Posted by pray4pro on 1/3/2020 6:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pray4pro on 8/7/2019 12:34:00 PM (view original):
So we just had our cycle for DITRs, and I came away with 1 guy who I drafted this season.This was particularly interesting to me because if you have a DITR that was drafted in the same year, their Draft Projections will update.

Player Profile: Johnny Latimore - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

I made a big point to save the Pre-DITR Amateur Draft Projections this season (I don't have much in ADV, so draft scouting is my best bet) and found some interesting things with Latimore and his projections before/after DITR.
  • Before the DITR, he was scouted as 56 overall, and after he is now 79.
  • None of his general & fielding projections changed at all (including makeup, which I found interesting).
  • Of his pitching rating projections, stamina increased (74 -> 84), CTR/VL/VR all increased significantly (51 -> 74, 34 ->74, 54 -> 85). 1/2nd pitches increased about 20 each, with the 3-5 pitches increasing about 30. Vel & GB didn't change at all.
    • The increase projection amounts corresponded with the DITR bump he got. So for instance, the single biggest increase in the actual DITR bump was +9 to VL, which was also the biggest change to his draft projections (+40). From there it pretty much went in order, with VR being the next biggest DITR bump, followed by his 3-5 pitches, and so on. Vel/GB got no DITR bump, which makes sense. So I'm expecting VL & VR to increase significantly for him in the next couple seasons.
  • I had never seen this, but his 4th pitch actually decreased after the DITR bump (38 -> 35). I'm curious if that'll reverse quickly, because the draft projections now have that in the 60's.
Overall if he actually hits these new draft projections, he could be a pretty valuable pitcher, especially for the 4th round pick I took him with. I've had two DITR in the year they we're drafted before, and both of them seemed to land somewhat close to their post DITR draft projections, maybe falling short 3/4 overall. But I never looked into the detail of what projections changed.
Just a quick follow up in case anyone is interested:

Latimore's completed one season after his DITR and it looks as those the projections he had on the draft screen post-DITR are still reasonable. He gained 8 points in STA and 12/15/13 in CTR/VL/VR. If you times all his gains by 2.5, he would project 89 in STA (vs. 84 on the draft screen), 72 in CTR (74), 79 VL (74), & 84 VR (85). That's about how close I feel normal draft projections are fwiw. Obviously the 2.5 projection is not perfect, but I feel like it gives you a decent idea, albeit I'm not sure how well it applies to DITRs. I'll be curious to see how this season goes development wise.
I too have often wondered how close the 2.5 projection is for post-DITR projections, but my general sense is that those are farther off than the original projections x2.5 so it will be interesting to see what happens here.
1/4/2020 9:50 AM
In my opinion, the ditr's are a waste of time as they are currently done. I usually get someone who would have a Hi-A ceiling make it to the bench of AAA or a sometimes starter in AA. I wish, just once, a player could become an all-star player in the majors after being drafted near the bottom (or even the middle) of the draft.
1/29/2020 8:38 PM
1/30/2020 6:29 AM
He was drafted even later than his brother, Albert.
1/30/2020 8:15 AM
Hashtag always sign all of your draft picks that you can afford.

Damag and I have talked about this at length previously. Its rare but chances are Tony wasn't scouted well enough for ratings by anyone. So he slipped in the draft until everyone started drafting players that weren't scouted well enough. I won the lottery and ended up drafting him. Now I make sure I sign every guy that I can at the bottom of the draft. Worst case scenario they are chaff and never actually get assigned to a roster.
1/30/2020 10:23 AM
Exactly the point, lottery tickets. They cost you 15 to 20k. I found Lawrence Urich in the 21st round once. I was drafting HS players so I only saw something like 200 scouted prospects, the rest were "?". After the draft I went back and looked at my pre-draft rankings and he was sitting at, kid you not, 201.

1/30/2020 12:38 PM
I've got a DITR pitcher who has turned out to be a great MLB contributer. Even earned All Star team this season. Not sure if this is rare or not considering this is my first season in HBD.
https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerStats.aspx?pid=9465882
1/30/2020 1:56 PM
All worlds are different. A player's ratings don't exist in a vacuum, they exist relative to the players they're playing against. In one of my worlds DiTRs are cannon fodder; in the other one they can actually have significant major league roles.

1/30/2020 2:49 PM
Player Profile: Hector Peters - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

Future HOF and one of the best players I've ever seen drafted in the 20th round
1/30/2020 5:37 PM
Posted by pray4pro on 1/30/2020 5:37:00 PM (view original):
Player Profile: Hector Peters - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

Future HOF and one of the best players I've ever seen drafted in the 20th round
Wow!! That's amazing.
1/30/2020 5:50 PM
That's ridiculous. Very damn well might be the best single position player I've seen.
1/30/2020 5:52 PM
Wow wish I could get that lucky
1/30/2020 5:52 PM
Switch hitter, too? Ugh!
2/1/2020 12:56 AM
◂ Prev 12345

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.