The Ugly and the Uglier ($100 million) [Need 1] Topic

The Ugly and the Uglier (this theme is loosely inspired by Schwarze's The Good, The Bad & the Ugly)

How terrible can a $99-$100 million roster be, without any overt problems (like overspending on excess IP/PA, not drafting enough PA/IP resulting in excessive fatigue, or forcing players to play out of position?) Can you make it impossible to win with your own roster, while taking someone else's flawed roster to the playoffs and beyond?

Scoring: Every owner receives one point for every win they manage to wrangle out of the roster they are managing and one point for every unavoidable loss their own roster inflicts on their manager. The top eight owners will advance to the playoffs and be seeded based on their total points.

Roster Building Rules:

There must be at least 600 plate appearances available at each infield position and 1800 plate appearances available for the outfield. A player who plays multiple positions cannot count towards this requirement for multiple positions. This means that the manager cannot be forced to play a player out of position, where they have no available fielding ratings.

The total team plate appearances must be between 5000 and 6000.
The total team innings pitched must be between 1400 and 1500.
All teams will play in Whatifsports park.
You must spend at least $99 million, and at least $30 million on hitting and $30 million on pitching.

As noted above, you will be managing someone else's roster, and someone else will be managing your roster.

Additional details:

Salary Cap: $100 Million
Seasons: Any
DH: No
AAA: No
WW: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Yes

Drafting (All Rosters must be submitted and will be verified before drafting begins)

Roster Draft: The draft order will be determined randomly. Each owner has a choice: they can assign someone to manage their roster, they can choose to manage another owner's roster, or they can assign an owner other than him or herself to manage another designated owner's roster (e.g. I assign ozomatli to manage brianjw's roster).

Divison alignment Draft: (Takes place after the Roster Draft is complete) The four owners drafting last in the Roster Draft will each be placed into their own divisions, and get to determine the rest of the division alignment through a three round serpentine draft (1-4, 4-1, and 1-4). The last pick in the roster draft will get the first pick in R1, the second to last pick in the roster draft will get the second pick in R1, and so on. In each round, an owner can choose to put someone in their own division, or into someone else's division, but only one owner can be added to a division in any given round.
10/28/2019 1:30 PM (edited)
Signup list:

1. justinlee_24
2. DoctorKz
3. barracuda3
4. schwarze
5. reddtrain
6. je3rd
7. redcped
8. fatguyrd
9. normy17
10. Jtspops
11. vilefileman
12. CLWECW
13. buddhagamer
14. BullMoose
15. Disco Dogs
16. toysboys
11/14/2019 3:49 AM (edited)
Yeah I'm in
7/30/2019 7:15 PM
I'll play.
7/31/2019 12:45 PM
Why not. I butchered my bad team so bad in schwarze's theme I'll try to redeem myself a bit. Count me in.
7/31/2019 9:54 PM
This is awesome. Love the draft concept. I'm in.
8/1/2019 1:38 PM
would anyone here object if I add one more rule: that teams spend a minimum of $30 million on hitting and $30 million on pitching? I ran a couple of trial teams through simmatchup just for fun and it's pretty clear that teams that spend literally no money on pitching or hitting could be disastrously terrible without any real thought being put into the team.
8/1/2019 3:18 PM
Posted by justinlee_24 on 8/1/2019 3:18:00 PM (view original):
would anyone here object if I add one more rule: that teams spend a minimum of $30 million on hitting and $30 million on pitching? I ran a couple of trial teams through simmatchup just for fun and it's pretty clear that teams that spend literally no money on pitching or hitting could be disastrously terrible without any real thought being put into the team.
I would not object to this.

8/1/2019 3:25 PM
No objections here...
8/1/2019 5:01 PM
I just built a team I wouldn't want to manage...sign me up!
8/2/2019 11:49 AM
I’d like to join.

count me in
8/3/2019 12:24 AM
One question. Will we be able to see everyone's rosters before the draft, or will be drafting blind?
8/4/2019 12:18 AM
That's actually a good question and I've been quietly debating that for a while. Some peeps might want to wait to build their roster until after they know who will be managing it, but at the same time allowing everyone to see rosters when drafting opens up more options during the roster draft. I might sitemail the other owners already signed up and ask for their feedback on it.
8/4/2019 12:57 AM
I'm in either way, but I'd vote to see the rosters beforehand

We'd need to send the rosters to you when we completed them, and then you post them all at draft time (that way people don't get to see each other's rosters before completing their own).
8/4/2019 1:06 AM
Yep, that's exactly how I would do it if that's what is decided.
8/4/2019 1:28 AM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
The Ugly and the Uglier ($100 million) [Need 1] Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.