Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Posted by laramiebob on 7/2/2019 1:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 7/2/2019 10:53:00 AM (view original):
The Bible is a History book. Choosing to ignore or contest what is in it is no different than choosing to ignore or contest other Historical things, like the Holocaust, the Moon Landing or 9/11.
I'm not meaning to act like I KNOW the answer to this but,...................

Isn't it more like PARTS of the Bible are HisStory (or at least remembrances of history) and parts of the Bible are parables, prophecies, myths, tales of olden times, warnings and exhortations, all collected in ONE form, edited a bit, and declared the Word of God. The "Bible"?

I am looking for your answer all3. I'm curious. Be sure to specify which "version" you are referring to in your reply.
You are correct, bob. Only parts of the Bible are a History book - a collaborated History book.
However, I believe you are wrong about it being declared the Word of God. I think that's much more so a term that opponents like to attach to it in a mocking form. As it is written, the Bible is pretty clear as to which parts (and there aren't many) are truly the Word of God. Maybe I'm taking that phrase a bit more literal than you are meaning it though.
Any "modern" (19th or 20th century) version of the Bible written to justify acts and lifestyles that were clearly frowned-upon in the original version of the Bible have ZERO credibility to me, and in many ways are worse for Believers than those who are totally opposed. Twisting the word of God and his workers to fit one's own desires is (IMO) worse than doubting or not believing that word.
This is another of those "discussions" where neither side will ever be "proven" right or wrong, but I'm more than happy to keep "erring" on the safe side.
7/2/2019 3:25 PM
and i believe you are erring on the side that could put you in the bad place.
id like to think that it is far better to have the courage to believe that god is better then what is depicted in the bible
so im not worried one iota.
7/2/2019 4:12 PM (edited)
so which parts are not the word of god.
7/2/2019 3:43 PM
That's a fair reply all3. TY!

However, raised in the church as I was. Pentecostal, mind you.
I'm fairly certain those folks (and MANY other Protestant denominations) consider the Bible to be the absolute, unquestioned Word of God.
They ain't mocking.
In fact I remember the "faith" expressing extreme disapproval with those that would "lift" parts of The Bible, while ignoring other parts.
The Men's Business organization was called the "Full Gospel" group.
Pretty sure The Bible was the literal WORD of God.

Someone asked Brother Ike, "well, what denomination are you Brother Ike?"

Brother Ike replied: "Tens and Twenty's"---------- of course that joke is from the 80's so allowing for inflation......................
7/2/2019 4:57 PM
Posted by dino27 on 7/2/2019 3:43:00 PM (view original):
so which parts are not the word of god.
A lot of it. There is much dialogue, by prophets or apostles (as examples) which are clearly not the Word of God but a part of the storytelling/historical context.
7/2/2019 8:50 PM
well...i dont think any part is from god but i wanted to know from all3 which parts are myths and which are facts.

i also think, as a jew, that it is about time that we write a new torah that doesnt have any persecution of " imperfect " people in it
and depicts an actual wise and loving god.
7/2/2019 9:40 PM
Posted by dino27 on 7/2/2019 9:40:00 PM (view original):
well...i dont think any part is from god but i wanted to know from all3 which parts are myths and which are facts.

i also think, as a jew, that it is about time that we write a new torah that doesnt have any persecution of " imperfect " people in it
Interesting. Having grown up in an area of the country with a significant Jewish population (South Florida is no New York but my high school was about 30% Jewish,) I'm guessing that's a hot point of contention within the Jewish community. I knew a lot of orthodox-leaning jews (including the best man at my wedding) who would have vehemently disagreed with you. I never had much contact with true orthodox or ultra-orthodox. They were a pretty insular group.
7/2/2019 10:19 PM
dino, I don't read your posts, and I can't have a constructive exchange with you, so I will not try.
For instance, Where did I even come close to saying anything about parts being myths? miami's top post is exactly what I meant by saying parts are not the Word of God, and you totally, totally distorted that. I can't, and won't, try to exchange with that type of twisted "logic".
7/2/2019 11:09 PM
Posted by dino27 on 7/2/2019 4:12:00 PM (view original):
and i believe you are erring on the side that could put you in the bad place.
id like to think that it is far better to have the courage to believe that god is better then what is depicted in the bible
so im not worried one iota.
You dude...

YOU!!!
7/2/2019 11:25 PM
Posted by all3 on 7/2/2019 11:09:00 PM (view original):
dino, I don't read your posts, and I can't have a constructive exchange with you, so I will not try.
For instance, Where did I even come close to saying anything about parts being myths? miami's top post is exactly what I meant by saying parts are not the Word of God, and you totally, totally distorted that. I can't, and won't, try to exchange with that type of twisted "logic".
i did not understand what you meant.
thats all there was to it.
7/2/2019 11:46 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 7/2/2019 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dino27 on 7/2/2019 9:40:00 PM (view original):

Interesting. Having grown up in an area of the country with a significant Jewish population (South Florida is no New York but my high school was about 30% Jewish,) I'm guessing that's a hot point of contention within the Jewish community. I knew a lot of orthodox-leaning jews (including the best man at my wedding) who would have vehemently disagreed with you. I never had much contact with true orthodox or ultra-orthodox. They were a pretty insular group.
any type of orthodox jew is a true believer.
most jews in the united states are not orthodox.
the percentage of jews who are not orthodox and think the way that i do is extremely high.
we grow up in households inviting and encouraging a questioning mind about religion and ultimately most of us end up as cultural jews.
some like cccp are outright atheists...most are either agnostics or believers in an individually experienced God that is not understandable on a human level.
the various sects of judiasm do not have any major conflicts.
in my opinion the future of judiasm is Reconstructionst judiasm and some type of reconstuctionsm is the future of all bible religions.
7/2/2019 11:55 PM
my take is if you live on that sliver in the crumbs by the sea

you are done

all jews welcome in the USA

even you curly burned effers with the funny hats

even the cccps

7/3/2019 12:17 AM
And on the 8th Day, God created the Cockroach
7/3/2019 3:18 AM
my final succinct comments on religion....and america
what i fight against.

1. people trying to impose their religion into decision making of american laws..i.e. abortion...gay rights.
religious beliefs should be off limits.
2. people trying to impose their belief in God into making american laws.........again...religious beliefs should be off limits.
this is very difficult for many to accept.
3. people trying to resist the refraining from the above because they say that the country is based upon judeo christian beliefs.....we do not have a national religion...thank
God.
4. people trying to scare other people with threats of hell to convert them.
5. people using religious inspired beliefs to justify discrimination.....calling it their freedom of expression.
7/3/2019 12:45 PM (edited)
The nike sneaker flag issue.
personally i am confused....which groups are against it......i dont know.
i dont see anything wrong here....if you like it buy it...if not dont.
i dont see anything wrong with a flag on sneakers in any way shape or form.
i honestly dont know what the issue is.
7/3/2019 10:59 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...37 Next ▸
Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.