Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Posted by laramiebob on 7/10/2019 3:00:00 PM (view original):
Oh, and I disagree with Wylie (I rarely do that).
I DO believe that a monkey is unqualified for POTUS.
Sadly, most dogs, too.
Though my last buddy was smarter than many humans I've known and met.
well, I didn't say there were any dogs or monkeys that are qualified to be POTUS, just that I would vote for that dog or monkey if I felt said dog or monkey was the most qualified candidate. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems a dog or a monkey would not be too far off from being the most qualified candidate.
7/10/2019 3:53 PM
Well, BINGO, goMiami. I think. I surely don't disagree with your main premise.

One minor quibble. the religion X part.
I don't think a person's "religion" should have anything to do with their potential role as "governmental leader" of some sort. Their "personal" religious beliefs should have NO part in it, and hopefully, their beliefs have NO direct impact on their governmental decisions.
Their relative inner peace and spiritual "harmony", as much as we can discern as voters, are fair game for our determination and usage for our decisions.
Had I been more aware of Nixon's lack of "inner peace" and his disdain for the spirit of us People, his so-called employers, I would have worked much much harder to defeat him before he became "employed" so to speak!
7/10/2019 3:55 PM
Unfortunately wylie. The reality is there are some folks (idiots) who vote for candidates based on how they appear, or their names or some such nonsense.
Looking good on TV maybe. You just can't account for them folks. Sometimes, I wonder how some folks manage to feed themselves.
Then I go to a modern grocery store and see that you really don't need to, you can buy (or steal) any meal you want. No need to know anything, like even how to manage fire/cook.

I get disgusted and go back up on the Paria Plateau when that happens too often.
Up there, I can go days without seeing anyone human!
7/10/2019 4:01 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 7/10/2019 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Well, BINGO, goMiami. I think. I surely don't disagree with your main premise.

One minor quibble. the religion X part.
I don't think a person's "religion" should have anything to do with their potential role as "governmental leader" of some sort. Their "personal" religious beliefs should have NO part in it, and hopefully, their beliefs have NO direct impact on their governmental decisions.
Their relative inner peace and spiritual "harmony", as much as we can discern as voters, are fair game for our determination and usage for our decisions.
Had I been more aware of Nixon's lack of "inner peace" and his disdain for the spirit of us People, his so-called employers, I would have worked much much harder to defeat him before he became "employed" so to speak!
I don't think there is a point of contention between us here.

Religion is another superficiality that has been weaponized to divide. Omar is a muslim house rep, Kennedy was the first catholic president and Nixon was a quaker. Muslim, catholic, quaker...it's an excuse. Sectarians make religion the primary focus because of their own blind sectarian hatred.
7/10/2019 4:08 PM
The "My God is right, yours is a false God sent to destroy you and everyone who falls into the same "trap"" syndrome.

or

as Dylan put it, "With God On Our Side"
7/10/2019 4:48 PM
OMG!
7/10/2019 8:04 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 7/10/2019 3:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 7/10/2019 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Wow, have we found something we all agree on?
People who voted for Obama just because of his skin color are as racist as those who say they'd never vote that way, and people who voted for HRC just because she is a woman (kind of? - ha, ha) are as sexist as those who will never vote for a woman.
I agree. Anyone who voted for Obama solely based on his skin color is a racist, or voted for HRC solely because she is a woman is sexist. Just as racist as someone who didn't vote for Obama solely because he is back and just as sexist as someone who did not vote for HRC solely because she is a woman.
Skin color is no measure of a man or a woman. Most even partially enlightened folks get that. And by "enlightened" I mean only having one's eyes (and heart) open as we go thru our daily activities here in OUR modern culture. Yet, HERE in America we just can't seen to get past our racist heritage, our past history of OUR Nation's treatment of colored's. (ALL colors, pretty much, save white.)

One half the Country tries to deny it still exists and pretend it's all "in the past". Many within this group even go so far as to say that there is "no systemic racism" in our Country anymore.......... despite the numerous academia that says otherwise.

The other half the Country tries to blame racism for nearly all our problems and refuses to hold all citizens to the same levels of personal responsibility.
Some have (recently) gone so far as to claim that systematic racism is "in the air we breathe". I know, pretty dramatic ain't it?
Of course, drama is what candidates do. Grand statements get headlines. Sometimes, folks don't really think about the real meaning of their words.
Sorry, Mayor Pete, but I don't think racism is in "the air". I think it's buried deep in many of our hearts.

Guess this doesn't have much to do with the dem. candidates debate, but, I just reckoned it worth stating.
7/15/2019 11:57 AM
"In the air" or "in our hearts" is all the same thing. I just think denying that "systematic racism" exists is bananaz. I grew up just south of Detroit, and yes, that is completely possible regardless of what Jim Rome or some nitwit picking apart Journey songs will tell you. The town was heavily second and third generation immigrants. Polish, Italian, German, Ukranian, Unameit, Wehadit. Racism was inherent there because just to the north was where the "darkies" lived and came from. I saw the first two black students come into my high school in 1984. Racism was, and is, just....there. Dearborn and the largest Muslim population outside of the middle east are a few miles to the west. Detroit nearly died because of "white flight" syndrome. This area may be more polarized than ANY other in the country. You want a melting pot, hang out around Detroit for a while. As a white dude I've seen that "systematic" **** ALL MY LIFE. It's never been against me but I have enough of a brain to look around and see where, who and exactly WHAT I come from.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

“We've got to face the fact that some people say you fight fire best with fire, but we say you put fire out best with water. We say you don't fight racism with racism. We're gonna fight racism with solidarity.”
--Fred Hampton

“Our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions any more than our opinions in physics or geometry...”
--Thomas Jefferson

7/15/2019 12:22 PM
While I'm on this topic...................

I've been wrestling with this whole concept of (somehow) acknowledging our slave holding past with some sort of reparations...........
Generally, I think the concept is unworkable, if not silly, (with SOME exceptions). However, certainly some sort of grand National statement of apology and (where possible and appropriate) rectification within our Laws would seem like a positive idea.
Anyway......... I can't state the reality with enough heart and clarity to make folks really think about racism.

I'm not a poet or a wise visionary. What I am is a person who listens to poets daily. Music is my "jones" my monkey.
Last night, I really payed attention to the lyrics of a song I've heard several times before (and always was "killed" by the song) BUT this time, I really GOT the lyric. And I found it stunningly profound. On THIS very topic. So, with apologies to (perhaps) our finest current songwriter for the theft, and with CLEAR acknowledgment that these words are HIS!

Here's what one southern born and bred Alabama boy has to say about "racism" in America.
I raise my glass in a toast to Jason Isbell for using his art to speak truth to us bluntly, honestly, and with heart and love.

Jason Isbell

"White Man's World"

"I'm a white man living in a white man's world.
Under our roof is a baby girl
and I thought this world could be hers one day
but her mama knew better.

I'm a white man living in a white man's town.
Wanna take a shot of cocaine and burn it down.
Mama wants to change that Nashville sound
but they're not gonna let her.

There's no such thing as somebody else's war
Your creature comforts aren't the only thing worth fighting for.
You're still breathing. It's not too late.
We're all carrying one great burden, sharing one fate.

I'm a white man living on a white man's street.
Got the bones of the red man under my feet.
The highway runs through the burial grounds
past the oceans of cotton.

I'm a white man looking in a black man's eyes,
wishing I'd never been one of the guys
who pretended not to hear another white man's joke.
Old times ain't forgotten.

I'm a white man living in a white man's Nation.
Think the man upstairs must've took a vacation.
I still have faith, but I don't know why,
Maybe it's the fire in my little girl's eyes,
Maybe it's the fire in my little girl's eyes."

Now forget about politics, injustice, racism, hatred, etc. for just one short period of time.
Do yourself a huge favor.
Beg, borrow, or...........well, borrow

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
"the Nashville Sound"
in whatever form you listen to music and give yourself 45 minutes to enjoy!
You can thank me later. :-)
7/15/2019 12:32 PM
Posted by DougOut on 7/10/2019 8:04:00 PM (view original):
OMG!
7/15/2019 12:58 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 7/15/2019 12:32:00 PM (view original):
While I'm on this topic...................

I've been wrestling with this whole concept of (somehow) acknowledging our slave holding past with some sort of reparations...........
Generally, I think the concept is unworkable, if not silly, (with SOME exceptions). However, certainly some sort of grand National statement of apology and (where possible and appropriate) rectification within our Laws would seem like a positive idea.
Anyway......... I can't state the reality with enough heart and clarity to make folks really think about racism.

I'm not a poet or a wise visionary. What I am is a person who listens to poets daily. Music is my "jones" my monkey.
Last night, I really payed attention to the lyrics of a song I've heard several times before (and always was "killed" by the song) BUT this time, I really GOT the lyric. And I found it stunningly profound. On THIS very topic. So, with apologies to (perhaps) our finest current songwriter for the theft, and with CLEAR acknowledgment that these words are HIS!

Here's what one southern born and bred Alabama boy has to say about "racism" in America.
I raise my glass in a toast to Jason Isbell for using his art to speak truth to us bluntly, honestly, and with heart and love.

Jason Isbell

"White Man's World"

"I'm a white man living in a white man's world.
Under our roof is a baby girl
and I thought this world could be hers one day
but her mama knew better.

I'm a white man living in a white man's town.
Wanna take a shot of cocaine and burn it down.
Mama wants to change that Nashville sound
but they're not gonna let her.

I'm a white man living on a white man's street.
Got the bones of the red man under my feet.
The highway runs through the burial grounds
past the oceans of cotton.

I'm a white man looking in a black man's eyes,
wishing I'd never been one of the guys
who pretended not to hear another white man's joke.
Old times ain't forgotten.

I'm a white man living in a white man's Nation.
Think the man upstairs must've took a vacation.
I still have faith, but I don't know why,
Maybe it's the fire in my little girl's eyes,
Maybe it's the fire in my little girl's eyes."

Now forget about politics, injustice, racism, hatred, etc. for just one short period of time.
Do yourself a huge favor.
Beg, borrow, or...........well, borrow

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
"the Nashville Sound"
in whatever form you listen to music and give yourself 45 minutes to enjoy!
You can thank me later. :-)
great song!!!
7/15/2019 1:56 PM
Like a library around here.

The R stands for racist (supporters and defenders) clan are lying low after their colored hating "leader" twits away with his racist lies ("billions and billions" to Baltimore, REALLY??) and nonsense, attempting to do Putin's work and burn down the house (and the Republic right along with it!) not having any good answers to 'splain away his clear intent.

Meanwhile, tonight, Round Two.
SOMEONE needs to make a move.
Tune in and watch if you dare.
Of course, you're gonna have to put up with the author/spiritual guru lady (Williamson?).............

None the less, who's gonna emerge as the progressive wing leader, Sanders or (good friend) Warren.
What's up with Pete and Castro? Can they get any traction?
And then there's the midwest's darlin' Amy Klobachar........... I always forget she's running............ same with the weird blonde Senator from New York.
All I can say is why?

One of the "clowns" (I say that with utmost respect) needs to emerge to take on the head clown of delusion.
"Blacks love what I'm doing" They're calling me and telling me to keep it up.
I heard from BOTH of Boris's friends!

(Sorry Boris I couldn't resist) Too funny!.
7/30/2019 2:45 PM
YOU FORGOT KAMALA HARRIS BOB. AT THE MOMENT SHE IS MY PICK. JOE HAS BEEN AROUND LONG ENOUGH. IF HE HAD RUN INSTEAD OF HILLERY WE MIGHT HAVE AVOIDED HAVING A RUSSIAN AGENT IN THE WHITE HOUSE
7/30/2019 3:53 PM
Well I wasn't trying to mention everybody! Hell, I'm old I can't be expected to remember them ALL :-)
But, no I didn't forget her. She's certainly due consideration and is a potentially powerful VP pick IMO.

.The most qualified female candidate is Tulsi, by far IMO.
Biden is yesterday's wine............... and far far too much of it.

Here's hoping a younger candidate emerges with a compelling argument and a good head of steam.

Tulsi - 2020.
7/30/2019 4:20 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...37 Next ▸
Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.