Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Posted by tangplay on 9/19/2019 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/19/2019 3:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 9/19/2019 3:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/19/2019 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 9/19/2019 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/19/2019 5:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 9/13/2019 7:01:00 PM (view original):
I watched it all, although I glazed over a bit during hour 3.

Winners:
Buttigieg - Well spoken as per usual. Smart. Great story about serving under don't ask, don't tell. Was the most convincing out of the candidates on healthcare.
Castro - He was correct in attacking Biden and called him out repeatedly.
Klobuchar - If/When Biden implodes, she's setting herself up to be a nice alternative.
Sanders - Weak for most of the night, but a great answer to the healthcare question.
Yang - He came out as a Patriots hater. Earned my support.

Meh:
Warren
Booker
Beto (he stands out on guns, but he's blah everywhere else)

Losers:
Harris - Couldn't stop laughing at her jokes, horrible answer to the question on her criminal record, and focused too much on Trump and weak quips.
Biden - Still gaffe-proned.
DNC - #wheresTulsi
lol, your own comment from the 13th. Do you think he told a story about don't ask, don't tell by accident?

Besides, Buttigieg does not necessarily need to mention his sexual orientation every moment of the day. There are legions of news outlets doing that already.

There's nothing wrong with this tactic. The RNC uses the same tactic when they throw out some bible-thumping clown like a Huckabee or Robertson. I'm just a little amused that some are taking Buttigieg seriously (as in a serious candidate.) He's serving his party and doing it nobly.
That's the singular time he's brought it up during the debates. It's not Buttigieg's fault that media outlets frame him this way.
He's using identity politics and the media is all over it. He's not some passive onlooker. He's actively cultivating all of the attention about his homosexuality. As far as not his fault...there's nothing wrong with it, so there is no fault to be assigned.

I completely disagree. Buttigieg hasn't made being gay a major part of his platform in the same way that Yang has about his Asian-American status, Harris has as an African American, or Joe Biden has as a former VP.
Not in the debates. One of my friends (openly gay and an activist) gives me all of the inside scoop (some of it quite interesting because it's lagely unreported) and, from what he relays, there is a lot of literature out there trumpeting the "first gay man to run for president" that Buttigieg actively promotes. I do get the impression that the gay community wishes he would make it the primary focus of the campaign and Buttigieg is unwilling to to do so. That's all second hand since I don't subscribe to Pride Magazine and the like.
Like I said, the vast majority of "Buttigieg is gay" stuff doesn't come from Buttigieg. Of course he won't downplay it, but he also isn't making it a focus. If your theory was correct, I doubt Buttigieg would act in the same way.
Well, if you want to make a distinction between he's creating it versus someone else is creating it and he's actively benefiting from the mystique, then fine. I have no problem with that.
9/19/2019 3:49 PM
As much as I disagree with anyone's choice to be gay, IF this is true, I applaud Buttigieg for not "playing it up". He wants to be known as a politician who happened to chose to be gay and not be known as the gay politician. It's the same as women or anything else, if you run as the first _____ candidate, it probably means you don't have anything good to run on.
9/19/2019 4:49 PM
all3, while I disagree with you that it is anyone's choice to be gay, I think I agree with you on the rest of it. Did I choose to be attracted to brunettes more than blondes? Or women with long legs? No, I didn't. That is just my preference. Can you give me one piece of evidence as to why you think being gay is a choice?
9/19/2019 5:48 PM
C'mon Man! Which is it. Long legs or great breasts? Blonde or brunette? Shaved or hairy? Why must we choose? I'm with Joe Walsh. I like em all!
9/19/2019 6:04 PM
IMO, being gay is as much of a choice as being straight is
9/19/2019 7:47 PM
And I don't remember ever choosing to be straight
9/19/2019 7:47 PM
It's all in the way you view things I reckon. I can't even remember my 1st boner. I've just always assumed it was due to a female. Heck, maybe I'm gay, too! Reckon I never thought much about it. That Brad Pitt feller is kinda decent on the eyes now that you mention it.......... oh wait you didn't.
9/19/2019 7:52 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 9/19/2019 5:48:00 PM (view original):
all3, while I disagree with you that it is anyone's choice to be gay, I think I agree with you on the rest of it. Did I choose to be attracted to brunettes more than blondes? Or women with long legs? No, I didn't. That is just my preference. Can you give me one piece of evidence as to why you think being gay is a choice?
Since I'm sure you don't view the Bible as a Historical document, all I can say is that I can give you the same "evidence" against it that you can give me for it. There is zero either way. I'll stick with what I believe the Lord intended, over your, or anyone else's beliefs.

Maybe we should allow those people who say they are attracted to children or animals or dead bodies or whatever else, to do what they feel too?
9/20/2019 10:27 AM
Posted by all3 on 9/20/2019 10:27:00 AM (view original):
Since I'm sure you don't view the Bible as a Historical document, all I can say is that I can give you the same "evidence" against it that you can give me for it. There is zero either way. I'll stick with what I believe the Lord intended, over your, or anyone else's beliefs.

Maybe we should allow those people who say they are attracted to children or animals or dead bodies or whatever else, to do what they feel too?
It is absolutely true that there is zero evidence either way.

IMHO, accepting homosexuality is not moving society in a direction to ultimately accept beastiality, necrophilia, etc. unless you believe that homosexuality is degenerate. If that is your viewpoint, then I can understand why you may believe additional degenerate practices will follow.
9/20/2019 11:20 AM

Fox & Friends attacks students participating in global climate strike, then reports on catastrophic rain and flooding in Texas

9/20/2019 11:23 AM

The fact that you think being gay is equivalent to being a pedophile is appalling.
9/20/2019 11:39 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/20/2019 11:20:00 AM (view original):

It is absolutely true that there is zero evidence either way.

IMHO, accepting homosexuality is not moving society in a direction to ultimately accept beastiality, necrophilia, etc. unless you believe that homosexuality is degenerate. If that is your viewpoint, then I can understand why you may believe additional degenerate practices will follow.
all3 is right, there is no hard evidence either way, but can you give me even 1 or 2 reasons why someone would choose to be gay? Why choose to do something that many people view as degenerate? Why choose to do something that will undoubtedly make your life a little more difficult?

all3 says " Maybe we should allow those people who say they are attracted to children or animals or dead bodies or whatever else, to do what they feel too? " well, no. Those things are all illegal. Being gay is not.

I can see all3's viewpoint. In his view being gay is against what the bible says and what God says, so it is a sin, just like beastiality and necrophilia. I understand why he feels that way. I just can't understand why any would say homosexuality is a choice.
9/20/2019 11:42 AM
Make Divorce a Sin Again!!!!!!!!!
9/20/2019 11:50 AM
Tangplay is right I think. It is appalling that anyone would believe that homosexuality is akin to beastiality. Human sexuality is quite complex I reckon. Using belief in God (and the Bible) as a base for making conclusions on a piece by piece basis causes conflict. IF you view things thru this Biblical prism, then all human beings are sacred vessels created by God (and infused with his Spirit) but with free wills. Only SOME folks favor their own gender sexually. It's not a universal characteristic. Thus, IF a human male favors another male sexually (or vice versa with the female) then SOMEONE erred. In the Biblical view that someone would have to be ???? just who? God?? No logical male would make such a choice. Until recently they could get stoned (I mean with ROCKS not a smoke of some type) or something. In fact, IF it was as viewed by all3's view of God's law, the way I understand evolution to work, nature itself would have eliminated homosexuality thru eons of human breeding. Taint so, it seems. Still with us.

On this one, once again, we failed to learn from our Red brethren (and sisters). We COULD have observed that they had no issue with the human manifestation of homosexuality, and other differing sexualities. In fact many tribes recognized different genders. 7, I think. Find a scholar for the exact specifics, my point is that these types of human desires/needs don't appear to be choices when looked at historically/anthropologically.

Damn, I'm really straining my hillbilly brain this AM. Anyway, I BELIEVE that all3 is engaging in selective biblical interpretation and JUDGING homosexual folks as degenerate sinners. That is kinda appalling. I was taught that God is Love! 1st thing I ever learned in Sunday School.

But, I lack understanding myself on the issue. I find Charlize Theron extremely exciting. Brad Pitt does nothing for me. Just can't relate.
9/20/2019 12:31 PM (edited)
You can think and believe whatever you want. When you try to legislate how someone else has to live (beyond the realms of normal society) then you’re probably gonna get hit in the face with a bat.

I’m real sick of the ignorant and ill-informed trying to tell everyone that we are a “christian” nation. We aren’t. Take a history class. Keep it in church. Get off my lawn.

9/20/2019 1:33 PM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...37 Next ▸
Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.