recruiting for dummies Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/31/2019 9:55:00 PM (view original):
an old friend offered to let me play around with his teams a bit to see if i had interest in one of my own. the team setup part is like riding a bike, been enjoying that a bit, but now its time to try recruiting and i don't know literally anything.

1) whats the deal with preferences? how much are they worth roughly, and like, what would one consider 'good' preferences and 'great' preferences on a player one would recruit? like im assuming a dude with a net 0 preference for you, that probably is considered bad and a reason not to recruit a player, and that folks are mostly recruiting dudes who have preferences. or maybe preferences are negligible and i should ignore that crap, at least for now?

2) whats the deal with AP, are they worth much - about how much?

3) scouting - is there a relatively accepted way to quickly go through scouting the local guys and stuff without spending a stupid amount of money? not looking to spend 10 hours optimizing my scouting money, but not looking to spend 10 minutes and only have 20% efficiency. i have maybe an hour or so i can spend on scouting, is that way too little to be effective?

4) is recruit generation unchanged from before? like meaning the amount of good players is the same as it was? this is high d1 question. i know its harder to find and get a lot of great guys, just from anecdotally hearing a lot of people say that and teams in general looking less perfect. but i don't know if that is due to the recruiting changes or also recruit gen changes (the ratings and potential players are generated with).

thanks!
Recruit generation has changed.
5/31/2019 10:00 PM
everything i look at recruit list wise is a visual disaster - like under scouting, or recruiting searches, there are like player names on the left and ratings or preferences on the right, but the rows don't line up. is there like, a preferred browser or something to use so that the stuff shows on the same line?
5/31/2019 10:38 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/31/2019 10:38:00 PM (view original):
everything i look at recruit list wise is a visual disaster - like under scouting, or recruiting searches, there are like player names on the left and ratings or preferences on the right, but the rows don't line up. is there like, a preferred browser or something to use so that the stuff shows on the same line?
My preferred browser is firefox.
5/31/2019 11:35 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/31/2019 10:38:00 PM (view original):
Mine is this way as well. I thought everyone was dealing with this, no? (I use chrome)

it's fine towards the top of the list, but further down the page, the lines start to jump around a bit

6/1/2019 4:05 AM
If the lines don't match up, try adjusting the zoom level. That fixed it on Chrome for me.
6/1/2019 6:00 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/31/2019 9:55:00 PM (view original):
an old friend offered to let me play around with his teams a bit to see if i had interest in one of my own. the team setup part is like riding a bike, been enjoying that a bit, but now its time to try recruiting and i don't know literally anything.

1) whats the deal with preferences? how much are they worth roughly, and like, what would one consider 'good' preferences and 'great' preferences on a player one would recruit? like im assuming a dude with a net 0 preference for you, that probably is considered bad and a reason not to recruit a player, and that folks are mostly recruiting dudes who have preferences. or maybe preferences are negligible and i should ignore that crap, at least for now?

2) whats the deal with AP, are they worth much - about how much?

3) scouting - is there a relatively accepted way to quickly go through scouting the local guys and stuff without spending a stupid amount of money? not looking to spend 10 hours optimizing my scouting money, but not looking to spend 10 minutes and only have 20% efficiency. i have maybe an hour or so i can spend on scouting, is that way too little to be effective?

4) is recruit generation unchanged from before? like meaning the amount of good players is the same as it was? this is high d1 question. i know its harder to find and get a lot of great guys, just from anecdotally hearing a lot of people say that and teams in general looking less perfect. but i don't know if that is due to the recruiting changes or also recruit gen changes (the ratings and potential players are generated with).

thanks!
re: preferences - can definitely sway a battle but does not mean players with poor match on preferences will not sign with a team. Poor preference match may mean that it will take a little longer/ little more effort to unlock a scholarship, home visits, promises, etc. Some have tried to get a handle on how much preferences are worth, but not sure anyone knows for sure since unlocking above actions also depends on your prestige and the recruits' lofty ideas of himself. If two recruits look equal in terms of projected ratings, then I would probably aim for the one with a good preference match over the poor preference match, but I tend to not pay too much attention to the preferences unless / until I am in a battle. Then it can make a difference to sway the signing odds. Perhaps others will chime in, IMO the preference for playing time seems to be the biggest preference, especially if minutes are promised before other actions since this can increase the effective of future actions. The offense / defense preference seems to be big. Not sure about the relative worth of the other actions

re: APs - these are like the old letters - they are used to generate interest from the recruit in your school. Relative worth also depends on your school & prestige compared to the recruit - eg. A D3 school recruiting a D3 recruit w/ good preference match might unlock scholarship with 20-40 APs but that same D3 school recruiting a D1 recruit w/ same good preference match might take 100-150 APs. There is no cap on how many total APs you send to a recruit (max 80 / recruiting cycle however). Once you unlock actions you can continue to put APs into the same player - some think 50-100 APs may equal 1 HV? This is up for debate and see what others say. You can also choose to redistribute APs to unlock other recruits as back-ups as recruiting progresses.

re: Scouting - The quickest way that I have found to scout is to do a local camp & scouting service for local states - A local camp scouts players by two levels, scouting service by one level so this will give you a smattering of players who are discovered to levels 1, 2 or 3; I then usually send assistant scouts out in batches of 25, under 500 miles, scout discovered players only and this will quickly move players up from levels 1, 2, 3, to levels 3 and 4 which is when you know potential (level 3 is kind of like old game where you have a general idea but may not know whether high-high, while level 4 gets you that info)

re: I can't really speak to recruit generation - more D2 / D3 experience for me
6/1/2019 6:39 AM
Ggallagh’s answer is good, not much to add.

For preferences, really depends on who is interested in the player. Some preferences are hard to achieve, and some are designed specifically to help certain types of teams, which may or may not be interested, or have properly scouted the player.
ETA - success and distance seem to have more weight than other preferences (other than playing time, which is kind of a separate beast, since you have to unlock promises with effort, and promises have stand alone value for everyone).

Scouting efficiency - close to what ggallagh lays out, but a couple different approaches. I rarely spend more than 20 minutes scouting, and only that much if I really want to.

As for recruit generation, nothing major changed, in terms of broad quality and quantity. The big thing that changes is how people scout affects what is available to them.
6/1/2019 9:09 AM (edited)
Make sure you have 100% zoom in chrome

ignore the Ward guy it's some random dude trolling

About scouting, I urge you to use the scouting service to go by state because it's so cheap, then just individual scout anybody who looks good with their physical/offense/defense. It depends what level they're at, but I also urge you to focus specifically on recruiting athleticism and defense first. There are different ways to win in this game, but ath/de are the two most important ratings.
6/1/2019 9:02 AM
About recruiting, I urge you to look at the best teams in your division (1,2,3) and try to get players like they have. After a player is fully scouted, add 35 for green, 24 for blue, 13 for black, 5 for yellow, and 2 for red to get an idea of what the player will look like fully developed. Avoid work ethic under 20 for now. Be wary about WE 20-30, they won't deveelop quickly at all to reach their maxes.
6/1/2019 9:05 AM
I'm not sure recruit generation changed per se but there are some differences.

During beta I noticed that there were about the same total # of players generated but more were projected as D3 in Beta vs 2.0.

Also, players get to 100 ratings much more frequently now. This could be just due to a rounding thing but you will definitely see more 100s across all divisions.
6/1/2019 2:46 PM
Posted by Benis on 6/1/2019 2:46:00 PM (view original):
I'm not sure recruit generation changed per se but there are some differences.

During beta I noticed that there were about the same total # of players generated but more were projected as D3 in Beta vs 2.0.

Also, players get to 100 ratings much more frequently now. This could be just due to a rounding thing but you will definitely see more 100s across all divisions.
That's a major difference.
6/1/2019 3:36 PM
I agree with what is stated above, but I think there is more to be said on preferences. They essentially determine the value of your recruiting efforts along with prestige. An important aspect of the game is being able to identify what preferences the school you are battling with have in their favor. There are some threads that give info on how to calculate preferences such as perimeter offense, paint offense, strong defense, long time coach, etc. You will want to find those and document them for reference, so you know exactly what you are up against in a battle.

i would post the preference thresholds, but i am away from home and on my phone right now. If nobody else posts it by the time I get home, I’ll post the ones I know.
6/2/2019 11:05 AM
12345 Next ▸
recruiting for dummies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.