Craziest Sparky Decision Ever? Topic

https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=32280253&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=1

This just happened in an open league I'm in.

With first and third, one out in a tie game in the bottom of the ninth, Sparky intentionally walks .174/.191/.196 Clayton Kershaw to bring up .275/.378/.411 Joe Morgan.

I've seen some weird ones in my day but I gotta say I'm a bit baffled by this one.

5/29/2019 7:51 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 5/29/2019 7:51:00 PM (view original):
https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=32280253&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=1

This just happened in an open league I'm in.

With first and third, one out in a tie game in the bottom of the ninth, Sparky intentionally walks .174/.191/.196 Clayton Kershaw to bring up .275/.378/.411 Joe Morgan.

I've seen some weird ones in my day but I gotta say I'm a bit baffled by this one.

Given that Kershaw's presence on the basepaths is irrelevant to the outcome, there's no reason not to do it... except for the fact that Kershaw should be an easy out. Yeah that's odd.
5/29/2019 7:57 PM
It sets up the force play at home, which is somewhat meaningful in a tie game in the 9th with 1 out. But I agree that does not seem worth the trade of Kershaw for Morgan. Wonder how high the Int Walk setting was for the opposing manager. Mine is always set very low, so I almost never see an intentional walk that I would question.
5/29/2019 8:36 PM
the force at home is certainly worth something, but is it worth enough to make up for the fact a walk now ends the game when it wouldn't with runners on first and third? even assuming hitters of equal caliber, I'm not sure it is.

5/29/2019 9:24 PM

Wonder how high the Int Walk setting was for the opposing manager.

I clicked on the team, saw 33 intentional walks in 46 games.

Like the volume knob on Nigel Tufnel's amp, I think this owner's Int Walk setting goes to 11.
5/30/2019 10:18 AM
Wow...that's insane. I set my IW setting to 1 ("rare") and my teams average well under 10 IBBs for an entire season.

06gsp...there's your answer.
5/30/2019 11:29 AM
Shouldn't IBB still consider context? Even a setting of 5 shouldn't just issue IBB to anyone. With a runner on first, there's a high likelihood of a DP with a weak and slow hitter up. Doesn't seem to be even close to a good tradeoff just to set up a force at home.
5/30/2019 1:03 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 5/30/2019 11:29:00 AM (view original):
Wow...that's insane. I set my IW setting to 1 ("rare") and my teams average well under 10 IBBs for an entire season.

06gsp...there's your answer.
yep, that makes sense. nice sleuthing, gentlemen.
5/30/2019 1:19 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 5/30/2019 1:03:00 PM (view original):
Shouldn't IBB still consider context? Even a setting of 5 shouldn't just issue IBB to anyone. With a runner on first, there's a high likelihood of a DP with a weak and slow hitter up. Doesn't seem to be even close to a good tradeoff just to set up a force at home.
Probably...but it seems to me that a 5 setting on this site - anywhere - means "do this pretty much every chance it even remotely might be a good idea." My recommendation is never use a 5 for anything unless you are willing to let Sparky really go crazy.
5/30/2019 2:28 PM
As far as I can recall I only used the "5" setting once, and that was for games against a division rival in a prog league who had Babe Ruth in one of his monster seasons, surrounded in the lineup by a bunch of slugs. It worked out pretty well, too.
5/30/2019 4:33 PM
The only "5' setting I ever (and even at that, rarely) use is for base running aggressiveness when I've built a crazy speed team.
6/5/2019 1:16 PM
Craziest Sparky Decision Ever? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.