Best/worst formations Topic

I have tried most offensive formations, although my recruiting, game plans and practice plans were (and still are) in need of improvement to fully understand their merits.
Would anyone like to share their experience, good or bad with specific formations?
I have had mixed results due to learning the game, however I am getting better with NDB. I also use Trips with all of my teams.
8/12/2019 7:53 AM
My analysis was pretty basic. The dev chats always discuss offense from the I formation point of view. As a result, my most successful formation is the I formation probably because I understand the math better with that formation.

However, it is really important to understand that you can win with all the formations provided you train, recruit and game plan accordingly.

Net/Net: I have the most success with the I formation because I understand it the best.

Good luck.

nitros
8/12/2019 11:41 AM
Thanks nitros!
8/12/2019 11:52 AM
I have had success with all formations (meaning I have won NC's) except WB. Dunno why, but I can't get that one right. I have seen other complain about it also . But to a lesser degree I have seen others win NC's with it. So for sure it can be done.
Recruit for your formation-And-How you want to use them. For ex. Just cause you may use ND which is basicly a run formation, Doesn't mean you can't recruit receiving TE's and pass blocking OL and run a passing ND team. Determine what you want to do with your formations and recruit accordingly.
8/12/2019 6:44 PM (edited)
I recruit TE's that can block and receive, for NDB. I also try different formations for each team. I really enjoy learning the ins and outs. Most of my teams are just to see what I'd like to try in the future with Albany
8/13/2019 1:45 AM
I run only the Pro-set offense and it's good for the balanced offense I want to run and for having a balanced roster. I'd imagine the I-Formation exactly the same...I just preferred the Pro-set as it's more common in real life.

On defense, I really like and heavily utilize the 3-4 as my base defense. I think it's the best to stop the passing game to RB's and TE's and can also stop the run. I run it about 2/3 of the time. Then Nickel at 20%...with some Dime and 4-4 mixed in. I used to be a 4-3 guy, but so much passing I don't think it's an ideal defense to run. I rarely have 4 DL's on the field, so it allows me also to carry less DL's...which is nice.

I think any offense can work great for the right players and scheme, but on defense I think my strategy is ideal against current trends.
8/13/2019 2:30 AM
I use the same defence for all of my teams... I'm also a big fan of 3-4 airraiddevil. Do you find your players improve a lot less by having to commit practice time to 4 formations?
8/13/2019 11:59 AM
Offense: I only practice Pro-Set, so I can put a lot of minutes there and they improve very quickly on that formation IQ

Defense: I put a lot of minutes to the 3-4, a bit less to the Nickel, then less than that to both the Dime and the 4-4. They grow about the rate of the minutes I allocate.

Note: I have all D1 Elites with loaded rosters. This allows me to put a lot more minutes into Formation IQ practice time. My players skill ratings are already very high so no need for me to invest too much time into those.
8/13/2019 5:52 PM
Posted by nitros on 8/12/2019 11:41:00 AM (view original):
My analysis was pretty basic. The dev chats always discuss offense from the I formation point of view. As a result, my most successful formation is the I formation probably because I understand the math better with that formation.

However, it is really important to understand that you can win with all the formations provided you train, recruit and game plan accordingly.

Net/Net: I have the most success with the I formation because I understand it the best.

Good luck.

nitros
+1
The I has been the best for me. I can accomplish what I want to do out of this formation. Run or Pass. I have used it in combination with TRIP and Shotgun with great success. That is what I used at PITT in WILK. (Don't look at the later seasons Things went to hell then.LOL) Since then I only use I as I can not recruit a great Pas QB to save my life.

At one time I used NDB with Trip and Shotgun w/some success but didn't really pan out as much as I had hoped. Ran a WB with out any success.

PRO is supposed to be just another I formation from what I hear but can't seem to make it work.

All in all any formation that you go for you need the right players. :-)
8/13/2019 9:47 PM
I pick formations based on my ability to recruit certain positions. I use running formations at smaller schools because it's easier to find RBs and TEs than good QBs and WRs. Same for defense - 3-4 is good because there are always a ton of LBs available to pick up late.
8/13/2019 10:53 PM
I have never won with Shotgun and I don't recall many others being dominant with it. I really like Wishbone and have done well with it.

On defense I have never tried 5-2 because it seems restrictive. I should actually try it to test it out first hand. Dime can be good, but it takes a commitment to get enough DBs to make it work. It really weakens you in other spots. I learned the hard way you can't survive with it as your only defense.

Any combo of 4-3/Nickel, 4-3/4-4, 3-4/4-4, 3-4/4-3 work well and are manageable to keep your roster tight.

All of the above is moot without good players.
8/13/2019 11:36 PM
Played against a D2 guy in one of my worlds (can't remember which one) but they were shotgun/dime and kicked my butt in the playoffs.

I personally use either I or PRO for my offense (depends on the world and level) and 3-4 for D. Used to be a 4-3 coach but found with the amount of passing teams I deal with it made more sense to be 3-4
8/14/2019 12:14 AM
Posted by kwheeler on 8/14/2019 12:14:00 AM (view original):
Played against a D2 guy in one of my worlds (can't remember which one) but they were shotgun/dime and kicked my butt in the playoffs.

I personally use either I or PRO for my offense (depends on the world and level) and 3-4 for D. Used to be a 4-3 coach but found with the amount of passing teams I deal with it made more sense to be 3-4
I used shotgun and dime for div 2 Cheyney in Leahy. Lost in the finals but had a couple of lucky wins to get there. It was a failed experiment.
8/14/2019 12:35 AM
Posted by realist9900 on 8/14/2019 12:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kwheeler on 8/14/2019 12:14:00 AM (view original):

I used shotgun and dime for div 2 Cheyney in Leahy. Lost in the finals but had a couple of lucky wins to get there. It was a failed experiment.
IT was probably you then... I was with Findlay in Leahy
8/14/2019 1:00 AM
Had some dominant shotgun teams. They were fun. They were back in 2nd gen Gd.
8/14/2019 4:16 AM
1234 Next ▸
Best/worst formations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.