What May Chase Me From GD Topic

Listen. I know it's within the rules. But when I see and have to go up against teams recruiting 40-50 scholarships , I admit I am intimidated. Obviously if you have a "normal" number of scholarships you have no chance to battle against that kind of scholarship money.
Teams like that just sweep up all the best recruits because no one that knows what they are doing will battle that team. You just pick up the best crumbs that are left over.
This is just something I find a major flaw in this game. Legal or not I don't want to face it. When I run into this I usually just let my team go at season end.
Thanks for listening !
8/18/2019 5:45 PM
I took over Valdosta St. in Rockne and only stayed one season after seeing the Morehouse 50 man Jr..class.
8/18/2019 5:58 PM
Yup. That's what I walked into when taking over Champ83's excellent Ferris State in Rockne. Then I saw who he lost to. Sure enough Morehouse.
I know it's legal. But I just don't like the feeling I don't have a chance to compete with them.
8/18/2019 6:06 PM
I haven't had to face it yet. A few thoughts.

It only has a chance to work at the lower divisions. He tried it in Div1A and failed miserably.

He's been at Morehouse for 23 seasons and won 4 championships. He just beat bigpoppa in the finals, who's been in that league for 21 seasons, and won 9 championships. The game wasn't a blowout. The yardage gained was the same. The next couple of years bigpoppa will throw up 100+ points on him.

He's a slave to random luck. Every year the talent pool in a recruiting class is different. One year the top DB in the class would be the 12th rank DB the next year. So his 'super' class might not be all that super.

I would rather compete for a championship every year like robust or poppa than be a one trick pony. Different strokes I guess.
8/18/2019 7:04 PM
He usually is Very Strong in Jr Year and invinceable in Sr.
8/18/2019 8:01 PM
You have to learn how to work around players like that. In his off years, raid his area for the best players. It all evens out.
8/18/2019 9:51 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
As someone has created a large recruiting class I would like to throw out something. I understand that when my bankroll is north of $200k going up against me can be extremely difficult. The team I run with this method is Northern State. This last recruitment cycle I had 2 recruits within 100 miles, less than 20 within 180 and less than 50 within 250 miles. This season I put 14 RBs in my list to consider. 8 of those were more than 1000 miles away. I had 1 less than 200 miles then the rest were 500+ miles or more away. Of the 15 O-lineman I listed 7 were 1000+ miles away. 2 were 900+ miles away while the 2 closest were 200+ miles. My LB list had 10 of 18 located more than 1000 miles away. The closest was still more than 300 miles away. I can usually expect 60%+ recruits I target will be 1000+ miles away. Now I understand the reasoning for this is based on actual population. Reality but the fact is this game has nothing to do with realism so it would be nice if WIS would more evenly distributed recruits . Since that won’t happen I need a large payroll to complete. Without the large payroll when I find the 1 or 2 recruits near me that I can get excited about other coaches who can sign many recruits close to their schools still have the funds to reach into my 200 miles. I could probably name 10 ways the rules should be changed to make the game fairer for everyone but not everyone would agree to some or all of those ideas. This is the game we have so especially if you are won who has monopolized the National Championship let us have a chance to get the players that will give us a slim chance to complete with you.
8/19/2019 9:01 PM
mojolad, you are a fixture. I don't believe you are going anywhere.

You stuck it out through the very worst, and I bailed three times. When I came back, you were here.

If you can win an NC two years out of four, take it. Plan your classes to be weak when he is strong. Maybe win three of four.

I think that method of recruiting is stupid. If I want ten OL, taking the top two or three over four seasons gives me a better set of OL than taking the top ten, I am competing with myself, and not winning if I try to get ten.

But don't tell him that.
8/19/2019 10:05 PM
Badaxe, I was never here. I'm not here now. It is just a figment of your imagination:
8/20/2019 10:11 AM (edited)
Posted by bigpoppa85 on 8/19/2019 5:12:00 PM (view original):
I have went back and forth on this issue. On one hand, I love running experiments. So, I like to see not only how my experiments work out but also others. On the other, I like realism. I played this game when it was Run 100% of the time and it was annoying as hell. Now they've balanced the game out and actually made the gameplay realistic in my opinion. But, extreme roster stacking is definitely not what you see in real life.

While I commend the coaches that have tried the extreme roster stacking (and I am glad they did it), I do think the developers should step in and implement more roster rules similar to what they have done with capping the number of redshirts in a season, giving extra penalties for RS'ing upper classmen etc. Take it a step farther and maybe limit it to a max of 25 for every two seasons. In this case, people could stack 25 JR's and 25 FR if they wanted (or however they wanted...could be 13/12/13/12). But they couldn't do 50 SR's or 25 SRs and 25 JRs. To me, this gives the coaches room to experiment and try fun things (even though it's still not realistic) but also even out the game for people that want to treat this like a sim, which is most of their customer base.

also, I fully understand the thought process but it drives me crazy when the coaches that stack their classes won’t play anyone good their “down years”. I feel like it’s only fair to get revenge on the field after having a huge numbers advantage in recruiting. I know they want to try to keep their vision high...but I consider it gutless. Just my opinion of course.
Just to be fair.......Morehouse absolutely curb stomped me in a on conference game this season with his super class but he did accept my game for next season when he will have a roster full of freshmen.
8/25/2019 9:59 PM
And that's the key. Players who play with large classes have success in cycles. And if you know their cycles, you can take advantage of them.
8/25/2019 11:26 PM
Posted by badaxe on 8/19/2019 10:05:00 PM (view original):
mojolad, you are a fixture. I don't believe you are going anywhere.

You stuck it out through the very worst, and I bailed three times. When I came back, you were here.

If you can win an NC two years out of four, take it. Plan your classes to be weak when he is strong. Maybe win three of four.

I think that method of recruiting is stupid. If I want ten OL, taking the top two or three over four seasons gives me a better set of OL than taking the top ten, I am competing with myself, and not winning if I try to get ten.

But don't tell him that.
" If I want ten OL, taking the top two or three over four seasons gives me a better set of OL than taking the top ten, I am competing with myself, and not winning if I try to get ten."

I can see why you'd think that, but there is a reason this strategy has worked. I'll use GUESS ratings (and give a couple clicks) to show why it's more effective.

The 10th best D2 SR OL: 74.24
The 3rd best D2 FR OL: 64.24

Now, imagine a whole roster of SRs.

Morehouse D2 Roster rating (with 47 seniors): 89.55
#2 rated roster in D2: 77.60

And these are just ratings. The effect of having 47 Seniors with the crazy high formation IQ is another HUGE advantage. It's literally unstoppable unless the coach has no idea how to play this game. If a coach goes through all the hoops of creating this type of roster, he likely knows what he's doing. In the case of Morehouse Rockne, SD ( I always feel like I'm disparaging him if I spell out his user name lol) is a great coach. Combining coaching skills with a roster like that...it's a steep challenge! ;)
8/26/2019 11:22 AM (edited)
Damn Right BigPoppa. When they are Jr's they are pretty unstoppable. By Seniors you just try and limit the spanking you are gonna get.
8/26/2019 9:20 PM
The DIII title in Rockne just went to another "coach" with a team like this.

I mean, if these guys are going to intentially blow the cost of a few seasons just to line up a chance at a title in the most unrealistic and laziest way possible, maybe SportsHub should start offering $20 "championship" certificates they can hang on their wall and save them time and money, and save the rest of us from having to deal with them.
9/21/2019 4:13 PM
123 Next ▸
What May Chase Me From GD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.