Development- age appropriate level Topic

According to the players guide being at an age appropriate level is one of the factors of player development. I have a 21 year old with 3 years of Pro experience. He still has a lot of room to grow (jumped 2 points in several categories following spring training). He would really help my ML squad. Question is - in your experience, will a 21 year old with 3 years pro experience be age appropriate and keep developing in the majors?
6/8/2019 8:33 AM
If he's good enough, and you're going to play him and not leave him on the bench, yes.

6/8/2019 9:25 AM
I've found that age or amount of time in the minors makes little to no difference...IF he gets plenty of playing time at the ML level. I have a player in his 2nd year in pro ball starting for me in the bigs and he's not only playing good but also improving great. I mean he's being coached by my best coaches and getting plenty of playing time...
6/16/2019 7:32 PM
Posted by BucksOwner on 6/16/2019 7:32:00 PM (view original):
I've found that age or amount of time in the minors makes little to no difference...IF he gets plenty of playing time at the ML level. I have a player in his 2nd year in pro ball starting for me in the bigs and he's not only playing good but also improving great. I mean he's being coached by my best coaches and getting plenty of playing time...
This is completely accurate - if your guy is good enough to play at the MLB level, he should be at the MLB level so he can take advantage of the best coaching. However, if he is still a bit off from having MLB ratings, hold off promotions and be sure that he plays in as many games as possible. Also, be sure to promote him to the next level at the end of the season (including playoffs).
6/17/2019 6:47 PM
Posted by tlowster on 6/17/2019 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by BucksOwner on 6/16/2019 7:32:00 PM (view original):
This is completely accurate - if your guy is good enough to play at the MLB level, he should be at the MLB level so he can take advantage of the best coaching. However, if he is still a bit off from having MLB ratings, hold off promotions and be sure that he plays in as many games as possible. Also, be sure to promote him to the next level at the end of the season (including playoffs).
Is this the optimal time to promote a prospect? (ML/AAA/AA, etc)?
6/17/2019 11:55 PM
In my opinion, you should promote prospects at the end of the season only unless you are promoting to the ML. Exception is injuries or other call ups to the majors. However, these should have already been planned for.

If you have a guy in lowA, keep him there until the end of the season. Try to make the playoffs. If you make the playoffs - especially if you make it the championship series of your league, you should get a nice promotion bump after the playoffs are over. Best time to promote guys from one minor league level to the next is around game 4 of the MLB ALCS/NLCS. Should see the best potential bumps if you do this.

I would suggest to do all of them at once though. Don't want to do half of your minors and then forget to do the other half.
6/18/2019 6:11 PM
Posted by tlowster on 6/18/2019 6:11:00 PM (view original):
In my opinion, you should promote prospects at the end of the season only unless you are promoting to the ML. Exception is injuries or other call ups to the majors. However, these should have already been planned for.

If you have a guy in lowA, keep him there until the end of the season. Try to make the playoffs. If you make the playoffs - especially if you make it the championship series of your league, you should get a nice promotion bump after the playoffs are over. Best time to promote guys from one minor league level to the next is around game 4 of the MLB ALCS/NLCS. Should see the best potential bumps if you do this.

I would suggest to do all of them at once though. Don't want to do half of your minors and then forget to do the other half.
If that minor league team does not make the playoffs, should you still wait until the MLB ALCS/NLCS?
I have been doing promotions before/during Spring Training - is this totally wrong then?
It seems there are many theories about promotion bump timing, etc.
6/19/2019 12:49 AM
If you do not promote to fill out your squads during budgeting, it is best to wait until after Spring bumps to promote. I've had a whole team get negligible "promotion" bumps instead of the usually much better "Spring" bumps and it kind of sucked. I never promote during Spring since that happened to me.
6/19/2019 7:09 PM
Fact - two biggest bumps are from spring training and year end promotions.
6/19/2019 7:31 PM
Posted by tlowster on 6/19/2019 7:31:00 PM (view original):
Fact - two biggest bumps are from spring training and year end promotions.
Thanks for the info.

Demotions - should be before Spring Training correct?
I really messed that one up on a player.

6/19/2019 11:09 PM
Yep. Messed that up and got a demotion penalty one year because I demoted during ST.

Also like above I’ve been burned by promoting during ST and getting the nonexistent rating increase vs. the big ST. Also happens when you trade for someone during ST unfortunately .
6/20/2019 8:15 AM
Development- age appropriate level Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.