Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Do what this guy says...we can afford this...

https://youtu.be/a9WowBxdhTQ
2/20/2020 7:12 PM
What I do like is that Bernie has moved the overton window on health care.
2/20/2020 7:43 PM
A lot of current issues were taboo 25 years ago.
2/20/2020 8:19 PM
Posted by justinlee_24 on 2/20/2020 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Just my two cents on the issue...

Healthcare for everyone is expensive. If you want to cover everyone, than you have to be willing to pay for everyone to be covered.

Sanders (and probably Warren as well) believe that healthcare is a human right, so they are willing to pay the huge price tag in order to get everyone insured. Realistically, Medicare 4 All is the only way to actually achieve that.

The Moderates (Biden, Klobuchar and Buttigieg) would like everyone to believe that they can get everyone insured at bargain rates. This is nonsense, and it ignores basic economics and the reality of how insurance markets work. (The young and healthy are cheap to insure, but the marginal cost to insure those who are underinsured or uninsured will be quite pricey)

Insurance Markets will never be capable of insuring every person, unless the cost of insuring each individual is less than each individual's ability to pay for said insurance. This is not even close to being the case, as the cost of healthcare for those who have pre-existing conditions or who are old is very, very high, and certainly would be a money losing proposition to insure unless the premiums/deductibles/copays charged are extremely high, in which case these people would then be unable to afford said insurance.

Mr. Buttigieg (and probably other moderates) seem to think that introducing a public option will somehow do the trick, by instituting "competition", the idea being to somehow lower prices and make insurance more affordable for everyone. The reality is a little different than they might like:

The price of insurance under the Public option will go down... for healthy people who generally can already afford the coverage! That's because insuring healthy people is quite profitable, and these are the customers that insurance companies want to insure.

The people who have pre-existing conditions on the other hand, are not going to see any price reductions under private insurance plans. The insurance companies don't want to insure these people unless they can charge them a high enough price (which these people likely can't afford unless they are rich). As a result, every single one of these people will need to be on the Public option.

So considering everything, the moderates plan will result in lower prices for healthy people who could already afford their medical coverage, and a public option with tons of unhealthy patients that will cost taxpayers a mint. If everyone is to be insured, the overall price tag will likely approach that cited for... Medicare 4 All.

In the end, the question is: how many uninsured (or underinsured) is too many? If the answer is zero, are you willing to pay the price tag for Medicare 4 All? And if not, are you willing to accept that some will be uninsured (or at least underinsured?)
its a good two cents
2/21/2020 8:48 AM
am i willing to pay for the drug addicted petty thieving tent living cardboard carrying homeless on my street

their health

i am

my share

jesus said

vote democrat
2/21/2020 8:51 AM
Posted by bagchucker on 2/21/2020 8:51:00 AM (view original):
am i willing to pay for the drug addicted petty thieving tent living cardboard carrying homeless on my street

their health

i am

my share

jesus said

vote democrat
Thank you. Your share is $50,000.oo.
2/21/2020 9:21 AM
I have not seen anyone here mention the cost of new procedures being a factor in HC costs, but it is. Think about all the new machines Doctors now have available, that they didn't have a decade or so ago. None of that "advanced" equipment is cheap.
2/21/2020 9:26 AM
Posted by DoctorKz on 2/20/2020 5:27:00 PM (view original):
We have yet to see Congress tax the wealthy to the amount they are supposed to. A lot of dominoes have to fall.

My faith in Congress ain't deep...they have shown their ability to spend us into oblivion. You wanna give them more money? This house of cards might not be sturdy enough, you wanna dump snow on the roof...
Glad to see you're not a tax and spend guy.
2/21/2020 1:54 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 2/20/2020 6:09:00 PM (view original):
I still contend that it would be much more cost effective to cover those without by expanding Medicare/Medicaid while allowing private insurance to survive. We could supplement pre existing conditions, just as you could supplement high risk pools. That can't cost nearly as much. I'm no expert, but why not? Complicated but someone must be capable of figuring this out.
That sounds like something Dino27 would say.
2/21/2020 1:56 PM
I've lost count of the Round, sorry.

Whatever the Round last night's debate was just awful.
Easy to identify the losers. The BIG loser was any U.S. voter that watched that mess.
Other losers............................(Klobuchar, Steyer, Biden, Bloomberg, Sanders)
Biggest losers: Mayor Pete, CBS News, the American voters.

Winners............. Tulsi Gabbard(----by NOT being present at the debate!), and all American adversaries and enemies.

This may just be the saddest group of candidates for any POTUS nomination since...............wait for it...................2016!!
2/26/2020 8:12 AM
Those are the people Dems think are more appealing than Trump? Sorry, but it simply isn't so. Trump has proven he can get things done even when 100% of the Dems are working against him. Imagine what he could do working with people who don't have their head up the "opposing" Party's azz. Trump's NOT a perfect Politician, and that's part of the appeal. Should he stop tweeting and saying stupid sheit? Sure. Does he lie / exaggerate? Sure. They ALL do. Heck, look at Biden's last couple days. (Claiming to work with someone who was dead for almost 2 decades at the time and then claiming to work with Mandela when all his aides say it never happened.) How does "Back to the Future" Bernie become your leading candidate? Sad times for the Dems.

2/26/2020 9:57 AM
Hard to argue with that IMO. Biden is a freakin' train wreck waiting to occur on national TV...........it will be very embarrassing to everybody AND to watch!!
Somebody needs to point out the elephant in his room. I'll say it clearly..........and I'm old enough to be able to see it and admit what I see--------- senility!!
AGE. It's not a number but it IS a condition and his condition is seriously AGED!! More so than others of his number. Especially mentally!

Bloomberg IS a clone, mini Don. A wolf in sheep's coat or however that goes..............He's really a fatcat Republican who likes loose women..........where have I heard THAT before?? Is that a qualification for male politicans??..........or just every male?
I admit to being a dog, but I ain't gonna run for anything..........not even dogcatcher.........too much butt sniffin involved.....especially for a run for POTUS.
Mayor Pete's a lapdog.......... yay yap yap.............I like dogs but he's getting dangerously close to being put outside.........or muzzled!
Amy K........... SNORE. WHY IS SHE RUNNING????
STILL!

I LOVE OLD DOGS, but man the time has come to put it out of it's misery.
The campaign died months ago.

Who'd I miss? Oh yeah, Steyer.
Too bad, really. IF ONLY he'd had Yang's personality...........or some at ALL!
That would help.

That leaves Bernie and Elizabeth............. wow....... in lower case!
I kinda like Bernie...........if he'd shout less and joke more......... and explain the MATH!
Warren..........heck I LOVE her zeal. And her idealism..........but man.
Someone buy her a CHEESEBURGER and a good NW Pale Ale.
I do think she'd be the best debater vs. Trump.
In fact, IF I was Trump I wouldn't go near her............anywhere near her...........particularly a televised debate staged for viewership.
BUT, I'd bet a ton of money his ego will be too big to turn the idea down.
I'd watch THAT!

Guess I should support Pocahantas.
At least she identified with the right folks of Oklahoma.............if NOT the political "right".
I've BEEN to Oklahoma.........THEIR political rulers obviously ain't too concerned with the folks there.....near as bad as Sonora......it's a daggone 3rd world locale right in the middle of the Good 'ol' USA...........from my view I reckoned the locals preferred to burn stuff as opposed to pickin' it up and hauling it off.
they sure seemed to like their drive up winders though..........anywhere's I seen one of them driveup winders......didn't seem to matter what type.......fast food joints ALL had long lines at them pretty near 24 Hrs a day, but I seen long lines sneaking out of drive by winders at drug stores, convenience markets, even gun shops..........I weren't there on a Sunday but I suspect they's got drive by winders fer churches, too!

Them folks was nuts, too, particularly in their cars and trucks, lotsa jacked up trucks with big wheels and what-not---------all in a big hurry to get to the next traffic jam caused by construction on their dad blamed toll roads!! You gotta pay to get OFF the daggone roads.
Like I said, them folks is nuts.......Texans without the self awareness----------kinda like Mormons......too busy to reckon with what they's doing.
Anyplace where there's too many churches and not enough bars and roadhouses has a gigantic issue with self awareness, I reckon.
Alls I know I was NEVER so glad to see Missouri that one time.........and it was only the Joplin corner!!!

There was that other time I got back from Sonora and immediately kneeled down and kissed the concrete at the sasabe crossing though......that border patrol guy must have wondered what I'd seen...........or done.

2/26/2020 12:18 PM
Someone should take Biden's keys from him. Put him in his chair over by the window.

Bloomberg looks like he doesn't want to be up on the stage. Not exactly a charmer.

This is like watching a bad B movie...
2/26/2020 2:07 PM
Bernie 2020
2/26/2020 2:13 PM
Pray that this isn't an accurate assessment:

https://www.city-journal.org/bernie-sanders-expensive-spending-proposals
2/26/2020 2:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...30|31|32|33|34...37 Next ▸
Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.