Decade draft league)--50s & 60s (ONLY NEED ONE!!!) Topic

In
7/8/2019 3:31 PM
In..Good for 1
7/13/2019 5:04 AM
thisredbox;thomcat;rubnsly;husker75;longtallbrad;coolmay_one;benjihall;kdforester;seapilots;carbonjones;eleibowitz;scudmissle;kacyon;
malone9975
A partial list of the owners from the first 50's & 60's DDL...if someone feels like sitemailing them.
7/13/2019 5:21 AM
Pex won DDL19 &20
7/14/2019 10:34 PM
In
7/14/2019 10:50 PM
i've been running the numbers, and IMO you would need to cap Wilt at $10.75M instead of $11M. (basically exclude the 68-69 season of Wilt as well)
Below $10.75M and it's reasonably fair for everyone. But including the 68-69 season of Wilt is still way too much of an advantage (30% over the next best pick). You could still get the first pick and win with a different season of Wilt, but at least the advantage wouldn't be as great.
7/15/2019 5:55 AM (edited)
I'm in
7/15/2019 7:05 AM
I took the Wayback Machine and had a look...originally the player salary cap was $11.8M and no Wilt team won the DDL. The cap was changed to $12.5M and the '66' won it all. Keep in mind that the 1st pick has a long wait before 2nd & 3rd picks. That combined with the cap of $11.5M and the draft order seems to work. NOTE - the salary cap is for all players, not just Wilt...so there has never been a ban on any specific player. In the end it's the commish who sets the player salary cap. At $11.5M the top KAJ is also banned... ;)
7/15/2019 4:38 PM
How about just banning 66-67 Wilt? I don't think other Wilts are as problematic as this one. Or perhaps ban 67 - 68 as well ? Other than these two, rest have some warts to be wary about.

7/15/2019 8:24 PM (edited)
IMHO...because the DDL has no "team salary cap" (hopefully never will) , I would set a "player salary cap" at $10M for all players in all decades. Because they're so few of them, they tend to really unbalance the league. You know what they say about hindsight....lol.
7/16/2019 2:37 AM
I would go with 10.75. Any Wilt above that is basically handing out an automatic playoff spot leading deep into the playoffs. To me that is too much of a gift.
7/16/2019 9:35 AM
I wasn't thinking a $10M cap for all players because that would cut out the top seasons of Oscar too (at least in this league). And while Oscar's a great draft pick that should go top half first round, he's not so much of a game changer that he shifts the balance of power. Wilt above $10.75 does. Put it another way, Wilt will be the #1 pick regardless of which salary range is allowed.... Oscar probably won't even go #2.
7/16/2019 3:45 PM
I'll say it again - Wilt Chamberlin is the all time greatest basketball player in history -
and its not even very close....

Im not trying to get the Jordan people riled up -
He's great - (but he really isnt even #2)

Wilt was the leagues villan - He wore the black hat..... they even changed the lane in an attempt to somewhat neutralize his dominance...

Jordan on the other hand was David Stern, and the NBA's golden goose -
marketing the league and advertising dollars were tied CLOSELY to MJ
To watch Jordan and the zebras was alarming - almost as laudable as WWE refs...

I think it would be FLABERGASTING to ponder Wilt's dominance if he were given the same golden boy teatment that the league afforded Jordan...
7/16/2019 7:48 PM
As a big time lifelong Chicago Bulls fan, I have to respond. I will agree with you that Wilt was indeed the greatest NBA player of all time. His numbers can't be approached. Much of it had to do with the fact that no one had ever seen anyone his height who was that coordinated and athletic, but that wasn't his fault.

Jordan was probably the greatest WINNER the NBA has ever seen. Much like Wilt, he was a freak athlete, but it was his will to win that sets him apart. As a Bulls fan who was standing in front of the TV watching every game in those title runs, I can tell you that Jordan LED that team like no single player has ever led another NBA team. Jordan got the most out of his AND his teammates abilities, and, like Wilt, he could do whatever he wanted on a basketball court. Remember the year he had like 23 triple doubles out of his teams final 30 games after Doug Collins moved him tp ppint guard? Remember the year he told everyone he would be a better 3 point shooter, and he shot 38%?

Comparing Wilt and Jordan is kinda like comparing Peyton Manning and Joe Montana. I don't think the NBA has seen its Tom Brady yet. IF Lebron had won each finals he was ever in, he would be Brady but he hasn't.

That all being said, I looked at each season of Wilt and I still believe that $11 mill is an ok limit. Any season he had under that was not completely ridiculous as a #1 overall pick of this draft. Over 11, yes, but under 11 is not that outrageous. An advantage? Sure, but whoever gets the top pick in any of these drafts has an advantage of sorts. I also feel that in this decade league, the talent gap between 1 and 47 is greater, so yeah sure the top pick gets Wilt, but then their 2nd and 3rd picks are basically stiffs.

7/17/2019 2:16 AM
Hey guys I am out for now, I am taking a break from WIS till September. Only going to using money for the banned league I commish and that is it. If we arent up and running by 09/01 I will be in.
7/17/2019 11:49 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Decade draft league)--50s & 60s (ONLY NEED ONE!!!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.