Decade draft league)--50s & 60s (ONLY NEED ONE!!!) Topic

can we just get WIS to update Russell's defensive stats so that most of his years are 90+ DEF?

1. WIS adjusts players who made the first team all-defensive squad to a DEF of 90. They do it every year.
2. The NBA started naming all-defensive teams in 68-69. (Bill Russell's last year in the league)
3. Bill Russell was named first team starting center for the all-defensive team in 68-69. (his last year in the league)
4. That is the ONLY year that Bill Russell was given a 90 DEF by WIS.
5. Can we just assume Bill Russell would have been the starting center on the all-defensive team in some of the years prior to his final year in the league as well? Like, maybe all of them. What the hell, WIS?

Are there even any other players who made first team all-defense in their last year in the league? Not Jerry West. Not Walt Frazier (8-time recipient). Not Kobe. 15 time all-defensive juggernaut Tim Duncan made the 2nd team defensive squad in his 2nd to last year in the league. Jordan made 1st team all-defense when he retired the first time in 97-98, but didn't make all-defense honors in either of his Wizards years.

Bill Russell's best defensive year 90 (the year he retired)... his next best defensive year he was given a 77.
7/22/2019 6:58 PM
Posted by jpevans31 on 7/22/2019 3:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pexetera on 7/22/2019 12:32:00 PM (view original):
I'm trying to imagine the look on 205 pound Rochester Royals center Phil Jordan's face if 300 pound Shaq had walked onto the court in 1959. By the way, there were 7' centers in 1959 (Pistons center Walt Dukes was 7') but it was his incredible athleticism and strength that set Wilt apart. Wilt had 30 pounds on Walt Dukes, and it was all muscle.
Lol about seeing Shaq in '59. Given the haphazard way the league was run back then, I could see every big-man outside of Russell calling in sick every gameday against Shaq.
And, you're right, there were 7-footers, but not near as prevalent. Russell was 6'9", 220, about the same size as Robert Covington, and as we've noted, 11 rings in 13 seasons. Satch Sanders split PF duties with Tom Heinsohn (also a backup C) for most of the 60s Celtics teams. Satch was 6'5", 210, Heinsohn was 6'7", 220. Again, most PFs were the size of current SGs. In a league with under a dozen teams, each team had 1 or maybe 2 guys approaching Wilt's size, all with noticeably less athleticism and talent. Wilt was among the 1% in size, and by far the most athletic guy his size. None of this is to take anything from Wilt, he could've been an All-star in any era, and his stats mean you cannot leave him out of any top 5 ever discussions. But it's the same for Russell, and Russell is a winner. Winning and living up to the moment are part of what we consider in athlete's careers, so that's why I can't put Wilt above Russell/MJ. In my list, he's right behind them, slightly above KAJ. Again, it's all subjective, debates are part of the fun.
And for what it's worth, out of my top-5 ever, Wilt probably would've been the most fun to hang out with. Russell seemed to stoic to be fun, MJ would've turned everything into a competition, I've read from too many sources that KAJ was generally cranky, and LeBron (close one over Magic) is too worried about his brand image. Wilt would've been a good wingman, probably without even trying. Or at least he would've let you watch...
Data through 2011 on player heights.

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/interesting-fact-the-players-of-the-60s-were-just-as-tall-as-today.250054137/

7/22/2019 7:01 PM
I hear you pex in 2008 I complained when the defense numbers came out i was stunned that Russell was not all hundreds Aurbach said he was the G.O. A . T
7/22/2019 7:20 PM
If 11 million is official for Will than please put on pg 1
7/22/2019 7:27 PM
Posted by pexetera on 7/22/2019 7:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jpevans31 on 7/22/2019 3:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pexetera on 7/22/2019 12:32:00 PM (view original):
I'm trying to imagine the look on 205 pound Rochester Royals center Phil Jordan's face if 300 pound Shaq had walked onto the court in 1959. By the way, there were 7' centers in 1959 (Pistons center Walt Dukes was 7') but it was his incredible athleticism and strength that set Wilt apart. Wilt had 30 pounds on Walt Dukes, and it was all muscle.
Lol about seeing Shaq in '59. Given the haphazard way the league was run back then, I could see every big-man outside of Russell calling in sick every gameday against Shaq.
And, you're right, there were 7-footers, but not near as prevalent. Russell was 6'9", 220, about the same size as Robert Covington, and as we've noted, 11 rings in 13 seasons. Satch Sanders split PF duties with Tom Heinsohn (also a backup C) for most of the 60s Celtics teams. Satch was 6'5", 210, Heinsohn was 6'7", 220. Again, most PFs were the size of current SGs. In a league with under a dozen teams, each team had 1 or maybe 2 guys approaching Wilt's size, all with noticeably less athleticism and talent. Wilt was among the 1% in size, and by far the most athletic guy his size. None of this is to take anything from Wilt, he could've been an All-star in any era, and his stats mean you cannot leave him out of any top 5 ever discussions. But it's the same for Russell, and Russell is a winner. Winning and living up to the moment are part of what we consider in athlete's careers, so that's why I can't put Wilt above Russell/MJ. In my list, he's right behind them, slightly above KAJ. Again, it's all subjective, debates are part of the fun.
And for what it's worth, out of my top-5 ever, Wilt probably would've been the most fun to hang out with. Russell seemed to stoic to be fun, MJ would've turned everything into a competition, I've read from too many sources that KAJ was generally cranky, and LeBron (close one over Magic) is too worried about his brand image. Wilt would've been a good wingman, probably without even trying. Or at least he would've let you watch...
Data through 2011 on player heights.

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/interesting-fact-the-players-of-the-60s-were-just-as-tall-as-today.250054137/

Interesting, but I can't take it too seriously in regards to what I've been saying. First, it takes data from 1989 to 2011. The league and player sizes have changed since the late 80s/early 90s, so that skews the data to read smaller than say, heights from 2009-2011. Second, it doesn't list who is being used for the samples in '89-'11. That means it was left to their discretion as to who is at what position. Listing the average heights of '89-'11 power forwards as slightly under 6'8" seems circumspect as well. How many power forwards drafted since, say, 2000 were under 6'8"? And not PF/Center like in the article, just PF. Josh Smith was drafted as a SF at 6'9". Durant as a SF, played SG his rookie year, at 6'10". PJ Tucker is now playing PF/some C at 6'6", but was drafted as a SF/PF, and is considered an outlier because of his height. There were worries about 6'8" Anthony Bennett, because he was considered too small for PF and too slow for SF. Just glance at the list of '61-62 players in that article. How many 6'5" SFs are there now? Definitely some shorter backups get SF minutes, but definitely not at the same ratio. PGs and SGs have barely gotten bigger, on average, but this article doesn't give the proper info to say bigs from the '60s were the same size.
7/22/2019 7:29 PM
Bill Russell would have been 1st team all-defense in at least 3 more years, and no less than 2nd team in another 6 years... and only Wilt would really challenge him for 1st team in those years. And based on their head-to-head matchups I'd give it to Bill, however, Wilt dominated (defensively) the other centers in the league to a greater degree than Bill did so overall it might go to Wilt.
7/22/2019 9:45 PM (edited)
For what it's worth, if a WIS admin is listening, I agree with Bill Russell's D rating. Should be 90 most years and possibly 100 in his best years.
7/23/2019 3:06 AM
Posted by amerk1180 on 7/23/2019 3:06:00 AM (view original):
For what it's worth, if a WIS admin is listening, I agree with Bill Russell's D rating. Should be 90 most years and possibly 100 in his best years.
absolutely - I agree 100% - Russell is THE GOLD STANDARD of Def. in NBA history...

7/23/2019 10:57 AM
well, according to the SIM, Andrew Bogut in 14-15 with the Golden State Warriors had a higher defensive prowess than all of Bill Russell's seasons but one.
If I could change just one thing about the SIM it would be Bill Russell's DEF ratings. and it's so easy to change, it could be done in minutes.

The second thing I would change would be to add a TOV% option to the advanced search stats.
7/23/2019 11:54 AM (edited)
Posted by cmcafeeky on 7/23/2019 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by amerk1180 on 7/23/2019 3:06:00 AM (view original):
absolutely - I agree 100% - Russell is THE GOLD STANDARD of Def. in NBA history...

Now I'll be showing my age . . . I saw Russell play twice against the Lakers at the Los Angeles Sports Arena. ABC used to televise NBA games and for some reason I always remember Bill Russell playing and "schooling" a number of players. I'll take Russell anytime on a team. Plus, he has the world's greatest laughter!
7/23/2019 4:10 PM
Would watch Wilt vs Bill on Sundays when we got cable in 1960 Bill always gave Wilt a hard time frustrated Wilt to death b/c he could not score at will!!
7/24/2019 6:57 PM
I'll take a 2nd team...
7/25/2019 7:15 PM
Posted by cmcafeeky on 7/22/2019 3:57:00 PM (view original):

1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
3. Michael Jordan*
4. LeBron James
5. Larry Bird
5. Magic Johnson
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Tim Duncan
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Dr. J
11. John Stockton

then ?
Karl Malone*
Charles Barkley
Im not sure how to rank Bill Russell - to me, he is the toughest (a winnner and defensivie gem but...)
........A-Train No lower than 5th
7/26/2019 2:48 AM
Posted by smokey63 on 7/25/2019 7:15:00 PM (view original):
I'll take a 2nd team...
GREAT ! - Now Im PRAYING my teams get in YOUR division....
LOL
7/26/2019 9:53 AM
Dejavu all over agian. How'd that work out last time Slick??? lmao ;))
7/26/2019 3:13 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Decade draft league)--50s & 60s (ONLY NEED ONE!!!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.