Geography and Idealogy NHL33186 13 in Topic

I am finishing a birthplace league and thought I would continue on that line but with a twist. I want to create a league with either 3 or 4 different teams: Canada, Europe West and Europe East and possibly US if someone would want to enter one of those
I know that Canada usually wins these leagues but lets take Sweden as and example. Swedish players would be part of Europe West along Fins, Germans, Swiss etc. Sweden does not have a high D center. Now they can have Widing. You can add a lot of firepower by adding Kurri and Selanne. The defense is solid but you can actually add Josi and Ehrhoff. If you take a normal Finland roster, you add Kent Nilsson, Hakan Loob, Erik Karlsson. By combining these teams, they become considerably stronger.
Same goes for East Europe team. This team would be made up of Russia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine etc. Think of a common Russian team. You can add a #1 centre in Peter Stastny. You can add Chara on D. You can put Hasek in net.
I think it would still be tough to beat Gretzky, Lemieux and company but I think this format could make it interesting.

I'm looking at a 180 million cap, no clones etc.
4/30/2019 6:23 AM (edited)
interested, Europe West sounds promising
4/30/2019 9:00 AM
I will watch this. You COULD blacklist the Marios and Waynes who are 20% shooting or more. THEN Ontario could be one country, Then Quebec and the rest of Canada. Another dodge is to let All teams cherry pick say 4 players from B.C. Weber, Anderson, Moog, Sakic, Yzerman, and etc. just 4 and you could keep B.C. aside for that purpose, so owners cannot load up on Quebec, and too much of the rest. So 2 Europes, Ontario, The rest of Canada, and then the USA and rest of the world. Hint: Langway was born in Taiwan, Willi Plett in South America.. Churn this around a bit, and it oughtta work. The last one took a long time, though.. 160m cap is plenty enough
5/1/2019 12:42 AM
I forgot to mention that I would set a cutoff point at 1970-71 making Orr available but excluding the Joe Malones etc. I dont want to blacklist anyone. Team Canada remains Team Canada. Tough to beat...or very tough to beat. However, I've worked out a few rosters at 180m and both Europe teams become interesting as per my examples above.
5/1/2019 6:46 AM
I have found after several years of trying to draft teams that are without either 99 or 66, you won't win, in a league that allows them. I stink in the post season anyhow, but in the reg leagues, I often miss the post season if I don't have Wayne, at least in a league of 70m or more..
5/5/2019 7:21 AM
Posted by Aldershot on 5/5/2019 7:21:00 AM (view original):
I have found after several years of trying to draft teams that are without either 99 or 66, you won't win, in a league that allows them. I stink in the post season anyhow, but in the reg leagues, I often miss the post season if I don't have Wayne, at least in a league of 70m or more..
That's fine Glen and I think many people agree with you. However, there are some here (like myself) who like to defy the odds. The beauty here is that people are welcome to take Canada with 66 and 99 and 4 on defense while others can chose the long shots.
5/5/2019 2:32 PM
Posted by the_skipper on 5/5/2019 2:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Aldershot on 5/5/2019 7:21:00 AM (view original):
That's fine Glen and I think many people agree with you. However, there are some here (like myself) who like to defy the odds. The beauty here is that people are welcome to take Canada with 66 and 99 and 4 on defense while others can chose the long shots.
I take Quebec, will go with Mario and a great bunch of Fr Can players. If the rest, of course, 99, but maybe not 4. he disappeared in my last playoff run. One round 6 games zero points. You can have that stiff. I will take Doughty - Harvey - Byfuglien, and one d with over 60 points.. maybe Coffey for a change. Waste of money, at least with je. I have yet to win a cup with Orr on the team, even though he might have led in reg season assists.. I await the theme.

5/6/2019 11:29 PM (edited)
IIHF world hockey championship starts today. Lets do it folks. East and West Europe challenge Canada
5/10/2019 5:45 AM
I have a team ready from Europe West.
5/10/2019 9:39 AM
I'm good with Canada

and I will stick in a second team. Probably Western Euro' So I am just waiting for the number of the league.. Might be a day or two before I am in with a team..
5/11/2019 12:25 PM
thanks guys. NHL33186.
I just added that we use players from 1944-45 to date. This is in case someone wants to use the Rocket.
5/11/2019 5:27 PM
Posted by the_skipper on 5/11/2019 5:27:00 PM (view original):
thanks guys. NHL33186.
I just added that we use players from 1944-45 to date. This is in case someone wants to use the Rocket.
I never use Malone and those geezers anyhow, but Finnigan and Hart? Man, you gotta let em in.. Set filter at 1 million minimum and then ban before say 1940, but imo you might be better off just letting anyone in.. That way we can still take Hart Finn and whatever.. but that's just a suggestion. Whatever you do is good with me.
5/12/2019 9:45 AM
with 180k you dont need finnigan and hart
5/12/2019 1:34 PM
Posted by the_skipper on 5/12/2019 1:34:00 PM (view original):
with 180k you dont need finnigan and hart
Ya gotta have a Heart.

Anyhow, just post the league number, and I am there for ya

As for the aforementioned, I often see them as -8 with 4 points after 25 games. and... I might quit using such useless bums. For 2.8 m I can still go with Warren Young, , even in a 70m league, or a 100m. and HE will be a + 11 with 15 points after 25 games if he is SLOW.

So I am there with Canada
5/12/2019 6:09 PM
Posted by the_skipper on 5/11/2019 5:27:00 PM (view original):
thanks guys. NHL33186.
League #.
5/12/2019 10:09 PM
123 Next ▸
Geography and Idealogy NHL33186 13 in Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.