. Usually I play a press/zone but this team doesn't press well.

I didn't adjust tempo because I was a 30 pt favorite. The game guide clearly suggests better teams (30 point favorites) should play at faster tempo and underdogs should play at slower tempos. This is also basic game theory. The more possessions, the more normative the outcome.

There is no way my team should have shot .260 from 3 against his -2 Def. There is no way his guard with a LP rating of 1 should have made 10 baskets against a +3 perimeter defense.There is no way a defense with high iqs that is essentially conceding the lane commits that many fouls. Yes, my bench is young, dumb and not really athletic. They shouldn't have been on the court. My SR A- 61ath 77def PG fouled out in 19 min. My SR A- 69ath 81def PF had 4 fouls in 18 min.

His 530 team somehow managed to shoot 30% better than back to back top 15 teams AND his defense outperformed those top 15 teams by 20%.

This was a BULLSHIT SIM!!!
4/21/2019 12:29 PM
Not always necessarily. I've found at times playing at a faster tempo tends to either tire your team out more than the opponent and/or makes your offense more inefficient by possibly taking a quicker shot, where if you set up the offense and mtake your time you can be more efficient just from my personal experience, not saying it's fact, I don't have any hard facts to support this, but just throwing it out there.

"I didn't adjust tempo because I was a 30 pt favorite. The game guide clearly suggests better teams (30 point favorites) should play at faster tempo and underdogs should play at slower tempos. This is also basic game theory. The more possessions, the more normative the outcome."
4/21/2019 1:12 PM
The results dont surprise me.
4/21/2019 2:15 PM
Just because you played +3, doesn't mean his 1 LP guard is shooting layups. LP is for "low post", his guard still could be hitting outside the lane anywhere from 8-15 foot jump shots. So his guard got in behind your +3 and made NON LP shots.
4/21/2019 7:50 PM
"Usually I play a press/zone but this team doesn't press well." I try to avoid a set that my team doesn't play well.
"There is no way his guard with a LP rating of 1 should have made 10 baskets against a +3 perimeter defense." Has anyone else ever said this about a mfnmyers guard in the history of the planet?
"Yes, my bench is young, dumb and not really athletic. They shouldn't have been on the court." Playing uptempo puts your scrubs on the floor more, not less.

If you won't listen to others, at least listen to yourself, learn from it and forget the "BAD SIM!!!" business if you want to progress.
4/21/2019 10:05 PM
The biggest problem with this whole thing is that you went +3. He has no PER over 58. I would've gone as negative as possible. You have to look at yourself and acknowledge you game planned poorly here.
4/21/2019 10:41 PM
I played Dickinson the next day after this post. Here’s what I did. I’m 5-1 against him.
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=16902460&tab=boxscore
4/22/2019 1:31 PM
Keep in mind, Dickson has a relatively young team, so it's possible more than one specific strategy can work when playing them.
4/22/2019 3:15 PM
I read the OPs first sentence and immediately said, "He played Dickinson."

I agree with most of the points made here, it was a poor gameplan.
4/24/2019 3:27 PM
Posted by Sportsbulls on 4/21/2019 10:41:00 PM (view original):
The biggest problem with this whole thing is that you went +3. He has no PER over 58. I would've gone as negative as possible. You have to look at yourself and acknowledge you game planned poorly here.
He has no one with any LP either. He has 2 players over 70 and they took 8 shots combined.

Let's be honest, no one on his team can shoot worth a flip and there's no way on the he should be capable of shooting 53% against ANY setting.

And for all the bellyaching about the +3 setting. He went 19-37 .514 in the first half against the +3. He went 16-28 .571 in the 2nd half against a combination of +1 and -3. As for his PGs Mowrer, was 5-13 against the +3 and 5-10 against the +1/-3 and Jernigan was 4-11 against the +3 and 3-5 against the +1/-3.
4/24/2019 7:21 PM
Guards with high ath, don’t need lp. It helps but there are plenty of good scoring guards with lp Under 20.

4/24/2019 9:13 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Can someone explain... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.