strange definition of 'relevant' to me....the Ewing-Oakley years they were pretty consistently the 2nd best team in the NBA

while it doesn't qualify for a chapter in the history books, I'd say it is enough to be relevant
6/18/2019 12:53 AM
Posted by edsortails on 6/18/2019 12:53:00 AM (view original):
strange definition of 'relevant' to me....the Ewing-Oakley years they were pretty consistently the 2nd best team in the NBA

while it doesn't qualify for a chapter in the history books, I'd say it is enough to be relevant
The fact is, in 15 seasons in NY, Ewing's Knicks won only 3 Division Titles.
Pretty hard to "consistently be the 2nd best team in the NBA", when you are 2nd best or worse in your own Division.
6/18/2019 9:13 AM
Posted by pharrop on 6/17/2019 10:15:00 PM (view original):
At first I felt the Lakers should spread the remaining cap room among a few Danny Green/Seth Curry types. After thinking about Pelinka, he is not the type to string all those moves together so going for the big fish might be best for the Lakers. However, if the number is 23 million it will be difficult to find a big enough fish.
I think something like Darren Collison - Danny Green - Brook Lopez would be pretty ideal
6/18/2019 9:57 AM
Posted by all3 on 6/18/2019 9:13:00 AM (view original):

Pretty hard to "consistently be the 2nd best team in the NBA", when you are 2nd best or worse in your own Division.
the fact is in 15 seasons in NY, Ewing's teams made the playoffs 13 times. They may not have been the 2nd best team in the NBA for all of those years but they were one of the better ones. Not Ewing's fault the Bulls and Pistons were usually better.
6/18/2019 11:57 AM
Posted by copernicus on 6/17/2019 7:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 6/17/2019 2:34:00 PM (view original):
I really hope AD does what his agent says he will and files for free agency after the season. As a Laker hater I'd love to see them give up all of that for 1 season of AD.
um...? Either I missed something or I think you may have misread something somewhere - His agent has been very public in saying the only place he intended to sign was with the Lakers
from Sports Illustrated:

Where he’s going to land? I have no idea,” Paul says. “And it don’t matter. We’re going into free agency. Why does it matter to me where he goes? Earth: We’re going into free agency. He has a year, he has to play. But after that, I can’t say it no bigger: WE ARE GOING INTO FREE AGENCY. 2020: ANTHONY DAVIS WILL BE IN FREE AGENCY.
6/18/2019 11:59 AM
so that's the same story where he cooled the market by telling everyone that he wanted to play for the Lakers, right? you're kind of burying the lede

because you see it can be both:
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/6/15/18680583/lakers-trade-rumors-anthony-davis-re-sign-2020-nba-free-agency-news-espn
6/18/2019 1:02 PM (edited)
I'm not burying anything. I know better than to believe anything an agent says
6/18/2019 1:20 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 6/18/2019 11:57:00 AM (view original):

the fact is in 15 seasons in NY, Ewing's teams made the playoffs 13 times. They may not have been the 2nd best team in the NBA for all of those years but they were one of the better ones. Not Ewing's fault the Bulls and Pistons were usually better.
So you're agreeing they were NOT "consistently the 2nd best team". Thank you.
6/18/2019 1:39 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 6/18/2019 1:20:00 PM (view original):
I'm not burying anything. I know better than to believe anything an agent says
but then you just posted the part that you wanted to hear and ignored the more significant statement

I for one just have a hard time believing that Rich Paul is setting out to screw Lebron
6/18/2019 2:32 PM
They are two different articles. In the SI article Paul is quoted as saying AD is going into free agency. In the article you mentioned Paul is not quoted at all. Obviously, he can hit free agency and still sign with the Lakers. As a non-Lakers and non-LeBron fan, I hope he signs somewhere else. That is all I was saying.
6/18/2019 3:50 PM
Posted by copernicus on 6/18/2019 9:57:00 AM (view original):
At first I felt the Lakers should spread the remaining cap room among a few Danny Green/Seth Curry types. After thinking about Pelinka, he is not the type to string all those moves together so going for the big fish might be best for the Lakers. However, if the number is 23 million it will be difficult to find a big enough fish.
I think something like Darren Collison - Danny Green - Brook Lopez would be pretty ideal
You should probably be helping Pelinka. That would be a contending team. AD plays the 4 which is something one hears is important to him. Just not sure how much Lopez is going to cost after the season he had. Going to get a big raise one would think. I heard him on the Lowe podcast back in the Winter and he claimed he was kind of surprised LA did not bring him back. He is kind of perfect for LeBron...certainly more so than Javale McGee.
6/18/2019 4:11 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 6/18/2019 3:50:00 PM (view original):
They are two different articles. In the SI article Paul is quoted as saying AD is going into free agency. In the article you mentioned Paul is not quoted at all. Obviously, he can hit free agency and still sign with the Lakers. As a non-Lakers and non-LeBron fan, I hope he signs somewhere else. That is all I was saying.
in the SI article you quoted (from interviews as early as March btw) Paul basically tells Danny Ainge that he can trade for AD but he will only be getting a one season rental because AD is going to subsequently sign with the Lakers and in the article I posted it talks about getting more money by going FA but still resigning with the Lakers (hence it can be both)

and I understand your hate but I just dont think Rich Paul is a very unlikely candidate to be doing something that will screw Lebron
6/19/2019 1:02 PM (edited)
Posted by pharrop on 6/18/2019 4:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 6/18/2019 9:57:00 AM (view original):
You should probably be helping Pelinka. That would be a contending team. AD plays the 4 which is something one hears is important to him. Just not sure how much Lopez is going to cost after the season he had. Going to get a big raise one would think. I heard him on the Lowe podcast back in the Winter and he claimed he was kind of surprised LA did not bring him back. He is kind of perfect for LeBron...certainly more so than Javale McGee.
maybe Rubio over Collison? pass first, better D but you lose a little shooting which is kind of vital
6/19/2019 11:23 AM
Posted by copernicus on 6/19/2019 1:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 6/18/2019 3:50:00 PM (view original):
in the SI article you quoted (from interviews as early as March btw) Paul basically tells Danny Ainge that he can trade for AD but he will only be getting a one season rental because AD is going to subsequently sign with the Lakers and in the article I posted it talks about getting more money by going FA but still resigning with the Lakers (hence it can be both)

and I understand your hate but I just dont think Rich Paul is a very unlikely candidate to be doing something that will screw Lebron
Rich Paul will probably not screw LeBron, but I think you misread the quote. Paul does not mention any team. He said it doesn't matter where AD ends up, he will be a free agent in 2020. He may very well be a free agent and resign with the Lakers. He may not ever make it to free agency, but according to the quote Paul says he will.
6/19/2019 1:21 PM
Posted by all3 on 6/18/2019 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 6/18/2019 11:57:00 AM (view original):

So you're agreeing they were NOT "consistently the 2nd best team". Thank you.
I don't think that is necessarily what he is saying at all. There can be multiple teams to be 2nd best to over long span of time.

He may agree, but this hardly means he absolutely does.
6/19/2019 2:15 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.