Round 1 Owner Polls, 2019 Topic

Posted by daddyzander on 8/5/2019 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Part of me wonders if a lot of it is the fact that most people seem inherently more comfortable in the 100-120 mil cap range, whereas the lower caps are outside of their normal playing habits.

I think it's human nature to feel good about teams w/ strong, high performance rosters and to forget that everything is relative and everyone else's rosters are strong, too. And the converse is true when you get into the lower caps.
8/5/2019 1:31 PM
Yeah I was referring more to comfort level than how skilled the teams are, I know my Variable team is the "best" team. However I would not say it was where I was most confident.
8/5/2019 1:47 PM

I can't imagine anybody feeling confident about the 70 mil. Most of us are just winging it at that salary cap. There can't be very many cookie cutter players that owners have used over and over again.

8/5/2019 1:52 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 8/5/2019 1:52:00 PM (view original):

I can't imagine anybody feeling confident about the 70 mil. Most of us are just winging it at that salary cap. There can't be very many cookie cutter players that owners have used over and over again.

I think that there might well have been, but the First/Last theme effectively reduced that pool of players dramatically. Hence it was a very smart design of a theme. It took the people with more experience at the cap out of their comfort zone and narrowed the gap between them and less experienced owners.
8/5/2019 1:58 PM
Posted by redcped on 8/5/2019 1:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by skinndogg on 8/5/2019 1:52:00 PM (view original):

I think that there might well have been, but the First/Last theme effectively reduced that pool of players dramatically. Hence it was a very smart design of a theme. It took the people with more experience at the cap out of their comfort zone and narrowed the gap between them and less experienced owners.
yep, the pool of players definitely was much smaller, but I actually didn't find it overly constraining. Personally, I think a smaller subset of the top owners will be even more dominant than they would usually be in a $70m theme due to being able to construct a roster that looks sort of like what they would normally roster at this cap when others wind up settling for lesser quality players.
8/5/2019 2:16 PM
I agree with justinlee_24. Owners who rely on players, rather than attributes of players, will struggle with that theme.
8/5/2019 2:21 PM
Posted by ejstockman on 8/5/2019 4:02:00 AM (view original):
My money is on Ozo.
Thanks for the jinx! As if trying to repeat isn't hard enough already, lol
8/5/2019 2:21 PM
Now why would I jinx you?!?! It's not like you are in 3 or 4 out of the 6 leagues with me or anything....
8/5/2019 8:02 PM
Which team will do best and worst? Theoretically the answers should all be near 17%. We can't all do well in the same leagues. And we can't all lose in $70m.
8/5/2019 11:43 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 8/5/2019 11:43:00 PM (view original):
Which team will do best and worst? Theoretically the answers should all be near 17%. We can't all do well in the same leagues. And we can't all lose in $70m.
not necessarily... for example, in the $70m league a lot of people could be mediocre to poor, while a select few are really, really dominant (in terms of statistics, think a select few are like >2 std deviations above the norm while a bunch of people are around 1 standard deviation below the norm).
8/6/2019 12:06 AM
For what it's worth, all 5 former winners predicted that a former winner would win.
8/6/2019 1:20 AM
You didn't give me the option of saying But Not Me.
8/6/2019 2:51 AM
The old adage that just about all teams win or lose at least 60 games, and what separates the good from the bad is how you do in the other 40 rings true here as well. The disparity from 75 win teams to 90 win teams isn't a lot...this will be the typical annual dogfight...I for one get pumped for those 3 scoreboard updates each day, followed by the numerous posts by both the exuberant and the downtrodden. ..

Speaking of downtrodden, which do you most identify with?
synonyms: oppressed, subjugated, persecuted, subdued, repressed, tyrannized, ground down, or crushed?

I gotta go with crushed...finishing 25th will do that.

We will witness violent, extreme mood swings...one day it will be rejoicing, followed by despair, disbelief! The SIM will be subjected to an array of name calling, that it cannot be functioning properly, that it must be having psychotic episodes...not to mention that the algorithms pick favorites, and slight others...oh so unfair...a few may perhaps have an experience that leaves them no choice but to leave and never return...
8/6/2019 8:28 PM (edited)
I'm going way out on a limb, that I will finish somewhere close to my career .510 winning percentage. And I did that without the OUIJA board...but I would not be surprised to end up closer to my playoff .475 record, although I hope not...

My least favorite team is the $110M, although I think my pitching is good enough for us to compete. I built my $70M team not knowing about the draft center's ability to sort first/last. After review, i found my team to be right where I hoped they'd rate, so I'm feeling good about that one. I'm probably towards the lower end salary wise on the variable cap, but I like my team regardless. The others are pot luck.

i think I can do better than my pre ranking.(50) We'll see. I've made a mess here before...
8/6/2019 9:08 PM (edited)
After seeing the other teams, I feel ______ about my chances.
Votes: 18
(Last vote received: 8/19/2019 8:46 AM)
8/13/2019 2:43 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Round 1 Owner Polls, 2019 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.