Old Skool with a Twist (8 in) Topic

OLD SKOOL with a Twist

This is a 4 round draft league. ABBA format. $49M cap. The first round you will draft a FRANCHISE just like the Old Skool league. However, the next 3 rounds you will draft PLAYERS. Just like the Old Skool franchise league you can only use players who played for your franchise and can only use those seasons they played for your franchise (no twisting). Players drafted are now exclusive to your team. Players not drafted can be used by any franchise they played for as long they are in seasons they played for that franchise.

Player example: Lebron played for the Cavs, Heat, and Lakers. Only the owners of those franchises are eligible to draft Lebron because those are the only franchises he played for. Lebron will then become exclusive to the franchise that drafts him. The other two franchises will have to form a team without using Lebron. There will only be one Lebron in the league. The franchise that drafts Lebron (Cavs, Heat, or Lakers) can only use him in one of the years he played for that franchise, no twisting and no clones. It's an Old Skool franchise team, but instead of having 3 Lebrons in the league on the Cavs, Heat, and Lakers teams, he will only be on the one team (Cavs, Heat, or Lakers) that drafts him. Players who only ever played for one franchise (Duncan for the Spurs, Kobe for the Lakers, Bird for the Celtics, etc) don't need to be drafted, you get them automatically when you draft the franchise.

Another player example: Wilt played for the 76ers, Warriors, and Lakers. Only the owners of those franchises are eligible to draft Wilt because those are the only franchises he played for. Wilt will then become exclusive to the franchise that drafts him. The other franchises will have to form a team without Wilt. There will only be one Wilt in the league. The franchise that drafts Wilt (76ers, Warriors, or Lakers) can only use him in one of the years he played for that franchise, no twisting and no clones.

Team example: Lets say you draft the Lakers as your franchise with the #1 overall pick in the first round. That franchise automatically comes with FRANCHISE PLAYERS Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Jerry West, James Worthy, Elgin Baylor, Michael Cooper and any other players who only ever played for your franchise. These players are exclusive to you because they couldn't be drafted by anyone else and you don't have to worry about drafting them later either. You can use any, all, or none of your FRANCHISE PLAYERS on your team. The next 3 rounds (BBA format) you will draft players who did not only ever play for your franchise, but you want to draft them to make them exclusive to your franchise. For the Lakers, you will probably want to draft a center such as Wilt, Shaq, or Kareem. But if any of the other franchises they played for draft them before you get to make your 2nd round player pick... then they will be off the table and you could end up with Vlade Divac as your center. So pick your franchise wisely, and pick the order you draft your players wisely.

You can also play the role of spoiler.... For example: Lets say you you're bummed because you got the 24th pick in the draft, hard to overcome in an ordinary franchise draft league. But you choose to draft the reigning NBA champion Raptors as your franchise with the #24 overall pick in the first round. You don't get many FRANCHISE PLAYERS with the Raptors, but you do get Pascal Siakam, and the first pick in the next two player drafting rounds. You could take Kawhi Leonard with your first player pick (taking him off the Spurs team) and Chris Bosh with your 2nd players pick (taking Bosh off the Heat team - if the Heat didn't already draft Bosh with their first player pick), and if whoever has the Houston Rockets franchise doesn't draft Hakeem thinking no one else would draft him, then the Raptors could draft him with their 3rd pick (but the Raptors would have to use Hakeem in the season he played for the Raptors) Talk about spoiler; and a Raptors team that's built around Kawhi, Bosh, Siakam, and Hakeem, wouldn't be a bad team at all at a $49M cap for franchises.

OWNERS: 8 IN
pexetera
quaker127
mptrey
jcred5
seapilots
sappy
tau1624
EvanSmoakX
9/22/2019 10:37 PM (edited)
Sounds interesting, I'm in.
8/5/2019 10:45 AM
thanks. it's basically a franchise league, but evens out the playing field a little for the bottom franchises by giving them first pick and exclusive rights to great players who played with their franchises at some point in their career.
8/5/2019 12:56 PM
Yeah I like the dynamic. Draft position will completely determine the strategy.
8/5/2019 3:44 PM
sounds good count me in
8/5/2019 4:27 PM
In
8/6/2019 4:02 AM
Seems interesting, but I confess I'm confused reading through the explanation. I guess I just don't get the logic/approach of rounds 2-4. So, if I draft the Lakers but then another owner drafts Shaq I don't get Shaq? And, does the owner who drafted him in the 2nd round (lets say they drafted the Mavericks), do they get Shaq? Or does no one get Shaq? And if so are rounds 2-4 essentially either drafting an exclusive player or blocking other owners from taking great players from their franchise?

I love the old skool league - my favorite theme. And have thought about a twist idea, just not sure on how this one works.
8/14/2019 8:21 AM
Posted by jcred5 on 8/14/2019 8:21:00 AM (view original):
Seems interesting, but I confess I'm confused reading through the explanation. I guess I just don't get the logic/approach of rounds 2-4. So, if I draft the Lakers but then another owner drafts Shaq I don't get Shaq? And, does the owner who drafted him in the 2nd round (lets say they drafted the Mavericks), do they get Shaq? Or does no one get Shaq? And if so are rounds 2-4 essentially either drafting an exclusive player or blocking other owners from taking great players from their franchise?

I love the old skool league - my favorite theme. And have thought about a twist idea, just not sure on how this one works.
I'll try to clarify.
1. In the 1st round you draft a franchise just like in the Old Skool league.... in your post the Lakers.
2. In the 2nd round owners begin to draft players.
a) The 2nd round is reverse draft order to the first round, so that those who got last pick at the franchises get first pick at a player.
b) If another franchise owner drafts Shaq before you do, then you are correct, you don't get to use Shaq for your Lakers team, he becomes exclusive to the franchise who drafted him. Only the franchise that drafted Shaq can use Shaq on their team.
c) Just like the Old Skool league, owners can only draft players who played for their franchise, so only a franchise who Shaq played for can draft Shaq. (Magic, Lakers, Heat, Suns, Cavaliers, Celtics) So for the example in your post, the owner of the Mavericks, would not be able to draft Shaq. Shaq never played for the Mavericks franchise and therefore you would never see Shaq used on a Mavericks team in the Old Skool league either.
d) Just like in the Old Skool league, a player must be used in a season he played for your franchise (no twisting). So, for example, if the Cavaliers draft Shaq in the first round then he must be on the Cavaliers Old Skool franchise team in the 09-10 Shaq season.

Your player picks are BOTH drafting an exclusive player for your team and blocking other owners from using great players for their franchise.

If the Cavs picked Shaq in the first round that would BOTH make Shaq exclusive to the Cavs and block him from the Magic, Lakers, Heat, Suns or Celtics. Which would certainly be a spoiler for the Magic, Lakers, and Heat. However, I would think the Cavs would draft Lebron in the first round, don't you? Picking Lebron in the first round makes Lebron exclusive to the Cavs, and blocks Lebron from being used by the Heat or Lakers. Also quite a spoiler for the Heat and Lakers, and Lebron is much more important to the Cavs franchise than Shaq. That assumes the Cavs are drafted after the Lakers and the Heat, and therefore get to pick Lebron before the Lakers and Heat make their first player draft pick. So the order of franchise draft selection matters!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
8/15/2019 12:30 AM (edited)
Let's look at the Warriors for example. I noticed the Warriors were drafted 1st in this latest Old Skool league draft. And no wonder, the Warriors have a great all-time franchise team. They have Curry, Klay, Iguodala, Durant, Draymond, and Wilt. But in this Old Skool twist with 3 rounds of players drafting, I suspect Durant will get drafted by the Sonics/Thunder in the first player draft round (a great pickup for the Thunder) making Durant exclusive to the Thunder and making him unavailable to the Warriors team. I suspect Wilt will get drafted by either the 76ers or Lakers in the first player draft round, making Wilt unavailable to the Warriors team. The Warriors are still a very desirable franchise because they have Curry, Klay, and Draymond which are already exclusive to them, but they're weaker than they would be in the Old Skool league with the strong possibility that their team will not have either Durant or Wilt on it. Even Iguodala could possibly get drafted by the Nuggets or 76ers in the later draft rounds, making him unavailable to the Warriors as well. If you want him on your team, snag him before somebody else gets him.
8/23/2019 10:43 AM (edited)
thanks - that helps clarify. Durant is a good example of a pick that helps your team and blocks for the other team. Shaq, depending on the team (Cavs, Celtics) is more of a block than a draft. Interesting. Also makes franchises with players that can't be drafted more desirable, like the Celtics with Bird, Russell, McHale.

Ok - I'm in if this gets off the ground.
8/18/2019 10:41 AM
if jc is in I'll join as well
8/18/2019 3:08 PM
The teams are still Old Skool franchise teams because they are only made up of players who played for your franchise with no twisting, but we're going to make 3 draft rounds of players exclusive to your franchise. This will shake up the same old look of the franchise teams and even the playing field for the franchises drafted late.
8/23/2019 10:43 AM
I'll play if it gets off ground
8/23/2019 12:08 PM
Count me in
9/7/2019 5:53 AM
i think i am going to withdraw from this league.
9/7/2019 8:29 AM
12 Next ▸
Old Skool with a Twist (8 in) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.