Arb/Long-Term Contract Topic

I have a player in his 2nd time in arbitration and was going to arbitrate and then sign long term afterwards. I did arbitration but forgot to click “ long term contracts” after and the back button gave me an error. Am I still able to do this or do I have to wait until next season? Still in the arbitration period for the rest of the day.
6/11/2019 7:26 AM
I seem to remember there is a trick to sign long term during or after arb but I forget what it is. Really I wouldn’t worry too much. You probably save money Arbing him this season and you will be able to sign him for 5 seasons next season.
6/11/2019 7:39 AM
Thanks but yeah I was just hoping I could sign him Long-Term now instead of waiting until next off season for peace of mind reasons. That ship might of sailed but if anyone knows the trick that be great.
6/11/2019 8:10 AM
hirschjt you remembered correctly but it's too late now.

When you arbitrate a player you are shown the results screen. That's the player's contract for this season. If you use the Long Term Contract link immediately on that page only, you will be able to negotiate a LT deal that goes into effect the next season.

If you leave the results page at all, that link/option is gone for the season. You will still be able to LT the player before his 3rd arb next season.

6/11/2019 8:25 AM
Thanks, yeah thats what I thought but not a huge deal
6/11/2019 9:36 AM
Just have two windows open at same time. Arb them first then sign the long term deal after.
6/12/2019 12:16 PM
Why does anyone need a trick? I have always been able to sign a guy long term after arbing 2 times the following season.
6/12/2019 1:33 PM
Posted by bripat42 on 6/12/2019 2:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by brianp87 on 6/12/2019 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Why does anyone need a trick? I have always been able to sign a guy long term after arbing 2 times the following season.
He's talking about signing an arb-eligible player for 6 seasons, which can be done if you don't close the contract-extension window. For example, if it's the Season 51 preseason, you can take a player to arbitration for that season, then sign him to a 5-year deal that would cover seasons 52-56.
And I guess the benefit of doing this is you can most likely sign him for the 5 addition years at a lower salary vs. waiting until next season to sign him to the long term contract?
6/12/2019 3:44 PM
So you get them for the same length of time. Are you saying the salary demands will be lower ?
6/12/2019 4:16 PM
Ok so your saying to arb them the 3rd time then offer a long term contract at the same time.
6/12/2019 8:41 PM
I guess that is only good for players that you don’t think will sign a second long term deal. Usually a single season in a long term contract is less than a 3rd arb season.
6/12/2019 8:55 PM
It is kind of splitting hairs / OCD, but I did it with a stud player I knew would leave in free agency first chance he got... his Patience was around 23. So I planned out when his walk year would happen and strategized around it.

6/13/2019 6:51 AM
Arb/Long-Term Contract Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.