non conference schedule Topic

an all away game non conference schedule for sos + rpi ratings is over rated..why would i deny my students & college basketball fans a chance to see our team play before going for a conference championship? makes no sense to me..
6/13/2019 11:58 AM
Posted by franklynne on 6/13/2019 11:58:00 AM (view original):
an all away game non conference schedule for sos + rpi ratings is over rated..why would i deny my students & college basketball fans a chance to see our team play before going for a conference championship? makes no sense to me..
Don't have fans in this game and you don't make money selling seats.
6/13/2019 12:05 PM
I try to schedule at least 4-5 home games if I'm in a rebuild in a tough conference. Otherwise it's going to take forever to improve your HCA. And having that HCA can actually help you win conference games and improve your prestige.
6/13/2019 2:58 PM
Posted by WardoYT on 6/13/2019 4:05:00 PM (view original):
Thank God you're here for us, "Wardo."
6/13/2019 4:08 PM
Do you guys want a quick confession.... I always schedule 10 away games against the worst Home court and best teams I can find, unless another coach offers me a game.
6/13/2019 4:25 PM
Posted by pallas on 6/13/2019 8:08:00 PM (view original):
Must have left his sense of humor at home.
6/13/2019 4:26 PM
Posted by franklynne on 6/13/2019 3:58:00 PM (view original):
There should be a severe penalty reducing home court advantage for coaches who schedule three or less home games in the first ten.

If you don't care about your home fans, why should they support you?
6/13/2019 5:06 PM
it is overrated a bit now that the algorithm for seeding is a lot more reasonable. it used to be so heavily RPI dependent that gimmicking your RPI was almost considered a requirement at high levels of the game. the best way to do that is to play all away games in non conf against teams who will win a lot but aren't great (solid teams in **** conferences).

you would deny your fans because they aren't real and we only care about their simulated properties... and they are happy to follow teams who play 100% road games in non conf, so why not? agree with you that it probably shouldn't be that way, but this game really has no 'owner' role or concepts, like managing the fan base, except for a near-toothless home court rating. not sure i'd even want them to add all that stuff, to be honest.

edit: just to be clear, home court rating matters - a lot - its just damn near trivial to nearly max it, and the benefit of truly maxing it vs nearly maxing it is almost nothing. so its not really an area of the game ripe for strategy, it just kind of exists, i guess.
6/13/2019 6:49 PM
Posted by Benis on 6/18/2019 8:58:00 PM (view original):
Texas Southern does it in real life.
ouch... i suspect starting 0-13 was not the plan
6/19/2019 12:04 PM
Yeah, I used to do this a lot, and still do to some extent. Once the donors started sending me death threats and they stopped giving money to the AD, I realized that I maybe should schedule more home games.
It's good for business, too. I know the folks working the concession stands appreciate.
6/19/2019 8:19 PM
gotta get those early road wins against teams that will win a bunch of games

Hawaii Road Warriors did not play at home until game 14 this season....
6/20/2019 9:23 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 6/20/2019 9:23:00 PM (view original):
gotta get those early road wins against teams that will win a bunch of games

Hawaii Road Warriors did not play at home until game 14 this season....
this is the perfect strategy of old, but i've personally moved on from it at least in part. i think a modernized version, adjusting for the reduced value of RPI scamming, would be to basically combine a schedule that is 2/3rds like FD's, and 1/3rd-1/2 against what you would consider the upper crust of your peers. i like to put the tough games all together, like the back end of non-conf, so i can get a quality early evaluation of where my team stands today. also in case i forget to set my team up for the first 5 games, i can probably survive it.

but anyway, i think its valuable for coaches - especially those without great conferences - to play some hard teams early to get that early reality check. a bunch of teams don't play a string of tough opponents all season, except maybe in the NT, and by then it could be too late to act on any observations. it used to be so important to scam RPI in non-conf, that you just about felt you had to do it. i don't really think it is true anymore, allowing for additional goals in non conf.
6/21/2019 2:28 PM (edited)
agree with gil - depending on strength of one's conference and one's team

if conference wins are hard, out of conference needs to lean easier.
6/21/2019 4:07 PM
Posted by pallas on 6/13/2019 4:08:00 PM (view original):
TBH, this is by far the most sensical thing I've seen him post.
Agree on all accounts.
6/21/2019 5:03 PM
12 Next ▸
non conference schedule Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.