Promising PT or Starts Topic

I've used this as a recruiting tool, but how much does it really help? I've heard most of recruiting is based on dollars spent (don't know if this is truly accurate). What I have noticed is when I promise PT or Starts and follow thru with them it seems like those player's WE jumps up more than others. Is this accurate or just a figment of my imagination.

If this is fact, why wouldn't I promise more kids that I knew I can follow thru on?
8/20/2019 11:32 PM
1. Yes, they are very valuable.
2. If you offer a freshman start, you better not redshirt him. And you better make sure he gets enough playing time to get credit for a start.
3. If you offer playing time, but redshirt him, he will not lose work ethic.

So, I always redshirt my QB's. And I usually offer them playing time when I recruit them, knowing that it will only help get them to sign, with no negatives. Same with any other high level player that I know I will redshirt.
8/20/2019 11:53 PM (edited)
Posted by powercatryan on 8/20/2019 11:32:00 PM (view original):
I've used this as a recruiting tool, but how much does it really help? I've heard most of recruiting is based on dollars spent (don't know if this is truly accurate). What I have noticed is when I promise PT or Starts and follow thru with them it seems like those player's WE jumps up more than others. Is this accurate or just a figment of my imagination.

If this is fact, why wouldn't I promise more kids that I knew I can follow thru on?
"recruiting is based on dollars spent" is inaccurate, it should read "recruiting is based on effort (aka attention)" IE, I can be real close to a recruit and he comes to campus for 5 visits - costing me me roughly $4000 and you can live across the country and he visits your campus 3 times costing you roughly $6000. You spent more money on him but I gave him more attention. It's the attention that matters.
8/21/2019 12:13 AM
One other plus of PT and starts is the cost doesn't vary with distance. When you're trying to lock down a recruit 1000m away, it's nice to be able to get a recruiting boost for as little as $100.
8/21/2019 12:21 AM
So, BJ, when you offer playing time, don't redshirt him and they don't get the promised time, what does that do to their WE?
8/21/2019 5:09 PM
After the 3rd game or so, their WE will plummet and you'll get a nasty message.
8/21/2019 5:57 PM
That's a great find. It helped me land a DB I've been working hard for this cycle. Already had him earmarked for a RS season if I got him.
8/21/2019 6:25 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 8/20/2019 11:53:00 PM (view original):
2. If you offer a freshman start, you better not redshirt him. And you better make sure he gets enough playing time to get credit for a start.

So, I always redshirt my QB's. And I usually offer them playing time when I recruit them, knowing that it will only help get them to sign, with no negatives. Same with any other high level player that I know I will redshirt.

If you offer a start but redshirt the player. The majority of the time the player is OK with it. ( the player will send a note saying, saving a year of eligibility is the smart thing to do. See you on the practice field )
If you offer playing time to the player but redshirt the player. The player will always get POd and lose WE. ( the player will send a note saying that you lied to me about playing time,I can't trust you, Other players are laughing at me).
If you offer a start and playing time. You had better play the player as a starter and give him at least the amount of time offered to him or more as to register the start.
8/22/2019 1:01 PM
Fermor, send me a sitemail giving me an address to send a JPEG to. I took a picture of a QB's player card that I offered 75% PT to, redshirted him, and he did not lose work ethic. You can see all that on the player card JPEG.
8/22/2019 1:13 PM
Posted by fermor332002 on 8/22/2019 1:01:00 PM (view original):

If you offer a start but redshirt the player. The majority of the time the player is OK with it. ( the player will send a note saying, saving a year of eligibility is the smart thing to do. See you on the practice field )
If you offer playing time to the player but redshirt the player. The player will always get POd and lose WE. ( the player will send a note saying that you lied to me about playing time,I can't trust you, Other players are laughing at me).
If you offer a start and playing time. You had better play the player as a starter and give him at least the amount of time offered to him or more as to register the start.
I promised a QB a sophmore starting spot when heelboy turned him yellow, on the second last cycle before signing started (which is why I lose sleep to check every 3 hour cycle during recruiting). I signed him, with the expectation I wouldn't be able to get an extra season out of him. I don't want to risk it, given he's a great QB with very high potential and GPA. However I'm curious for the future... are you saying there will be no loss of WE if I redshirt him and start him in his 3rd (SO*) season?
I'll have to try that with my DIII guinea pig team, cause their only for my experimental ideas anyway...
8/22/2019 1:17 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 8/22/2019 1:13:00 PM (view original):
Fermor, send me a sitemail giving me an address to send a JPEG to. I took a picture of a QB's player card that I offered 75% PT to, redshirted him, and he did not lose work ethic. You can see all that on the player card JPEG.
That has been my experience as well...offer PT and slap a redshirt on him, no problem.
8/22/2019 2:03 PM
I think fermor has it backwards.
8/22/2019 2:11 PM
Yeah, I think this is common knowledge now so here you go:

1. If you promise FR Start and fail to start the player (you have two "grace" games) throughout the season (e.g. a qualified start each game) then you you have problems.
2. If you promise PT and do not redshirt and fail to always maintain the PT %, then you will have problems. This is an aggregate % so you can stash away a high % and then reduce PT later in the season for example.
3. If you promise a SO Start and fail to start their second year (regardless of redshirt), then you have problems.
4. If you promise a SO Start and PT and redshirt, then the SO Start survives but the PT goes away (read that again).
5. If you promise PT and get any % greater than 0 but less than the promised % then you will have problems (read that again for the nuance).

Good luck.

nitros
8/22/2019 2:19 PM
Posted by nlewis_02 on 8/22/2019 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fermor332002 on 8/22/2019 1:01:00 PM (view original):

I promised a QB a sophmore starting spot when heelboy turned him yellow, on the second last cycle before signing started (which is why I lose sleep to check every 3 hour cycle during recruiting). I signed him, with the expectation I wouldn't be able to get an extra season out of him. I don't want to risk it, given he's a great QB with very high potential and GPA. However I'm curious for the future... are you saying there will be no loss of WE if I redshirt him and start him in his 3rd (SO*) season?
I'll have to try that with my DIII guinea pig team, cause their only for my experimental ideas anyway...
"which is why I lose sleep to check every 3 hour cycle during recruiting". No need to ck recruiting every three hours and more importantly, get more sleep by using this recruiting cycle checking method:

Just prior to the end of a recruiting cycle check your recruiting results from the previous cycle then do some recruiting for the current cycle. Then wait a few minutes for the cycle to roll over at the top of the hour and check your new results and do your recruiting for that cycle. Then sleep for the rest of those 3 hours and sleep for the majority of the next three hours before getting up again just prior to end of that cycle - rinse, repeat.

IE let's say your timezone means the recruiting cycle starts at 1 am (it's actually more like 10 minutes after the hour but we'll just use the top of the hour).

Recruiting starts at 1 am (recruit list shows which schools recruits are considering or if they're undecided)
12 hours later at 1 pm you can send recruiting efforts to recruits (cycle 1)
24 hours later at 1 pm - cycle 1 results arrive. (ck cycle 1 results and do cycle 2 recruiting)

4:00 pm - cycle 2 results arrive

6:45 pm ck cycle 2 results and do cycle 3 recruiting
7:10 pm ck cycle 3 results and do cycle 4 recruiting - go to sleep)

10:00 pm - cycle 4 results arrive

12:45 am ck cycle 4 results and do cycle 5 recruiting
1:10 am ck cycle 5 results and do cycle 6 recruiting - go to sleep)

4:00 am - cycle 6 results arrive

6:45 am ck cycle 6 results and do cycle 7 recruiting
7:10 am ck cycle 7 results and do cycle 8 recruiting - go to sleep)

10:00 am - cycle 8 results arrive

12:45 pm ck cycle 8 results and do cycle 9 recruiting
1:10 pm ck cycle 9 results and do cycle 10 recruiting)

Rinse, repeat
8/22/2019 2:54 PM
I already do as you suggested and try to maximize my sleep. I also usually have my targeted recruits green by cycle 4.
The one night that I wake up to check my summary is the last few cycles before signings start. I do this because I've had my best targeted recruits turned red, within 9 hours of signing in the past. I've also stolen them late. We all hate losing a great recruit!
My boss told me on Wednesday "Take tomorrow off. You look like **** every 4th Thursday, from your college fantasy fuckery" He's in my NFL fantasy league, so he gets it, haha
8/22/2019 3:55 PM
123 Next ▸
Promising PT or Starts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.