Innovative Recruiting Topic

So I decided I was going to try something new to me this recruiting season. It's one of my larger classes, the conference was fairly successful so I had some more cash to throw around so I am going to short my recruiting class by 3 players. That would allow me to spend more money on better recruits and if all goes as planned, I will cut those three Sim AI recruits and even out my class sizes. So far so good. I have locked in almost my entire class before signing day. Then I remembered I have a punter do my kicking duties as well. That means Sim AI will give me a crappy kicker that I can't cut until next season or change positions because I would fall below the required amount on the roster.

Do I try to sign a crappy K on the cheap or just live with what is given to me? How many of you have tried this technique and how has it worked out for you long term? I've been working toward building this program from the bottom and was hoping to jump up in the GUESS rankings, but understand that three Sims won't effect my team's overall performance, just ding me the rankings.
7/18/2019 11:34 AM
If you don't want a kicker and if you are planning to take a full class next year, let the assistant coach sign your kicker. Then you can cut him with less of a Reputation penalty.
7/18/2019 11:43 AM
Thanks, Jeff. I took a flier on a DL that was still interested in me. Threw him a scholly to see what that gives me if anything. I figure the $100 lottery ticket is better than what the assistant can sign, since it was a guy that I scouted and visited already.
7/18/2019 11:56 AM
There is a lot of value in balanced classes, like you mentioned above. It's also key to balance out each position. If you have 3/12/12/12/11, but one of the classes contains 3 WRs and 3 LBs then balance won't really matter much at all. That's just an example and I also didn't look at any of your teams.
7/18/2019 12:23 PM
Balancing positions has been a little more difficult. This class should get me back on track.
7/18/2019 2:27 PM
I had an assistant coach-recruited Punter who ended up second team All-American a few seasons ago. If you get lucky with STR you might be okay with the kicker signed for you.
7/18/2019 3:52 PM
You'll be OK by moving the SIM kicker to a different position and allowing your punter to be your kicker as well. Play an exhibition game and set your FG to 50 yards and see how the punter does in that game. It's only one game, but it may give you an idea of how it will go.
7/18/2019 4:31 PM
I left an open slot and didn't sign a kicker, and the walkon kicker I got was not so bad, but had VH potential, and eventually turned out to be a good kicker.
7/18/2019 5:30 PM
The main problem with not carrying a Kicker will be the performance of your kickoff team I think.
7/19/2019 7:45 PM
Posted by muckraker on 7/18/2019 4:31:00 PM (view original):
You'll be OK by moving the SIM kicker to a different position and allowing your punter to be your kicker as well. Play an exhibition game and set your FG to 50 yards and see how the punter does in that game. It's only one game, but it may give you an idea of how it will go.
If you only have one K, you cannot change his position. Unless that has changed.
7/21/2019 11:10 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 7/21/2019 11:10:00 PM (view original):
If you only have one K, you cannot change his position. Unless that has changed.
This. Also, unless something has changed, cutting a player your AC signs has the same penalty as cutting one you sign. You only get the break if you cut another coach's recruit.
7/22/2019 2:24 PM
Thanks for your help. My kicker sucks, but I was always going to cut three players from this year's freshman class. I just need to remember going forward that you must have a kicker on roster or the assistant coaches will find, literally the worst K in all of D-II.
7/29/2019 11:31 AM
or....you can do the WardoYT method of recruiting and draft a punter when you already have two, spend all your money on him and then take fourteen walk ons.....ba zing!!!
8/2/2019 9:22 AM
Posted by scrodz on 7/22/2019 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by l80r20 on 7/21/2019 11:10:00 PM (view original):
This. Also, unless something has changed, cutting a player your AC signs has the same penalty as cutting one you sign. You only get the break if you cut another coach's recruit.
Damn this hurts my feelings...lol
8/3/2019 5:13 AM
Cut my three SIM recruits, reputation took a hit to a B+z. How much is this going to hurt my recruiting now?
8/13/2019 4:46 PM
12 Next ▸
Innovative Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.