Highest ranked D3 recruit Topic

Just out of curiosity, what's the highest ranked recruit you've ever seen a D3 team get?
6/12/2019 9:33 PM
I had a guy Peter North that was able to get to 690 in D-3.
6/13/2019 2:32 AM
I’ve seen started players fall to D3. At least a 2 star .Maybe 3. It’s really rare. I normally don’t even try for guys over about 550 overall and/or are ranked at their position.
6/13/2019 5:48 AM
At least one has been drafted.

Yeah, really rare, and risky to go after a guy like that. You have to sink most of your resources just to keep the sims away, and you have to correctly gamble that he won’t be a priority for higher level teams.
6/13/2019 9:28 AM
I've had a number of guys ranked between 100 and 150 at their positions. Only a small handful in the top 100. Highest-ranked guy on my roster right now was #108 at his position, which I would say is probably fairly typical.
6/13/2019 9:32 AM
I came super close to signing at 4 star one time w/ CNU in Phelan. If he didn't take 4 cycles to sign in the 2nd session I would have signed him. He was a pretty ****** 4 star, but I just wanted to see if it was possible.
6/13/2019 10:27 AM
Posted by CTCommodore on 6/12/2019 9:33:00 PM (view original):
Just out of curiosity, what's the highest ranked recruit you've ever seen a D3 team get?
I think in the past they had a 800 overall rated player and I think that was a Dickinson team.
6/13/2019 10:46 AM
There are very high overall players. I’ve has some in mid to high 800s and people obviously have had higher. But I assume you’re referring to like getting starred recruits, and for that I will say this: if a player is good enough to be worthy of that star ratings, you will not get him. If he is a starred player and you do get him, he’s very likely to be really bad and you will be able to get better options that aren’t rated as highly. All in all, I advise you avoid players that are overall ranked above 200 entirely. I rarely try to get overall ranked players.
6/13/2019 12:07 PM
I think it's a mistake to just rule out any group of players based on a single characteristic. The flaws that make a player undesirable to D1 human coaches don't necessarily make them bad options at D3. For example, my #108 at his position guy I have right now is Andrew Negrete. It's very obvious why he dropped to a D3 team - his defense isn't good enough for D1. It would be pretty subpar for D2. But he's a very nice D3 player. Not a superstar, but a very nice player. It wouldn't make sense to avoid him just because his relatively high positional ranking suggests that D1 teams have probably looked at him and passed.
6/13/2019 12:12 PM
6/13/2019 1:02 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/13/2019 12:12:00 PM (view original):
I think it's a mistake to just rule out any group of players based on a single characteristic. The flaws that make a player undesirable to D1 human coaches don't necessarily make them bad options at D3. For example, my #108 at his position guy I have right now is Andrew Negrete. It's very obvious why he dropped to a D3 team - his defense isn't good enough for D1. It would be pretty subpar for D2. But he's a very nice D3 player. Not a superstar, but a very nice player. It wouldn't make sense to avoid him just because his relatively high positional ranking suggests that D1 teams have probably looked at him and passed.
If I’m reading sportsbulls right, he’s talking about players ranked above 200 overall. So on average, about #40 or so by position. That’s still *really high* for D3, and it’s usually too high for D2. Probably a couple of those guys drop to D3 every few years, but it’s generally because no one at D1 or D2 want them. I generally agree, #100 by position is about the ceiling. But as you say, I don’t exclude anyone just based on OVR; if they start pretty low in ath/def, but I can project them to be useful and worthy of the resources and risk to take a shot, I’ll go after a higher level player. In general, if you aren’t getting challenged for recruits by higher level teams, you might want to think about aiming a little higher.
6/13/2019 1:31 PM
Posted by Sportsbulls on 6/13/2019 12:07:00 PM (view original):
There are very high overall players. I’ve has some in mid to high 800s and people obviously have had higher. But I assume you’re referring to like getting starred recruits, and for that I will say this: if a player is good enough to be worthy of that star ratings, you will not get him. If he is a starred player and you do get him, he’s very likely to be really bad and you will be able to get better options that aren’t rated as highly. All in all, I advise you avoid players that are overall ranked above 200 entirely. I rarely try to get overall ranked players.
Yeah I usually won't look at guys ranked inside the top 100 for their respective position; was just curious to see if anyone has been able to steal a starred recruit at the D3 level. The only way I thought it might make any sort sense is if one non-sim team offered them but did not have any scholarships left.
6/13/2019 2:50 PM
It seems like it's pretty nice to get guys in the low 500s with green & blue potentials in several areas. But above 550, like Trentonjoe mentioned, are harder to snag and might not be worth wasting the AP up until a D1 or D2 comes in or they'll likely have a problem area (super low WE or ATH). My advice would be looking for guys with high WE. Because they'll get good much quicker and be capable starters earlier in their career.
6/13/2019 6:53 PM
In Phelan mount ida just signed the #32 ranked PF. I believe he was a 1 star as well. Crazy part was the coach left so technically a sim d3 team signed him.
6/13/2019 7:19 PM
Posted by Adjacent1 on 6/13/2019 7:19:00 PM (view original):
In Phelan mount ida just signed the #32 ranked PF. I believe he was a 1 star as well. Crazy part was the coach left so technically a sim d3 team signed him.
Is he any good?
6/13/2019 10:03 PM
12 Next ▸
Highest ranked D3 recruit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.