Best/worst formations Topic

Back to the topic at hand.... lmao...

In Heisman, D2 Cheyney, I’m running almost exclusively WB and pro offensively and 3-4 on D. In fact, I have almost stopped using pro, so I’m considering doing away with the practice minutes for that.

Further, I’ve turned the bone into a passing force. Kind of on a fluke, I noticed something that sportsdouche was doing offensively in a playoff game a couple of seasons ago. He used it successfully against me that season, but I was able to use it successfully against him the next (last) season.

I know others have complained about certain unrealistic aspects of GD, this being one of them. I’m putting up some pretty unrealistic passing numbers. My QB, a junior, currently has more passing TDs than the next three QBs combined... not in my conference. In all of D2.

My top three receivers are the top three in all of D2. My top guy is on pace to beat the all-time record before the regular season is over. Of course, this will have been done against all sim teams.

But, yeah, turns out the bone is a great passing formation. I use a couple of RBs as receivers, I’m always on the lookout for recruits I can mold into good blocking FBs, and my TE is basically another lineman.

As to 3-4, I won’t go into great detail as far as my philosophy... but, yeah, I really like it. I never use anything else.

When I took over at Cheyney, I was using trips/pro and 3-4/nickel, but that was a huge waste of practice time. A few seasons ago, I decided to change to the bone, kept pro (but like I said, I hardly use it), and do away with trips and nickel.

Having only one formation each way also really allows you to recruit for THAT formation.

And i I won my first NC last season, and I think I’ve got a decent shot at it again this season. Having said that, I’ll probably get bounced in the second round.
12/18/2019 5:19 PM
Just won my first NC with all Nickel D in Yost d2. Thought i could do it when I switched from 3-4. Learned nuances as I used it. Like it now.
I am convinced you can win NC with ANY off and or def formation. You need to recruit the players for it and learn the nuances of setting up your game plans to see what works and what doesn't. My first NC was Pro and 5-2 + Nickel.
12/18/2019 6:50 PM (edited)
Posted by theRobHatfie on 12/18/2019 5:19:00 PM (view original):

In Heisman, D2 Cheyney, I’m running almost exclusively WB and pro offensively and 3-4 on D. In fact, I have almost stopped using pro, so I’m considering doing away with the practice minutes for that.

Further, I’ve turned the bone into a passing force. Kind of on a fluke, I noticed something that sportsdouche was doing offensively in a playoff game a couple of seasons ago. He used it successfully against me that season, but I was able to use it successfully against him the next (last) season.

I know others have complained about certain unrealistic aspects of GD, this being one of them. I’m putting up some pretty unrealistic passing numbers. My QB, a junior, currently has more passing TDs than the next three QBs combined... not in my conference. In all of D2.

My top three receivers are the top three in all of D2. My top guy is on pace to beat the all-time record before the regular season is over. Of course, this will have been done against all sim teams.

But, yeah, turns out the bone is a great passing formation. I use a couple of RBs as receivers, I’m always on the lookout for recruits I can mold into good blocking FBs, and my TE is basically another lineman.

As to 3-4, I won’t go into great detail as far as my philosophy... but, yeah, I really like it. I never use anything else.

When I took over at Cheyney, I was using trips/pro and 3-4/nickel, but that was a huge waste of practice time. A few seasons ago, I decided to change to the bone, kept pro (but like I said, I hardly use it), and do away with trips and nickel.

Having only one formation each way also really allows you to recruit for THAT formation.

And i I won my first NC last season, and I think I’ve got a decent shot at it again this season. Having said that, I’ll probably get bounced in the second round.
Hey congrats on the title!! That's awesome!!

I am looking at building a WB team but primarly as a running team. I am kinda getting into experiment mode with some other formations and trying different things!! I think I am going to try a WB with the 5-2 and Nickel D. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes!! As mojo just said, should be able to win with any formation as long as you have the players to utilize it!!

Mojo I may pick your brain on the nickel as it sounds interesting to try as a primary D!! And I know you have used it well!! And I will join you in the GLIAC in Warner next season and restart my shotgun experiment!!
12/18/2019 7:04 PM

Would Very Much like to have you join me SuperV !
12/18/2019 11:51 PM
Posted by holdaway on 12/16/2019 9:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nlewis_02 on 8/17/2019 10:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by holdaway on 8/17/2019 7:52:00 PM (view original):
Recent NC’s with Pro-Set/Trips and close....soooooooo close with Wishbone at D3 and D2 but certain people keep getting in my way......lol...

I am determined to Crack that nut....lol...
Funny how WIS doesn't have a system that requires coaches to move up to at least DII, instead of giving new coaches little to no chance of making a playoff run against teams with over 100 DIII (beginner mode) NC's....
I have tried to recruit people to GD but most are discouraged from staying with it.
There is only one 100+ NC coach period. He has teams in every world and has been playing a very, very long time. He has over 12000 games.

D3 is the starting point for all but moving up is not a requirement. Many coaches, myself included do not find the highest level of the game enjoyable. I play the levels I find enjoyable and that fit my time commitment levels. I consider this “the game” I like to play. I have played at every level. More successful at some certainly than others.

As for new coaches making a playoff run, it is possible, but you must have the highest vision(aka a team with multiple seasons of success) I believe to make a “long” run. Thus, the name is Gridiron Dynasty. Dynasty is not a term typically associated with one and done imho.

Funny how WIS made a game that has a learning curve and no cheat codes. I’m not sure how it has survived.
There's a couple 100+ you missed, Cebrake & Mcbethbr.
12/19/2019 7:40 AM
Now I feel bad I said anything, cause mcbethbr has been good to me in GD and when I started sim hockey
12/19/2019 7:50 AM
Posted by superv97 on 12/18/2019 7:04:00 PM (view original):

Hey congrats on the title!! That's awesome!!

I am looking at building a WB team but primarly as a running team. I am kinda getting into experiment mode with some other formations and trying different things!! I think I am going to try a WB with the 5-2 and Nickel D. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes!! As mojo just said, should be able to win with any formation as long as you have the players to utilize it!!

Mojo I may pick your brain on the nickel as it sounds interesting to try as a primary D!! And I know you have used it well!! And I will join you in the GLIAC in Warner next season and restart my shotgun experiment!!
Trust me, I had always had a very sound ground attack. But I never could TRULY get over the hump against other top teams. I made it to a couple of NC games, but I was usually knocked out in the third round every time. The third round was typically very unlucky for me lol. I seriously doubt I’d have won that NC if I hadn’t found how much of an advantage downfield passing gives me. We’re really airing it out lol.

My completion percentages are low, under 50%, and we throw more picks than I’d like. But the TDs. OMG.

I’m saying just remember this conversation. It may come in handy for you down the road.
12/19/2019 11:08 AM
Posted by mojolad on 12/18/2019 12:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagchucker on 12/17/2019 1:59:00 PM (view original):
that's Monte Conte with Mandy Pandy at the The Gentle Jungle getting a lap dance

about to get bounced

left his wallet at home

no cash no gash as they say
Bag, you are a dirty old man - like me :) .
So with that in mind , I am "begging" you to listen to this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSERIIOEgK0
beggage not necessary
12/20/2019 3:53 PM

Probably in my lifetime at all I would probably wont switch to any other than a Screaming defense 3-4 I don't sit my linebackers in coverage I rather use them to spy the qb and tell 2 crossing saftey's the play on 3rd down when I send the all out blitz with 1 saftey to hopefully stop passing and tip passes fumbles. I am running WishBone T and I too have recent success in the passing game. I have limit my wide core as much as possible to where I was putting 2 out and 3 leftover.
12/20/2019 4:01 PM

Probably in my lifetime at all I would probably wont switch to any other than a Screaming defense 3-4 I don't sit my linebackers in coverage I rather use them to spy the qb and tell 2 crossing saftey's the play on 3rd down when I send the all out blitz with 1 saftey to hopefully stop passing and tip passes fumbles. I am running WishBone T and I too have recent success in the passing game. I have limit my wide core as much as possible to where I was putting 2 out and 3 leftover.

This entire paragraph makes no sense whatsoever to anyone on the planet.

nitros

12/20/2019 4:25 PM
Posted by WardoYT on 12/20/2019 4:01:00 PM (view original):

What was just said here??????

See Nitros beat me to it
12/20/2019 4:26 PM
Posted by superv97 on 12/20/2019 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by WardoYT on 12/20/2019 4:01:00 PM (view original):

What was just said here??????

See Nitros beat me to it
As long as you say I don't care what I say and I rarely comment and I am not teaching a subject to this bystander. I have no problems in not replying to Nitros and or you don't know who you are. Mfynmeyers is the better coach and soundly probably is better.
12/20/2019 4:32 PM
I've been through 200 recruiting sessions and is around Youth football lots of the period I report only on Seniors of my Alma Mater who gets that chance because they put more effort into becoming a Basketball player and or football player. I am harshly thinking to get my level up is that I need 2-3 more classes to high school before middle school becomes slightly relevant. Not only that I am a yin piece collecting at 20:1 at 200 pieces "bronze" Every month. So I have no idea what you guys are trying to say.
12/20/2019 4:35 PM
I have been trying to understand him for awhile now with no success. I have thought that he is just ******* with us, speaking in tongues as he is. But have came to the conclusion that after playing six seasons with the same team in Div2 and not winning a SINGLE GAME that he is just an idiot.

or I could be wrong. You make the call
12/20/2019 5:04 PM
Oh and he is currently running Texas Lutheran into the ground as well with an 0-9 record. Again your guys call, but I'm going with idiot.
12/20/2019 5:09 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Best/worst formations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.