Opinions needed Topic

If your facing a fast break press team and there 2 leading scorers are a PG and SG who average 50pts a game but shoot no 3s do you take away perimeter or inside? I play a press as well. I assume since they are fast break they get lay ups so the inside makes sense. thoughts? I need this win....
6/12/2019 12:29 PM
I would play 2-3 -3 and double their 2 scoring guards
6/12/2019 12:36 PM
Do they get to the foul line alot? If so, I would probably play a zero, -1 if you think your team is better than theirs ath/spd wise.
6/12/2019 12:41 PM
they are a better than me ath/spd wise
6/12/2019 12:44 PM
they also shoot a ton of free throws. My guards are not as highly rated.
6/12/2019 1:07 PM
How to play Dickinson, the eternal question. :)

If you had better zone IQ, I think the wiz advice would be good. 2-3 at -3 (or 3-2 at -4 or -5) and doubling those two scorers would be an ideal defense. But without decent zone IQ, you’ll probably make too many mistakes - dumb fouls, easy baskets, missed rebounds - to make it work well.

His starter has no LP, so will probably be living on jump shots. The bench scorer has lots of LP, so will be taking more shots near the basket. Since you can’t double these guys with press, you’re probably best off going neutral, or maybe -1. I would also recommend your best ballhandlers get bumped up a little in distribution, specifically, I’d recommend getting Weinberg in the starting lineup, and leaning on him and Kreps in distribution.
6/12/2019 1:50 PM (edited)
Posted by shoe3 on 6/12/2019 1:50:00 PM (view original):
How to play Dickinson, the eternal question. :)

If you had better zone IQ, I think the wiz advice would be good. 2-3 at -3 (or 3-2 at -4 or -5) and doubling those two scorers would be an ideal defense. But without decent zone IQ, you’ll probably make too many mistakes - dumb fouls, easy baskets, missed rebounds - to make it work well.

His starter has no LP, so will probably be living on jump shots. The bench scorer has lots of LP, so will be taking more shots near the basket. Since you can’t double these guys with press, you’re probably best off going neutral, or maybe -1. I would also recommend your best ballhandlers get bumped up a little in distribution, specifically, I’d recommend getting Weinberg in the starting lineup, and leaning on him and Kreps in distribution.
I kind of felt that myers or whatever the guys name is, makes his living at the free throw line, despite the low IQ in zone, more than likely he would commit a lot fewer fouls playing zone and it allows you to double their 2 scorers, where you wouldn't be able to do in a FCP. I just don't think they have the Ath/Spd/Def and stamina to stay with Dickinson running a FCP. It would also appear you can get away with low IQs in a zone, than any other defense. He also appears to use a strategy of giving high distro to his guards to foul the other guards out of the game or at least get them into foul trouble.
6/12/2019 1:56 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
You give yourself a chance to beat Dickinson by taking care of the ball, and avoiding foul trouble. Colorado walloped Dickinson early in the season with a neutral press, and taking care of the ball. With zone, you can get away cheating farther inside. With press, extreme negatives plays right into their game plan, because unless you have an elite athletic defensive team, you will foul too much going very far negative.
6/12/2019 2:17 PM
I went -3 and doubled those two and they murdered me
6/12/2019 6:31 PM
Posted by splash23 on 6/12/2019 6:31:00 PM (view original):
I went -3 and doubled those two and they murdered me
With press, you’re always trying to double everybody. You aren’t actually targeting anyone for a double team. You have to play man or zone to double.

Dickinson is the better team. They’ll be hard to beat this year, with advanced IQs. But I suspect you would have fouled less and kept it a bit closer with your defense set to 0 or -1.
6/12/2019 7:16 PM
Thx
6/12/2019 9:36 PM
Posted by Benis on 6/12/2019 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Gimme dat -5 all day
^
6/12/2019 10:03 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 6/12/2019 2:17:00 PM (view original):
You give yourself a chance to beat Dickinson by taking care of the ball, and avoiding foul trouble. Colorado walloped Dickinson early in the season with a neutral press, and taking care of the ball. With zone, you can get away cheating farther inside. With press, extreme negatives plays right into their game plan, because unless you have an elite athletic defensive team, you will foul too much going very far negative.
I agree with the part that you have to take care of the ball, no question. It would be unfair for me to say look at the result of the FCP when he committed 33 TOs, but it may have had an indirect impact due to his guards getting in foul trouble, which may have played a part.

There is a huge difference between playing 2-3 -3 and FCP and -3 when it comes to number of free throws. I wasn't advocating whatsoever playing FCP and -3. Playing 2-3 zone at -3 allows to stop his inside game and playing zone, even with the low IQ's will diminish the number of FT attempts significantly, while having the option to double team his 2 high scoring guards. But even playing at 0 or -1 running FCP, based on Dickinson's results , they still would've committed a significant amount of fouls.

However, I'm thinking low IQ zone, you may be able to get away with more mistakes compared to man to man where there is little room for error. But, my guess is even a missed defensive assignment here or there, maybe a stupid foul or whatever the case is, due to lack of Def IQ, the options you had running that defense would outweigh playing FCP where he was clearly over matched.
6/12/2019 11:32 PM (edited)
If he had ~B level zone IQ, I think that’s all possible. Since most of his team is C- and lower, Dickinson would still shred that defense. A bit fewer fouls, sure (though less of a discrepancy between a neutral press). But they also shoot +% and get more rebounds.

I havent seen anything that that leads me to believe that IQ is more or less important in one set or another. I think overall it probably has a little less impact than some folks think, but not remotely to the point where the set itself matters so much that it makes a positive difference to switch when few of the players know it.
6/13/2019 9:20 AM (edited)
Opinions needed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.