Posted by DougOut on 8/17/2019 6:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/17/2019 6:10:00 PM (view original):
Doug: OH YEAH. On that cages thing..............

I remember the REPUBLICANS saying it was an emergency.
Yes.

Your point?
It's an emergency that we are putting kids in cages? I would agree with that.
8/17/2019 11:16 PM
Posted by DougOut on 8/18/2019 1:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/17/2019 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by DougOut on 8/17/2019 6:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/17/2019 6:10:00 PM (view original):
Doug: OH YEAH. On that cages thing..............

I remember the REPUBLICANS saying it was an emergency.
Yes.

Your point?
It's an emergency that we are putting kids in cages? I would agree with that.
YES

We conservatives said there was an emergency and democrats said Trump made it all up.

The Dems were trying to take back the House on the fake news collusion Russia thing.

The Dems won with their lies. Now everybody knows there was no collision and hates FAKE NEWS.

Only after that did the Dems finally admit there was a crisis on the border. You hid it before the election.

YOU actually denied it! You called Trump a liar. And NOW you turn 180 degrees and tell me there is an emergency.

GUESS WHAT? I haven't changed. YOU HAVE.

NOW THAT WE FINALLY BOTH AGREE THERE IS A PROBLEM...I PUT THIS TO YOU.

What do you do about it? I know what you wanna do. Why don't you tell us?
The problem created by the Republicans... and we expect the Republicans to solve it?

Also the Dems took the house on Healthcare.
8/18/2019 2:51 PM
Posted by tangplay on 7/23/2019 2:45:00 PM (view original):
According to 538, studies of Republicans find that they believe that Christians are more persecuted than Muslims, and whites are more discriminated than blacks.

In other news, Brian Kilmeade said that "Immigration will destroy the color- I mean culture of America"

Just an everyday racist Freudian slip. Might as well say it, it's what you mean.

As we speak, children are still being abused and kept in cages. And half the country doesn't care.

Delusion.
8/18/2019 4:30 PM
Posted by DougOut on 8/18/2019 3:50:00 PM (view original):
YOU ARE A LIAR

You lost on fake healthcare. You won on LIES.

Republicans didn't write the laws that allow them in. YOU DID.

WE LISTENED TO YOU and you lied and now Americans are getting our *** kicked.

The stupid-*** OBAMA law encouraged them to come up here. THE DREAMERS!

ALL THAT BLOOD and misery and rape and murder and starvation IS ON YOUR HANDS!

OWN UP TO IT! YOU'RE NOT THAT STUPID ARE YOU? ARE YOU?

Apologize to ME and NON SPORTS and AMERICA and THE WORLD.

YOU KILLED BABIES! AND YOU LOVE IT! YOU SUPPORT ABORTION. MURDER! ADMIT IT!

But I don't. I don't wanna kill anything or anybody. And I'm not even MENNONITE.

"Fake Healthcare" perfectly describes the Republican policy, lol.

Asylum is legal. Always has been.
8/18/2019 5:33 PM

line
8/18/2019 7:12 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/18/2019 5:33:00 PM (view original):
YOU ARE A LIAR

But I don't. I don't wanna kill anything or anybody. And I'm not even MENNONITE.

True.

The problem is the route chosen by the person seeking refugee status. Here is Article 31 from the 1951 UN Convention that established international law - UNHCR - Convention and Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees. I have added the underlining.

Article 31 Refugees unlawfully in the country of refugee 1.The Contracting States shall not impose penalties, on account of their illegal entry or presence, on refugees who, coming directly from a territory where their life or freedom was threatened in the sense of article 1, enter or are present in their territory without authorization, provided they present themselves without delay to the authorities and show good cause for their illegal entry or presence. 2.The Contracting States shall not apply to the movements of such refugees restrictions other than those which are necessary and such restrictions shall only be applied until their status in the country is regularized or they obtain admission into another country. The Contracting States shall allow such refugees a reasonable period and all the necessary facilities to obtain admission into another country.
8/18/2019 7:52 PM
"coming directly" is pretty vague

could be temporal

could be political geography -- so if two states distant an air traveler is ok but a train traveler not

what does "coming directly" mean
8/18/2019 8:37 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/18/2019 7:52:00 PM (view original):
YOU ARE A LIAR

True.

The problem is the route chosen by the person seeking refugee status. Here is Article 31 from the 1951 UN Convention that established international law - UNHCR - Convention and Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees. I have added the underlining.

Article 31 Refugees unlawfully in the country of refugee 1.The Contracting States shall not impose penalties, on account of their illegal entry or presence, on refugees who, coming directly from a territory where their life or freedom was threatened in the sense of article 1, enter or are present in their territory without authorization, provided they present themselves without delay to the authorities and show good cause for their illegal entry or presence. 2.The Contracting States shall not apply to the movements of such refugees restrictions other than those which are necessary and such restrictions shall only be applied until their status in the country is regularized or they obtain admission into another country. The Contracting States shall allow such refugees a reasonable period and all the necessary facilities to obtain admission into another country.
Are they not coming directly from their home country?

BTW, I personally feel that our current policy violates "The Contracting States shall not apply to the movements of such refugees restrictions other than those which are necessary," and "The Contracting States shall allow such refugees a reasonable period and all the necessary facilities to obtain admission into another country."
8/18/2019 8:45 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 8/18/2019 8:38:00 PM (view original):
"coming directly" is pretty vague

could be temporal

could be political geography -- so if two states distant an air traveler is ok but a train traveler not

what does "coming directly" mean
Well, I'm not sure if you and tang are reading me correctly. I am not arguing in favor of denying asylum, I am only highlighting the legal sticking point.

I agree that it is vague. Oftentimes, I believe diplomatic language is intentionally vague to allow for endless maneuvering after the treaty has been signed.
8/18/2019 9:44 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/18/2019 8:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/18/2019 7:52:00 PM (view original):
YOU ARE A LIAR

True.

Are they not coming directly from their home country?

BTW, I personally feel that our current policy violates "The Contracting States shall not apply to the movements of such refugees restrictions other than those which are necessary," and "The Contracting States shall allow such refugees a reasonable period and all the necessary facilities to obtain admission into another country."
Who knows to your first line. Does going through another country nullify directness? The treaty does not define the adverb "directly."

The second - "such refugees" only applies to those that meet the criteria in sub-section 1, i.e., those that are "coming directly from," leading us around in a circle.
8/18/2019 9:53 PM
So we can only take Cubans, Mexicans, Canadians, and Pacific Islanders?
8/19/2019 2:44 AM
Posted by bronxcheer on 8/19/2019 2:44:00 AM (view original):
So we can only take Cubans, Mexicans, Canadians, and Pacific Islanders?
lol.

I'm not a lawyer (thank God) but I think the argument is parallel to the Dublin Regulation for the EU. To prevent asylum seekers from shopping around, they are required to apply for asylum in the first country they step foot into. The Swiss (although they are not members) are probably the ones who came up with this, being safely landlocked and "protected" from African and Middle Eastern population movements.

I believe, and again I am not a lawyer, that by not requesting refugee status in the first country, the person's actions fall under the definition for economic migration, which is not a protected class under the 1951 protocol.
8/19/2019 7:23 AM (edited)
So people in Honduras and El Salvador are virtually required to apply for asylum in Guatemala? Lol
8/19/2019 8:42 AM
Posted by tangplay on 8/19/2019 8:42:00 AM (view original):
So people in Honduras and El Salvador are virtually required to apply for asylum in Guatemala? Lol
I don't know. If Guatemala is deemed a safe country and they don't want to hazard a water crossing (which would technically make their first country any country with a coastline,) maybe. International law is usually written to protect the interests of the Great Powers, not the little guys.
8/19/2019 8:51 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/19/2019 8:51:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/19/2019 8:42:00 AM (view original):
I don't know. If Guatemala is deemed a safe country and they don't want to hazard a water crossing (which would technically make their first country any country with a coastline,) maybe. International law is usually written to protect the interests of the Great Powers, not the little guys.
Guatemala is anything but a safe country.

If that's how the rule is intended, then the rule has very little applicability.
8/19/2019 11:50 AM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27|28...36 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.