Dueling Dems Round V Topic

TY for your insight. That ought to stir things up a bit around here. lol

Were we founded by Christians, a Christian Nation as some say, or not?

Specifically, was George W. a self avowed Christian? (I mean Washington not Bush!)
How about Madison?
Thomas Jefferson?............ for that matter Sally Hemmings?
Hancock, John and Sam Adams (apparently he brewed good beer), Revere, all those guys.

What about William Penn?
Do Quakers consider themselves Christians?

I'd suspect "Christian" was a dirty word to many of the earliest inhabitants, but I wasn't there. I'm just using my own intellect, reasoning, and knowledge of the interactions between the inhabitants and the new strange people with weird hats.

What say you, defenders of the concept of a "Christian Nation"??
Where do you get the concept, on just what IS it based?
9/20/2019 2:58 PM
I don't mind religious concepts influencing individual behavior. I just don't want any of it codified. At the same time, I also don't want intolerance of religious beliefs and the banning of religious expression just because some perceive every overt religious action as offensive.

It's not really that fine of a line conceptually until egos are involved. Then, both sides go on Crusade.
9/20/2019 3:14 PM
This stopped being a Christian Nation a long, long time ago. That's fine, as I agree that no Religion should govern the Country, unless that is what the Country wants. I don't believe homosexuality should be illegal, rather that it's a personal choice everyone will ultimately need to answer for, just like any other sin we chose to commit. Those claiming it must be Ok since it's legal only need to look back a few decades to find a time when it was almost universally illegal, so try something else. I also don't believe is on the level of bestiality, pedophilia, or necrophilia. I'm simply trashing the "reasoning" that homosexuality is ok because that's what some people say they feel like doing. If people doing what they feel is the baseline for legality (and morality), where does it stop?
9/20/2019 3:27 PM
When doing what YOU feel injures another. Is it that difficult to actually practice the "Golden Rule"?
9/20/2019 3:36 PM
Posted by all3 on 9/20/2019 3:27:00 PM (view original):
This stopped being a Christian Nation a long, long time ago. That's fine, as I agree that no Religion should govern the Country, unless that is what the Country wants. I don't believe homosexuality should be illegal, rather that it's a personal choice everyone will ultimately need to answer for, just like any other sin we chose to commit. Those claiming it must be Ok since it's legal only need to look back a few decades to find a time when it was almost universally illegal, so try something else. I also don't believe is on the level of bestiality, pedophilia, or necrophilia. I'm simply trashing the "reasoning" that homosexuality is ok because that's what some people say they feel like doing. If people doing what they feel is the baseline for legality (and morality), where does it stop?
They don't say it is what they "feel like doing". That is what you say. They say it is who they are. I don't think anyone said that people doing what they feel like doing should be the baseline for legality. I still haven't heard any explanation for why someone would choose homosexuality, if they had a choice.
9/20/2019 5:27 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 9/20/2019 3:36:00 PM (view original):
When doing what YOU feel injures another. Is it that difficult to actually practice the "Golden Rule"?
While I agree (it's a basic classic liberal tenet,) there are too many ramrods out there who will claim "injury" at the drop of a hat and too many dipsticks who will go along with and support the ramrod's assertion. When the Betsy Ross flag injures and offends, the Golden Rule is no more. Perhaps these mental giants don't like the Golden Rule concept because it has its basis in religious theory, which probably offends them as well.
9/20/2019 6:22 PM
Excuse my ignorance and please correct it. Why would someone claim "injury" or even be "offended" by The "Betsy Ross" flag?
9/20/2019 7:24 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 9/20/2019 7:24:00 PM (view original):
Excuse my ignorance and please correct it. Why would someone claim "injury" or even be "offended" by The "Betsy Ross" flag?
NIKE came out with a shoe that had the thirteen star flag on the back above the heel. Small flag on the back. Colin Kaepernick said it was racist. Nike dropped production of the shoe.
9/20/2019 7:36 PM
9/20/2019 7:38 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 9/20/2019 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 9/20/2019 3:27:00 PM (view original):
They don't say it is what they "feel like doing". That is what you say. They say it is who they are. I don't think anyone said that people doing what they feel like doing should be the baseline for legality. I still haven't heard any explanation for why someone would choose homosexuality, if they had a choice.
its so ******* simple

you like dick you go out and get some

some say Get whats right not what you want

i say Get what you want not whats right

liberty
9/20/2019 10:52 PM (edited)
FREEDOM!!!
9/21/2019 8:17 AM
Grab em' by the *****!
9/21/2019 8:26 AM
don't take

get

earn you could say, romance, wine and dine, pay for, look so good they come running

no harm. a transaction. agreeance

two free agents in the market of love
9/21/2019 11:07 AM
Having sex with someone, whether the same gender or not, is ALWAYS a choice. Why do some people choose to have sex with others of the same gender? Same reason they do so many other things I don't understand - because they can (at least here in America).
9/21/2019 11:42 AM
Posted by all3 on 9/21/2019 11:42:00 AM (view original):
Having sex with someone, whether the same gender or not, is ALWAYS a choice. Why do some people choose to have sex with others of the same gender? Same reason they do so many other things I don't understand - because they can (at least here in America).
9/21/2019 11:58 AM
◂ Prev 1...22|23|24|25|26...37 Next ▸
Dueling Dems Round V Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.