Anyone ever tried a 4 guard lineup with a motion offense?
6/15/2019 11:08 AM
Some have, you will get crushed on the boards and on second chances points. But if you are running press and you have speed, lots of speed, plus scoring, I think it could work out.
6/15/2019 11:38 AM
look at ratings and not at stated positions. You can find high REB guards which you must have to succeed with such a plan
6/15/2019 11:41 AM
This player would be good to run at the PF spot at D2 in a 4 guard lineup. REB will be 69. And I'd do it myself actually, but i don't run the right sets with this team.

https://imgur.com/a/qKLwppz

Add on..... when he gets more developed that is. He's a freshman now. But his LP could possibly grow a lot too, which would help a lot obviously
6/18/2019 12:07 PM (edited)
What would be the ideal offense for a 4 guard set? Fastbreak?
6/19/2019 10:19 AM
Fastbreak or flex probably. Motion wouldn't be my first choice.
6/19/2019 11:32 AM
Posted by Tiptop00 on 6/15/2019 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Anyone ever tried a 4 guard lineup with a motion offense?
the bigger question then does it work well with motion is, what is your defense? also i'm assuming that by 'guard' you mean 'player with guard-like properties', not listed position.

basically, the problem with 4 guard offenses is there just isn't enough of a payoff to offset the rebounding. if your 3/4 are really small forward who are listed as guards, that wouldnt be so bad, but with regular guards, its really kind of a mess. in the press, you get more value from trapping and having speed at the 4 than other sets, but even in the press, i'd prefer a quality post defender (def, ath, blk) over a speedy per-defense oriented guy. in man or zone, its not even close.

offensively, there is a limit to how much offensive talent you need on a team. you want to get guys who are really good scorers, and give them most of the shots, instead of having a bunch of decent guys sharing the load. you should be able to get plenty of per scoring by running 2-3 guards, really by the 3rd, if you don't have enough per scoring, adding a 4th guard is probably not the way to solve that problem.

also, the extra bh/pass at the 4 doesn't really help you. it might save you a fractional turnover, but that is barely going to make a dent in the several rebounds per game you are losing.

i was really keen on making a 4 guard lineup work - and it certainly can work, if your definition of work is to do pretty well. but if by work, you mean not being disadvantaged against a more traditional lineup, then i don't think it really pans out that way, generally speaking. your best bet would be to run fb/fcp where you can tolerate less rebounding and need more stamina, both of which make the 4 guard lineup more viable. i've definitely seen some good fb/fcp teams that were like, 3 guards and a sf and a c.
6/19/2019 11:54 AM
I've found that good rebounding, post players seem to be more effective than a guard type player at the 4. In the fastbreak/full court press system, speed does have some value. I do think you can recruit SF/PF type players with some speed to play the 4. At high D-1 levels. it's not that uncommon to have a 50/60 speed guy with good post/rebounding ratings. High speed/perimeter ratings may have more value in a flex at the 4, but haven't tested that out, but can't really see it working in motion.
6/19/2019 2:25 PM
I"ve always had success with 50-70 rebounding/low post guys but with good speed and perimeter at the 4.I think you can make up for below average rebounding ratings with athleticism.

A 90
Spd 50
Reb 65
Def 90
LP 75
PE 45
6/19/2019 2:30 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 6/19/2019 2:30:00 PM (view original):
I"ve always had success with 50-70 rebounding/low post guys but with good speed and perimeter at the 4.I think you can make up for below average rebounding ratings with athleticism.

A 90
Spd 50
Reb 65
Def 90
LP 75
PE 45
i agree with you, i wouldn't call a player with those ratings a guard, however.

i think we are all roughly on the same page here - you can play small ball, but if one is thinking of actually running 4 traditional guards (high spd/per/bh/pass, low reb/blk), that is probably too small - regardless of listed position.
6/19/2019 4:03 PM
Thanks, guys. Great information.
6/19/2019 4:17 PM
Post guys with passing are beautiful. I'd rather play way too much rebounding than too little. Guard rebounding and post ball handling are great, but you can't give one up to get the other back.
6/19/2019 11:00 PM
Free throw line is where you offset the rebounding
6/19/2019 11:12 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.