Future Veteran's Committee elections Topic

Omar is getting plenty of support so far and I expect his total's to jump even more next year since the ballot has been freed up.
6/2/2019 2:19 AM
but not by you

you hate Grich
6/2/2019 11:58 AM
Well, I think there has been ample and discussion about Modern Baseball candidates.

Let's move on to the Golden Days (1950-1969). Chances are this committee will be reviewing players we've seen before, several of which had decent support among the writers.

Expect to see Roger Maris, Gil Hodges, Elston Howard, Maury Wills, Frank Howard, Rocky Colavito, Vada Pinson, Tony Oliva, and maybe Norm Cash.

Based upon their career span, Dick Allen and Jim Kaat might be on this ballot as well.

Elston Howard definitely deserves a plaque. Colavito has some impressive seasons but counting numbers aren't great. I think either Pinson or Oliva to get elected along with Howard.

Any other players I missed from this era?

6/2/2019 1:32 PM
If they manage to ramrod Mattingly in because of his peak then Cash has to go... better peak and better career.
6/2/2019 1:36 PM
dick allen will get in if he is on the ballot....i like pinson to get in too.
6/2/2019 1:45 PM
Dick Allen has a volume problem, but I agree with you. He's up there with Ted Simmons on my list of most obvious oversights.
6/2/2019 1:47 PM
Ken Boyer and Luis Tiant will probably be on the Golden Years ballot. Forgot about them!
6/3/2019 1:47 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/2/2019 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Dick Allen has a volume problem, but I agree with you. He's up there with Ted Simmons on my list of most obvious oversights.
dick allen has gotten a bad rap for being a bad guy...so incredibly untrue.
i think voters have warmed to him and there is more emotional support for him ..it is my strong gut feeling that he will get in.
6/3/2019 2:50 PM
If you look at the 10-12 years he was a full-time player, he was virtually identical to Hank Aaron. Obviously a big part of what was great about Aaron was that he played for so much longer than 10-12 years while maintaining a high level. But seriously. Virtually identical.
6/3/2019 2:54 PM
i didnt know that.......

2020 coming......10th year for larry walker......jeter gets in.......8th year for bonds/clemens.
im interested in how first year bobby abreu is treated.
6/3/2019 3:04 PM
dahs...your command over statistical analysis and relevance is incredible.
6/3/2019 3:06 PM
Posted by dino27 on 6/3/2019 3:04:00 PM (view original):
i didnt know that.......

2020 coming......10th year for larry walker......jeter gets in.......8th year for bonds/clemens.
There are some interesting candidates next year. Obviously, Jeter will be a lock but I'm curious what kind of support Jason Giambi, Alfonso Soriano, Paul Konerko, and Cliff Lee get.
6/3/2019 4:39 PM
none of those guys are hallers in my book
6/3/2019 5:16 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 6/3/2019 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 6/3/2019 3:04:00 PM (view original):
i didnt know that.......

There are some interesting candidates next year. Obviously, Jeter will be a lock but I'm curious what kind of support Jason Giambi, Alfonso Soriano, Paul Konerko, and Cliff Lee get.
I’d say Cliff Lee is the only potential HoFer out of that group. He’s Roy Halladay with a less dominant peak. So he might max out at 50% of the vote.
6/3/2019 5:29 PM
Posted by all3 on 6/1/2019 10:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 06gsp on 6/1/2019 7:06:00 PM (view original):
Lofton career WAR: 68.4
Raines career WAR: 69.4

not close to Raines, eh?

Raines was certainly a better hitter in the context of his era, but they were very similar in what they actually did at the plate, which was the point of the comparison. And Lofton was a much better fielder, he played center field at an elite level for a long time while Raines was a mediocre left fielder.

Maybe this just proves what some on this site think - WAR is a useless piece of crap.
it's not useless. It has its merits, but it is not the be all and end all of stats.
6/3/2019 7:07 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Future Veteran's Committee elections Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.