FB/Press overpowered? Topic

I just lost to a team poor defensively, not really good in offense, 77 overall stam, I thought it was an easy W. I shot .537 so scoring 82 going slowdown worked... But, he scored 90 uptempo, on my 74 overall defense (D2). What am I missing?
8/19/2019 8:31 AM
Speed. Press wins with turnovers. Especially into the bench, they had a significant speed advantage, and your bench couldn’t hold onto the ball and lost a lot of possessions. 9 upperclassmen helps, too.
8/19/2019 9:37 AM
You probably need to scout better. That team runs triangle not FB
8/19/2019 9:54 AM
"<insert offense/defense> is over powered"
8/19/2019 9:57 AM
That team also has solid ball skills. And with triangle offense, that can be lethal. The combo of passing and perimeter with triangle is hard to beat if they are elite
8/19/2019 10:21 AM
pretty funny about them being triangle.

that aside, 8 turnover gap is a lot - that is pretty non trivial to overcome. any decent press team is just a lot harder to be really heavy % favorites against, just because you have those turnovers to fend off, and the added potential volatility of press.

whats kinda funny about this game is the guy should have ran a -3 or -5 and yet he ran a -1, and then somehow despite hardly taking any 3s all year, your guys made 7 at a 47% clip. pretty crazy you'd have that going for you and still lose. your advantage on the boards ended up being minor with you guys scoring so well, and FT luck cost you almost 4 points. the fg% gap also is clearly too low given your team's excellent defense. all in all, they aren't a bad team by any means, and when you have heavy TOs and on top a couple unlucky areas like FTs and them shooting 51%, its just a tough thing to overcome.

i would suggest building a bit more balanced of a team next time, you have some ridiculous defense but seem to have gave up other skills to get it. once you are good at everything, or maybe great, then defense becomes by far the most valuable thing to continue to get better at. but defense is funny like that, when you are mediocre at everything, it might be the least important thing to be good at (not saying you are - just saying defense only hits its peak relative marginal value after you've already got strong skills elsewhere). so with you having weak 3 point shooting and so-so guard skills, ideally you'd have shifted some of that amazing defensive talent to other areas. i know that is easier said than done, maybe you didn't have the options recruiting wise - just something to consider. not sure if you put that guard on +2 for the NT, kinda looks like it - if not, that is a must.
8/19/2019 11:19 AM
Posted by Benis on 8/19/2019 9:54:00 AM (view original):
You probably need to scout better. That team runs triangle not FB
I was sure, he was FB. Kinda even more strange, he scores with not that good scoring team.
8/19/2019 12:58 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2019 11:20:00 AM (view original):
pretty funny about them being triangle.

that aside, 8 turnover gap is a lot - that is pretty non trivial to overcome. any decent press team is just a lot harder to be really heavy % favorites against, just because you have those turnovers to fend off, and the added potential volatility of press.

whats kinda funny about this game is the guy should have ran a -3 or -5 and yet he ran a -1, and then somehow despite hardly taking any 3s all year, your guys made 7 at a 47% clip. pretty crazy you'd have that going for you and still lose. your advantage on the boards ended up being minor with you guys scoring so well, and FT luck cost you almost 4 points. the fg% gap also is clearly too low given your team's excellent defense. all in all, they aren't a bad team by any means, and when you have heavy TOs and on top a couple unlucky areas like FTs and them shooting 51%, its just a tough thing to overcome.

i would suggest building a bit more balanced of a team next time, you have some ridiculous defense but seem to have gave up other skills to get it. once you are good at everything, or maybe great, then defense becomes by far the most valuable thing to continue to get better at. but defense is funny like that, when you are mediocre at everything, it might be the least important thing to be good at (not saying you are - just saying defense only hits its peak relative marginal value after you've already got strong skills elsewhere). so with you having weak 3 point shooting and so-so guard skills, ideally you'd have shifted some of that amazing defensive talent to other areas. i know that is easier said than done, maybe you didn't have the options recruiting wise - just something to consider. not sure if you put that guard on +2 for the NT, kinda looks like it - if not, that is a must.
Still that’s not a good team we faced. I know we aren’t balanced but I have trouble getting scoring guards in NY.
8/19/2019 12:59 PM
“Still that’s not a good team we faced.”

That team was 12-2 against top 50 RPI teams. That’s a good team. They were ranked higher, seeded higher, and favored to win. I’m struggling to understand what made you think this should have been an easy win for you. There are other ways to build good teams, besides elite ath/def. This team has found one.
8/19/2019 1:21 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 8/19/2019 1:21:00 PM (view original):

That team was 12-2 against top 50 RPI teams. That’s a good team. They were ranked higher, seeded higher, and favored to win. I’m struggling to understand what made you think this should have been an easy win for you. There are other ways to build good teams, besides elite ath/def. This team has found one.
Well, it’s not good offensively either. This is why I thought I would win. Uptempo seem a killer for them.
8/19/2019 1:42 PM
Posted by zorzii on 8/19/2019 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 8/19/2019 1:21:00 PM (view original):

Well, it’s not good offensively either. This is why I thought I would win. Uptempo seem a killer for them.
The 4th highest scoring D2 team in the country is not good offensively... ?

I’m not sure if you mean playing uptempo all season is helping or hurting them, but honestly I don’t think it matters all that much. They’re winning because they are averaging -8.2 for turnovers on the year, and that’s where they got you.
8/19/2019 1:59 PM
It doesn't really matter what your defense is if they are scoring those points on the turnover from the press. Your defense matters much more when set after a scoring possession. Also, shot % looks great, but you were -14 from the line. He went to the FT line 38 times. As has been stated, speed was the difference maker, and Hawaii exploited that speed advantage through an uptempo offense in combination with the press.
8/20/2019 4:46 PM
Posted by zorzii on 8/19/2019 8:31:00 AM (view original):
I just lost to a team poor defensively, not really good in offense, 77 overall stam, I thought it was an easy W. I shot .537 so scoring 82 going slowdown worked... But, he scored 90 uptempo, on my 74 overall defense (D2). What am I missing?
if it's overpowered then why wouldn't you run it? Duh.
8/20/2019 5:05 PM
They scored 14 of those points in the last 2 minutes when you were fouling them.

They had 15 steals against your team, therefore it probably resulted in a lot of transition fouls for your team and points for their team.

Your team speed is terrible.

If you want, I can give you a few lessons on coaching.
8/20/2019 5:16 PM
12 Next ▸
FB/Press overpowered? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.