Back to the Future Progressive-Full Topic

Back to the Future Progressive

So, Here we are, in the year 1985, when one of the most awesome movies ever came out, Back to the Future. In honor of Michael J. Fox's blockbuster, we are gonna do a great progressive.
Here are the rules:

So, we start with a team from 1985, pick your team when you enter, first come, first serve, from the list below. This will be a 20 team league.
Thats where we start, but thats not all you'll have to work with, I mean, this is about time travel, right?
So, jump in your DeLorean, go back 15 years, to 1970, grab 2 players from your teams roster, and hit 88 mph and bring those 2 back to 1985 and start them at any season of their career, from there, they will progress 1 season at a time, just like everyone else.
Keep the DeLorean warm, because we aren't done yet! Now get back in that time traveling sports car, and jump ahead to the year 2000, when we were supposed to have flying cars and aliens among us, once there, snag 2 more players from your teams roster, force them into your car by any means necessary and bring them back to 1985, start them at any year of their career, and they too will progress 1 season at a time. Your players from the future(2000) will disappear when you reach their rookie season,(If they come up with your team only) so be careful who you select.
Example-Say I'm the Braves, I bring back Chipper, if he is still playing, when you run into his rookie year, you must re start him as a rookie. BUT if your NYY and Bring back Clemens, it wont matter when he comes up as a rookie with Boston, because he wont bump into himself.

Thats how you get the core of your team, but there's still some tweaking to do, so we will take the 4 teams not selected, plus Toronto and Seattle(They don't have a 1970 season) and draft their players into the league. First season dispersal draft will be in order listed below. (formed by teams 1985 record double weighted, + 1986 and 1987 record.)
Since we can time travel, you may take any two players on your 1985 roster, and jump them back or forward to start them at any season of their career, at which point they will progress 1 season at a time as well. SO, YOU MAY HAVE A MAX OF 6 PLAYERS NOT STARTING IN 1985.

Once you get to the 2000 season, all your "Bring Ahead" players will be gone, and most of your original core as well, and this is a "Time Travel" league that I don't want to turn into a standard progressive, SO, before the 2000 season, you will jump back into the old DeLorean and go back to your teams 1975 season and grab 2 more guys, bring them back and hop right back in and go forward to 2015 and grab 2 guys from there as well, bring them all back to 2000, to help the weakened rosters, again, start them at any point in their career and they will advance 1 year at a time like everyone else.

Then each season, we will also draft their rookies into the league.
You will of course get any player that comes up with your team as a rookie.(Must be first team he has WiS eligablity with)
Any player of your 1985 roster is yours, and may never leave, so no worry of Mark McGwire of taking off and heading to St. Louis, or Barry Bonds skipping out for SF, etc.

Of the 4 players from the future and past YOU MUST SELECT:
2 HITTERS AND 2 PITCHERS -OR-
3 HITTERS AND 1 PITCHERS -OR-
3 PITCHERS AND 1 HITTERS----No Bringing 4 pitchers or 4 hitters

There of course will be clones for a while, but they will slowly work their way out of the league.
No AAA, No injury, YES DH FOR EVERYONE!!!
Alignment will be RANDOM.
Team Names-You must change your teams name and city. I want to see City names that have never had ML teams, and some good, original Team Names!!

You must win 40 games to get one of the top 3 draft spots, otherwise you goto the 4th spot.
Draft order each season will be by reverse order of wins, ties broken by head to head, then less runs scored, then coin flip.

Trades-You can trade almost anything you want! Wanna trade one of your time travel players? Go ahead, Wanna trade your Draft picks? Go ahead. Don't have a player you want to twist on your 1985 roster? Trade for one and twist him! Don't care for a player on your 1985 roster? Swap 'em! -----BUT----- I won't allow you to hurt your franchise's future by trying to win a quick title, then leave the league with a bad roster that will be hard to get rid of.

I would love to get 20 guys that are gonna see this thing through and keep this league going for years to come!!
6/11/2019 2:03 PM (edited)
So many possibilities, who will you bring back, who will you bring forward, who will you restart the careers of, every team has merit, go for an early pick from the pool of talent left from the 6 un picked teams? Go for a Powerhouse team? Its all up to you!!!

Unselected Teams

Montreal Expos
San Diego Padres
Kansas City Royals
Milwaukee Brewers
Toronto Blue Jays (Automatic, no '70 season)
Seattle Mariners (Automatic, no '70 season)

Teams Selected

Chicago Cubs-Mr. Cubbie
L.A.Dodgers-Disco Dogs
Boston Red Sox-contrarian23
N.Y.Mets-alaincath
Baltimore Orioles-Kaboom1969
Pittsburgh Pirates-Donburgh
Atlanta Braves-Mensu1954
NY Yankees-Bpamaco
SF Giants-cpmitchno1
St Louis Cards-luvyablue
Houston Astros-nockahoma
Minnesota Twins-Fabulous
Oakland A's-ff09
Cleveland Indians-Strubrosll
Detroit Tigers-Dannino
Philladelphia Phillies-grayfoxx
Cincinnati Reds-CrazyAmos
Chicago White Sox-Husker75
Califonia Angels-Rufus4ever
Texas Rangers-sohio4ever

Sitemail list- Mr_Cubbie;Kaboom1969;grayfoxx;alainacath;Mensu1954;crazyamos;Donburgh;bpamaco;cpmitchno1;luvyablue;dannino;ff09;nockahoma;strubrosii;fabulous;contrarian23;Husker75;rufus4ever;sohio4ever
6/4/2019 6:55 AM (edited)
First season player dispersal draft order: ('85 wins X2+'86 wins+'87 wins)

1.Pittsburgh
2.Cleveland
3.Atlanta

4.Texas
5.S.F.
6.Chicago(NL)
7.S.D.
8.Baltimore
9.Milwaukee
10.Minnesota
11.Oakland
12.Philladelphia
13.Chicago(AL)
14.Boston
15.L.A.
16.Montreal
17.Houston
18.K.C.
19.California
20.Cincy
21.Detroit
22.N.Y.(AL)
23.St. Louis
24.N.Y.(NL)
5/27/2019 1:05 AM (edited)
Heres an idea of what teams have to offer:

Milwaukee Brewers-11th Pick
Start With-Molitor, Yount, Cooper, Oglivie, Simmons, Gantner, Teddy Higuera, Rollie Fingers, Danny Darwin, Pete Ladd, Moose Haas
Bring Back-Marquis Grissom, Jeremy Burnitz, Mark Lorretta, Charlie Hayes, Bob Wickman, Jason Bere
Bring Ahead-Marty Pattin, Lew Krause, Al Downing, Tommy Harper

Texas Rangers-4th Pick
Start With-Toby Harrah, Buddy Bell, O.Mcdowell, Gary Ward, Charlie Hough, Frank Tanana, Dave Stewart, Burt Hooten
Bring Back-Ivan Rodriguez, Raffy Palmerio, David Segui, Kenny Rogers, Estoban Loiaza, John Wetteland
Bring Ahead-Frank Howard, Joe Coleman

With some good twists and draft, and bringing back IRod/Palmerio and Ahead Frank Howard and Joe Coleman, this should be a solid team!

S.D. Padres-7th Pick
Start with-Tony Gwynn, Steve Garvey, Gary Templeton, Al Bumbry, Lamaar Hoyt, Dravecky, Gossage, Eric Show
Bring Back-Bret Boone, Ryan Klesko, Trevor Hoffman
Bring Ahead-Nate Colbert, Pat Dobson, E.Wilson

Montreal Expos-16th Pick
Start with-Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, Tim Wallach, Vance Law, Andres Galaraga, Bryn Smith, Bill Gullickson, Jeff Reardon, Tim Burke, Steve Rogers, Floyd Youmans
Bring Back-Vlad Guerrero, Jose Vidro, Hideki Arabu, Javier Vazquez
Bring Ahead-Rusty Staub, Claude Raymond
Good base of starting players and good bring back players, even though not much to bring ahead, still solid after twists.

KC Royals-18th Pick
Start With-George Brett, Lonnie Smith, Willie Wilson, Omar Moreno, Frank White, Bret Saberhagen, Leibrandt, Gubicza, Quisenberry
Bring Back-Johnny Damon, Jermaine Dye, Carlos Beltran, Mike Sweeney, Ricky Botallico
Bring Ahead-Amos Otis, Lou Pinella, Moe Drabowsky, Dick Drago
Twist back Brett and Wilson, pull back Beltran and Dye or Damon, pull ahead Drago and Drabowsky-Pretty Solid
6/1/2019 3:12 PM (edited)
I'll take the Cubs!
5/27/2019 1:16 AM
Posted by Mr_Cubbie on 5/27/2019 1:16:00 AM (view original):
I'll take the Cubs!
Yessiree!!
5/27/2019 1:19 AM
Questions:

1. Do the players brought back from 2000 have to be from your franchise their rookie year? If the answer is yes, this makes question 2 moot.

2. Say I take the Braves and bring back Maddux from 2000. Will I lose him in '86 when he becomes a rookie with the Cubs or would he stay for the rest of his career (unless cut or traded)?
5/27/2019 6:29 AM
I think I get this...will likely have a few questions... but please reserve the Boston Red Sox for me.
5/27/2019 7:05 AM
This sounds awesome, Ive got the Braves in your other league, give em to me again in this one, little different build.
5/27/2019 7:39 AM
Posted by mensu1954 on 5/27/2019 6:30:00 AM (view original):
Questions:

1. Do the players brought back from 2000 have to be from your franchise their rookie year? If the answer is yes, this makes question 2 moot.

2. Say I take the Braves and bring back Maddux from 2000. Will I lose him in '86 when he becomes a rookie with the Cubs or would he stay for the rest of his career (unless cut or traded)?
Unlike my other progressive, I wanted to loosen up on the rules a bit, so, NO, they don't have to have come from your franchise to be brought back or forward this time, and NO, unless you own him on your team and he comes up as a rookie on your team, then you will lose him.
5/27/2019 11:40 AM
Shouldnt the answer to his 2nd question be yes ? If he comes up as a rookie for a different team, then yes you will lose him.
5/27/2019 11:44 AM
I'll try this progressive out, let me get the New York Yankees.

Switching to the NY Mets.
5/27/2019 1:41 PM (edited)
Changed my mind, I don't want the same team as I already have in the other league, gonna try the Orioles instead plz
5/27/2019 12:26 PM
Posted by grayfoxx on 5/27/2019 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Shouldnt the answer to his 2nd question be yes ? If he comes up as a rookie for a different team, then yes you will lose him.
Nope, if he is on your roster and he comes up with another team, it will not affect your version of him. If he is on your roster, and comes up as a rookie on your roster, then you must start him over as a rookie.
5/27/2019 12:28 PM
Your players from the future(2000) will *disappear* when you reach their rookie season, so be careful who you select.

Then what does this mean?
5/27/2019 12:32 PM
1|2|3...10 Next ▸
Back to the Future Progressive-Full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.