Mount Rushmore of Achievements Topic

After having played on WIS for literally thousands of hours off and on for 14 years, I've done most of the stuff there is to do. So, it got me to thinking: what are some accomplishments for each of the three dynasty games that, if accomplished, would put that guy in the pantheon of all-time greats?
6/25/2019 1:00 AM
A streak of some sort. a roster composition of some sort. Just anything all around unconventional and impressive.
6/25/2019 8:20 PM
I don't know if I'd put it on Mount Rushmore, but it was fun as hell to play against... in seasons 36-42 in Wooden HD, gomiami1972 and usf_bulls coached D3 Johnson State and only recruited players named Johnson, leading to an all-Johnson squad in seasons 39-42. The season 39 team made the PIT (in an era when there were enough humans in Wooden D3 where that meant something).

Maybe not "impressive," but certainly "unconventional," and likely not "most of the stuff there is to do."
6/25/2019 8:40 PM
Having a player in HBD break some of the MLB all time records would be impressive. The sim makes it pretty tricky to break he hitting streak record and the homerun record.
6/25/2019 10:38 PM
I gotta admit, that Johnson State thing kinda gives me an OCD boner.

6/26/2019 12:27 AM
That Johnson thing is impressive and pretty cool.

I started in August of 2017. My first four seasons in Gleeman World (now Earl Weaver) had the same champion. He was also the champion in the season previous to when I started. So, he (jasonbhag1) won five straight World Series titles. I am sure many long time owners have seen this feat or maybe something even more impressive. However, I still find this impressive and lucky!

Also, I am more impressed by HBD owners that have a 57+ percent overall winning percentage, but also have a respectable "Worst Record". Any owner can tank for four seasons and pick up 6-8 elite players and go win 95+ games for eight straight seasons. That seems to be the quickest way to success in this game. However, what is truly impressive to me is an owner that consistently puts a competitive team on the field season after season. So, show me a 100+ season owner that has a 57+ percent winning percentage (approximately the same winning percentage as the Real Life NY Yankees) who also has never lost more than 95 games and I think he would belong on Mount Rushmore.
6/26/2019 6:11 PM
My 100 loss season was taking over an abandoned team towards the end of the season for a league so that I could sign the draft picks and stuff. I almost regret it as it looks bad on my resume but they needed help so I did it. So id say each season could be different depends on how it is viewed.
6/26/2019 8:17 PM
Posted by brianp87 on 6/26/2019 8:17:00 PM (view original):
My 100 loss season was taking over an abandoned team towards the end of the season for a league so that I could sign the draft picks and stuff. I almost regret it as it looks bad on my resume but they needed help so I did it. So id say each season could be different depends on how it is viewed.
Same on my 100+ loss season, and my overall winning % is just a shade under 57, so while I appreciate the idea I'd bump the number a bit. I'm reasonably successful, but Mount Rushmore should be elite only IMO.

It's also challenging in that (at least in the past) there were some worlds where a pulse got you 90 wins and dime owners would regularly win many more, so ideally that'd be accounted for somehow.
6/27/2019 4:51 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 6/25/2019 10:38:00 PM (view original):
Having a player in HBD break some of the MLB all time records would be impressive. The sim makes it pretty tricky to break he hitting streak record and the homerun record.
Player Profile: Henderson Rucker - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports had a 57 game hitting streak in Season 1 of Around The Horn. That was fun to watch for sure.
6/27/2019 7:12 AM
Posted by bruinsfan911 on 6/27/2019 7:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 6/25/2019 10:38:00 PM (view original):
Player Profile: Henderson Rucker - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports had a 57 game hitting streak in Season 1 of Around The Horn. That was fun to watch for sure.
Wow. That is exciting. You wouldn't think a guy with below 50 contact and speed would be the guy that breaks 56.
6/27/2019 6:59 PM
I feel like I've done pretty well in hbd and I've done it without tanking, running super high payrolls, world jumping, widow hunting, transacting lots of lopsided trades. Despite my success, I still don't feel I've done enough to land on Mount Rushmore. Especially if we're considering the WIS Mount Rushmore.

On top of HBD, I have played Sim Baseball and Gridiron. I probably need to play more Sim Baseball before I share my opinin on it. As far as Gridiron, I played it enough to understand the game and the culture within the game to share my opinion on it. I think the game does a pretty decent job of emulating real life College Football and that's why I dont like it. In real life college ball you pretty much have to be one of big boys to have any amount of long term success. Its not like hbd where you can do some clever, outside the box, things to build a winner and have a bunch of different types of successful teams. The teams that win titles in Gridiron are always the same -- stacked with top line players at every position. Then, the head to head matches are a bunch of cat and mouse tactics. I can see why people enjoy the cat and mouse game management aspects of the game. That can be fun, but, it is at the expense of any creativity with roster building. So, you work your way up to D1, then you have to compete with teams that are not in your stratosphere (blue chip schools) with the hopes of finally landing at a blue chip school yourself. Then you simply recruit every blue chip top line player within a close proximity to your school and nab some others further away. It seems really easy and really cookie cutter. I just don't find it enjoyable enough to keep playing.

If WIS had a pigskin dynasty that emulated the NFL and was more like HBD, id play that type of game even more excessively than i play hbd. Then, after a handful of years of playing that game, maybe id reviisit this thread.

Finally, as fun as this thread was, I find it rich that the user that started the thread has been accused of cheating by buying players from other teams with real life money, using an alias in a World to trade with himself and paying other owners real life money to take over his teams in the middle of a season when his team didn't perform well enough. Maybe we can have a separate Mount Rushmore for users that that are known cheaters.
2/24/2024 11:39 AM
LoL yeah
3/2/2024 11:09 AM
Threepeats, surely fourpeats in HD or HBD.
3/2/2024 3:38 PM
Mount Rushmore of Achievements Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.