Round 1 Sound Off Thread, 2019 Topic

Posted by Jtpsops on 8/25/2019 7:12:00 PM (view original):
First schwarze in two years in the PM2 games
Rigged..
8/25/2019 7:30 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 8/25/2019 4:31:00 PM (view original):
There's always that fine line between fatigue and too much fatigue. We all pretty much cut it close...a little luck, a good crop of parks to play in can make all the difference. ..here we are, near the 1/6th mark, a couple of wins is the difference between 20th and 40th.

Crash Davis had a good explanation of the difference between hitting .250 and .300...a dink, a gork, 1 seeing eyed grounder a week...just one more dying quail a week, and you're in Yankee Stadium...
This is why five tool guys are so valuable. Their performance isn't solely tied to the whims of the hitting Gods.
8/26/2019 6:55 AM
I started 10-20 overall and thought it would be a very rough start. Then I played near a .700 clip for awhile and peaked at 4 games over. Then a .500 stretch for quite awhile. But alas, I seem to be slipping further under .500 lately. A couple teams have semi serious fatigue, but it's not a real reason for most of it. Time to break out the secret weapon....if I just had one.
8/26/2019 8:43 AM
$70M staff has 1 pitcher over 93% & the next game won't be much better...
8/26/2019 12:16 PM
I would argue that almost my whole $90 million lineup - aside from Brouthers - is underperforming, but my '52 Valo really takes the cake. Through 137 PAs, he has a triple slash of .138/.213/.154.
8/26/2019 1:24 PM
Posted by schwarze on 8/25/2019 1:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by NebHusker on 8/24/2019 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Okay enough of the good, bad & ugly posts. I'll just say much like milest points out, things are slowly trending to the ugly side.

Did schwarze get shot out of a canon or something??? He is flying up the charts faster than the Beatles in the 60's.
...trying to stay quietly under the radar...
Well, it was a really nice run. Got as high as third place overall. Then this afternoon's 1-5 included the following four losses...

70M - Lose 4-2, Early Wynn giving up 2-run HR to Bob Geren in the 9th (Wynn allowed 1 actual HR in 45 real life innings that season)
90M - Lose 6-5, giving up 2-out RBI double in 9th to force extra innings, then lose in 11th (I had 10 players reach base in innings 8-11 and didn't score)
100M - Lose 7-6, after being up 6-4 with 2 outs and nobody on in 9th... walk, single, walk, single, single, lose 7-6.
130M - Lose 3-2, giving up two in 8th and one in 12th (we had 1st/3rd, no outs in 10th and failed to score)

8/26/2019 2:03 PM
Why is the sim so biased against you?
8/26/2019 2:16 PM
Posted by redcped on 8/26/2019 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Why is the sim so biased against you?
Would that be considered a "reverse-jtpsops" ???
8/26/2019 3:04 PM
So far my worst team has been the variable cap team that I thought would be best. Having only 1400 IP/162 has been fine - basically everyone is at 100 and I haven't had anyone pitch under 90%. The problem is that the pitchers haven't been very good.

The team was built around 8 lights out relievers (Kimbrel, Jansen, Miller etc), and they have collectively been awful. Between them the 8 pitchers have thrown 125.2 IP for a record of 3-13, 5.02 ERA, 1.42 WHIP. They've also given up a few home runs (1 every 7 innings) though that was sort of expected; it's the cost of modern relievers. But I did not think that they would be running a WHIP almost double their real-life rate. If this doesn't turn around it will be a painful learning experience.
8/26/2019 4:37 PM
I've rarely had luck with modern day relievers. I don't know if it's their low IP/G (I usually set them on 10/15) or some other reason. I almost always go with short-inning starters, guys like Nick Maddox and Johnny NIggeling.
8/26/2019 5:09 PM
Posted by schwarze on 8/26/2019 5:09:00 PM (view original):
I've rarely had luck with modern day relievers. I don't know if it's their low IP/G (I usually set them on 10/15) or some other reason. I almost always go with short-inning starters, guys like Nick Maddox and Johnny NIggeling.
Of all the things I would fix about the current SIM engine, there are two that rise to the top of the list:
(1) The in-game fatigue model; all pitchers fatigue too quickly, but it's especially pernicious with modern relievers. Modern relief usage is predicated upon the assumption that the first 15-20 pitches a pitcher throws will be better than the next 15-20, etc. So a lot of modern relievers end up with IP/G that reflects that. They "could" throw 30, 40, 50 pitches, but their effectiveness starts to decline after 20. WIS's algorithm takes their average IP/G as their MAX, and starts fatiguing them too soon. A guy with 0.67 IP/G starts fatiguing after like 5 pitches, which is just silly.
(2) The log 5 normalization for HR gives way way way too much advantage to deadball pitchers. And penalizes modern HR hitters way too much. In my opinion, a modern SP who gives up 0.4 HR/9 is much much better at preventing HR than a deadball era pitcher who allowed 0.1 HR/9. In WIS that is not the case.
8/26/2019 5:40 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 8/26/2019 5:41:00 PM (view original):
Of all the things I would fix about the current SIM engine, there are two that rise to the top of the list:
(1) The in-game fatigue model; all pitchers fatigue too quickly, but it's especially pernicious with modern relievers. Modern relief usage is predicated upon the assumption that the first 15-20 pitches a pitcher throws will be better than the next 15-20, etc. So a lot of modern relievers end up with IP/G that reflects that. They "could" throw 30, 40, 50 pitches, but their effectiveness starts to decline after 20. WIS's algorithm takes their average IP/G as their MAX, and starts fatiguing them too soon. A guy with 0.67 IP/G starts fatiguing after like 5 pitches, which is just silly.
(2) The log 5 normalization for HR gives way way way too much advantage to deadball pitchers. And penalizes modern HR hitters way too much. In my opinion, a modern SP who gives up 0.4 HR/9 is much much better at preventing HR than a deadball era pitcher who allowed 0.1 HR/9. In WIS that is not the case.
(1) Agreed... always bothered me that avg IP/G is treated as MAX by the WIS engine.
(2) The issue here is that the engine puts too much weight on the absolute stats (with respect to HR/9) and not enough on HR/9+ or other advanced stats that attempt to normalize for the era that a pitcher pitched in. For instance, 1994 Greg Maddux with a HR/9 of 0.18 and a HR/9+ of 539 should be almost as good (if not better) at suppressing HRs as 1919 Babe Adams with a HR/9 of 0.03 and a HR/9+ of 539. Unfortunately, Maddux tends to give up anywhere between 2 and 3 x as many HRs. WIS normalizes hitters far better than it does for pitchers, which is why deadballers rule and HR hitters suck.
8/26/2019 5:57 PM (edited)
14 inning game in the $70m league. 27.3 (more than 3 whole games) more IP than league avg for the season. It just keeps getting worse and worse. I'll be trying to eat innings with dudes below 90% fatigue soon. I'll never draft this few IP again, even if I win the WS in that league it's just not fun.

If I can get by with only using 2 pitchers in the AM games, I'll have have 2 pitchers for the PM game at 98 & 95%... After that, it looks pretty bleak. I'm in 1st place in my division right now & if there was a way to just quit a league, I'd do it.
8/26/2019 8:27 PM (edited)
I should double check how many pitches those guys have ended up throwing. It isn't that many - I have most of them on 10-15 limits. But maybe even that is too high, and I've gotten burned by in game fatigue.
8/26/2019 8:48 PM
I'm still a rookie technically, but most of my success has been based on modern pitching vs deadball hitters. Most of the leagues I play in- owners use high avg old-school hitters AND deadball pitchers. I also use high avg hitters, but I typically use modern pitchers with lower OAV# bc, well, in my mind, it just makes sense. When my opponents are using high avg, low BB, low HR hitters--- Using deadball pitchers with a higher OAV# compared to modern pitchers doesn't make sense to me. My career sample size is small, but my record is pretty good. I've had modern relievers under-perform on occasion, but it works out more times than not.
8/27/2019 2:51 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...24 Next ▸
Round 1 Sound Off Thread, 2019 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.