Humor me on this idea... Topic

I'm fairly new to SIM baseball (two years) and maybe this has been done before, but what do people think of a theme league where everyone has the same team and plays in the same park? Winning would come down to how you truly manage your team -- and a little bit of luck.

The Commish could just set the teams, or upon signing up, each team picks one player up to 24, and the Commish picks a second one -- No. 25. There would be no advantage/disadvantage for when you pick b/c everyone will end up with that player.

The Commish would have to set some limits on picks either for the whole 25-player draft, or as he/she sees fit as the draft progresses and the cap starts to dwindle.

Thoughts?

Eh? Stupid? Or, just might work?
6/20/2019 11:00 PM
It's been done before, and sure, it'll work.
6/20/2019 11:14 PM
Have you don't it before? Or has anyone else? If so, what did you think?
6/20/2019 11:21 PM
Don't believe I was involved myself, but I probably would be in.
6/20/2019 11:30 PM
It has been done. I may have participated in one at some point or other. For me, across 162 games, the random variation inherent in any statistical simulation is going to outweigh any advantage that might accrue from managerial settings, pitch counts, etc. Said differently, I think the outcome of a league like this is significantly more weighted to luck than skill, compared to other themes.
6/21/2019 12:07 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 6/21/2019 1:23:00 PM (view original):
https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=511703
ozo found the link to the league I was trying to recall where the idea was, for all intents and purposes, used. I've played in it at least twice and have done "well enough". I believe the managerial settings are important and can add a limited competitive advantage, however take a back seat to statistical variations and the element of luck. It's a good concept and a fun league to play.
6/21/2019 2:20 PM
Identical roster leagues can take on many forms. Come up with an interesting enough idea, it'll fly.

Two things. It's tough to fill themes right now with the WIS Tourney gearing up. The other is that most like choices, not just given a script.
6/21/2019 5:47 PM
We occasionally run the Big Dick league, which has each owner select 1 player, the 24th owner picks our stadium. Then you are left with 2 roster spots left to fill with the leftover cash...
6/21/2019 5:51 PM
I used to run a league where all the pitchers were the same but owners drafted their unique hitters. That league was quite popular. I’m not sure I’d want to try it with an entire roster.
6/22/2019 8:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I think something like this could be fun, but I've heard a few times that it's hard to fill leagues with TOC going on. How long does that usually last? I am not familiar with the details.
6/23/2019 10:19 PM
One tricky part of filling a league like this is that much of the fun in Sim baseball is actually drafting your team, crafting it to your liking. If all the players chosen for you that aspect of the fun is taken away. You may want to gauge interest with a sign up in the forums before you build the league.
6/24/2019 4:00 AM
Posted by tigerfan2010 on 6/23/2019 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Thanks everyone for the input. I think something like this could be fun, but I've heard a few times that it's hard to fill leagues with TOC going on. How long does that usually last? I am not familiar with the details.
Details: https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=515060
6/24/2019 4:18 AM
Posted by cwillis802 on 6/24/2019 4:00:00 AM (view original):
One tricky part of filling a league like this is that much of the fun in Sim baseball is actually drafting your team, crafting it to your liking. If all the players chosen for you that aspect of the fun is taken away. You may want to gauge interest with a sign up in the forums before you build the league.
Thank cwill. I'm not even sure I would start one, but I wanted to see if it had been done or if there was curiosity. Might not hurt to see if I can get some interest in the forum like you said. And, I agree about the drafting, especially b/c I suck once play begins ha ha.
6/24/2019 9:44 AM
Humor me on this idea... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.