CHR 1992 Lottery Standings - Full Topic

I've got a few questions on here that I don't want to bog down the message boards with. Anyone willing to clarify a few things and answer some questions I have via DM? Thanks!
6/25/2019 11:58 AM
Posted by tigerfan2010 on 6/25/2019 11:58:00 AM (view original):
I've got a few questions on here that I don't want to bog down the message boards with. Anyone willing to clarify a few things and answer some questions I have via DM? Thanks!
Be happy to.
6/25/2019 1:34 PM
bump
6/26/2019 7:10 PM
It occurs to me - no offense intended to our commissioner - that the rules listed in the first post are no longer up to date. The post as written is the way that I first wrote the rules ~3 years ago when I was starting a similar league using the 1901 season. At the time a couple of other owners asked if they could start similar leagues using different seasons...this league started with 1980. So, and I hope this is OK, I have taken a stab at updating the rules to reflect how this league is currently run.
6/29/2019 6:47 PM
This league attempts to replay each major league season as closely as possible. We started in 1980 and recently completed the 1991 season. We need a couple of replacement owners to join us for 1992.

The number one thing to understand about this league is that we use the actual rosters from WIS with no variation. This means we do not allow free agents, twists, SIM-generated AAA, or anything else. You get the guys in the WIS database who played for your team, and that's it. And yes, that means each season there is a chance you are going to get a team that is going to suck, and there will not be much that you can do about it. Hey, someone’s going to end up managing the 2003 Tigers.

Here’s how we’re going to do this:
  1. We use the actual divisional alignment that MLB used, each season.
  2. That means 4 playoff teams each season - the four division winners - exactly as MLB did during those years. When MLB expanded its playoffs and realigned its divisions (in 1994) we will do the same.
  3. Each owner drafts 1 team from the respective season. Obviously teams are exclusive and no duplicate teams are allowed.
  4. Once you have chosen your team, you will go into the draft center and enter your actual players from that season. You can use the “load historical team” feature if you want…this is often the easiest and cleanest way to build your roster, but it’s not infallible. Occasionally players are missed when you load a team that way. If you prefer to draft your players individually, keep in mind that:
    1. For players who were traded or otherwise appeared for multiple teams in a single season, you MUST use the partial-season version of that player. If the player did not get enough PA or IP with your team to warrant a partial-season version then you cannot use him. NO COMBINED VERSIONS OF PLAYERS MAY BE USED.
    2. All players who played for your team in real life, and are in the WIS database, must be on your roster.
    3. Only players who played for your team in real life may be used in games. If you do not have 25 players in the database (unlikely in this era, but just in case), you will draft additional $200,000 players from the database (from any WIS season) to fill out your roster, but these players MUST:
      1. Be manually set to rest at all times
      2. Be manually removed from your player rest, defensive replacement, and PH hierarchies.
    4. In other words, these non-roster players may not be used in games, unless WIS slots them in because of some sort of emergency, and owners should take every possible step to ensure that doesn’t happen.
    5. If you team is short of PA or IP, even very short. So be it.
  5. In most seasons, most teams have MORE than 25 eligible players, we use “draft your own” AAA with the following parameters
    1. Each season, the theme rules will be set for a number of AAA players sufficient to allow the team with the largest real-life roster enough slots to incorporate all of their players.
    2. Teams that have more than 25 players in the WIS database will draft these additional players into AAA slots. These players MAY be used in games, and the transaction deadline will be set as late as possible to allow for roster moves throughout the season.
    3. Teams with unfilled AAA slots can either draft your own $200K players to fill the AAA slots, or just let WIS fill those slots with random AAA players, but in either case, those players MAY NOT be used in games. They should remain in AAA the entire season.
    4. Again, the purpose of AAA is to include as many real-life players as possible; no SIM-generated AAA players should ever be used in games in this league.
  6. By all means, do your best to win as many games as you can with the players you have! This is important for several reasons, including…
  7. …This is NOT a keeper league. Each season we will redraft from the pool of available teams. Owners whose teams most overachieve in the current season will receive the highest draft picks for the next season. “Overachievement” will be defined as “greatest relative improvement in winning percentage.” Or for those who prefer a formula: (WIS winning percentage – MLB winning percentage)/MLB winning percentage. So, if you get stuck with a terrible team in year 1, fear not. If you can win a few more games than they did in real life, you’re probably in great shape to draw a better team in season 2. If, because of owner turnover, we have new owners in the league, they will draft last in their first season (we will use random.org to generate the order for new owners if there are more than one in any given season.)
  8. There will be real drafting strategy here. Do you pick the best remaining team available when it’s your turn? Or the team with the greatest possibility of improving on their real-life record? And obviously there is no benefit - EVER - to tanking. Losing never improves your draft position, and winning never harms it.
  9. Obviously we are not allowing trades or waiver wire here. We use the DH in the AL of course.
6/30/2019 7:17 AM (edited)
Posted by contrarian23 on 6/21/2019 8:26:00 AM (view original):
This is an incredibly fun league. Competition is intense all season long as even the owners with bad teams are trying to improve on their actual winning percentage. Bad teams actually have an advantage in this regard as a 50 win team that improves by 5 games gets a better drafting position for next season than a 100 win team that improves by 8 games.

Stats are incredibly realistic - with the occasional surprise thrown in. And don't think for a second that only the real life playoff teams have a chance in this league...in this league's 12 seasons the RL world series winner has NEVER won the title. Our WS have been won by teams like the 80 and 82 Expos, 84 Astros (!!!), 87 Pirates (!!!!).

This league will really test your managerial skills and rewards owners who can manage a full roster and get the most out of every IP and PA you have.
Yet again, in 1991, we saw a team that didn't make the RL playoffs win the world series. St. Louis (R/L record of 84-78) won the NL East and went on to win the World Series. Only 1 of the 4 MLB division champions won their division in our league in 1991. Any given season there are probably 12-15 teams with a legitimate shot to win.
6/29/2019 6:59 PM
This is an apt update contrarian - thanks!
only item I would amend is about how the lottery works.
6/29/2019 9:40 PM (edited)
Small correction as well:

The 1993 Tigers won 85 games, so I don't think they're the ones we want to single out for being dreadful. Now, the 2003 Tigers? That's a hot mess of a team (43-119).
6/29/2019 9:58 PM
I'd be happy to play if there is a spot remaining
6/30/2019 3:39 AM
Posted by dippedncrack on 6/29/2019 9:40:00 PM (view original):
This is an apt update contrarian - thanks!
only item I would amend is about how the lottery works.
Will do. Can you publish the correct method here and I will update my post?
6/30/2019 7:19 AM
Posted by redcped on 6/29/2019 9:58:00 PM (view original):
Small correction as well:

The 1993 Tigers won 85 games, so I don't think they're the ones we want to single out for being dreadful. Now, the 2003 Tigers? That's a hot mess of a team (43-119).
LOL fixed...thanks. It was the '03 Tigers I was thinking of.
6/30/2019 7:19 AM
Posted by brianjw on 6/30/2019 3:39:00 AM (view original):
This is awesome...and for any of my fellow owners who don't know brianjw...the competition in this league just got tougher.
6/30/2019 7:20 AM
So do we need three or one? List looks like we are up to 23.
6/30/2019 2:06 PM
Posted by brianjw on 6/30/2019 3:39:00 AM (view original):
sweet - welcome aboard!
7/2/2019 1:35 AM
Posted by tigerfan2010 on 6/30/2019 2:06:00 PM (view original):
So do we need three or one? List looks like we are up to 23.
We need 2 - 26 teams total
7/2/2019 1:35 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
CHR 1992 Lottery Standings - Full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.