Cooperstown Hist.Replay 1993 - Expansion - Full Topic

Thanks contrarian23 for creating the concept!

This league attempts to replay each major league season as closely as possible. We started in 1980 and are finishing up the 1992 season. We need a couple of replacement owners to join us for 1993.

The number one thing to understand about this league is that we use the actual rosters from WIS with no variation. This means we do not allow free agents, twists, SIM-generated AAA, or anything else. You get the guys in the WIS database who played for your team, and that's it. And yes, that means each season there is a chance you are going to get a team that is going to suck, and there will not be much that you can do about it. Hey, someone’s going to end up managing the 2003 Tigers.

Here’s how we’re going to do this:
  1. We use the actual divisional alignment that MLB used, each season.
  2. That means 4 playoff teams each season - the four division winners - exactly as MLB did during those years. When MLB expanded its playoffs and realigned its divisions (in 1994) we will do the same.
  3. Each owner drafts 1 team from the respective season. Obviously teams are exclusive and no duplicate teams are allowed.
  4. Once you have chosen your team, you will go into the draft center and enter your actual players from that season. You can use the “load historical team” feature if you want…this is often the easiest and cleanest way to build your roster, but it’s not infallible. Occasionally players are missed when you load a team that way. If you prefer to draft your players individually, keep in mind that:
    1. For players who were traded or otherwise appeared for multiple teams in a single season, you MUST use the partial-season version of that player. If the player did not get enough PA or IP with your team to warrant a partial-season version then you cannot use him. NO COMBINED VERSIONS OF PLAYERS MAY BE USED.
    2. All players who played for your team in real life, and are in the WIS database, must be on your roster.
    3. Only players who played for your team in real life may be used in games. If you do not have 25 players in the database (unlikely in this era, but just in case), you will draft additional $200,000 players from the database (from any WIS season) to fill out your roster, but these players MUST:
      1. Be manually set to rest at all times
      2. Be manually removed from your player rest, defensive replacement, and PH hierarchies.
    4. In other words, these non-roster players may not be used in games, unless WIS slots them in because of some sort of emergency, and owners should take every possible step to ensure that doesn’t happen.
    5. If you team is short of PA or IP, even very short. So be it.
  5. In most seasons, most teams have MORE than 25 eligible players, we use “draft your own” AAA with the following parameters
    1. Each season, the theme rules will be set for a number of AAA players sufficient to allow the team with the largest real-life roster enough slots to incorporate all of their players.
    2. Teams that have more than 25 players in the WIS database will draft these additional players into AAA slots. These players MAY be used in games, and the transaction deadline will be set as late as possible to allow for roster moves throughout the season.
    3. Teams with unfilled AAA slots can either draft your own $200K players to fill the AAA slots, or just let WIS fill those slots with random AAA players, but in either case, those players MAY NOT be used in games. They should remain in AAA the entire season.
    4. Again, the purpose of AAA is to include as many real-life players as possible; no SIM-generated AAA players should ever be used in games in this league.
  6. By all means, do your best to win as many games as you can with the players you have! This is important for several reasons, including…
  7. …This is NOT a keeper league. Each season we will redraft from the pool of available teams following a draft lottery. The lottery is much like the NBA lottery; we will draw ping pong balls for the top 3 picks and then the remaining picks will be awarded according to lottery order. Owners whose teams most overachieve in the current season will receive the highest number of ping pong balls for the lottery. “Overachievement” will be defined as “greatest relative improvement in winning percentage.” Or for those who prefer a formula: (WIS winning percentage – MLB winning percentage)/MLB winning percentage. So, if you get stuck with a terrible team in year 1, fear not. If you can win a few more games than they did in real life, you’re probably in great shape to draw a better team in season 2. If, because of owner turnover, we have new owners in the league, they will draft last in their first season (we will use random.org to generate the order for new owners if there are more than one in any given season.)
  8. There will be real drafting strategy here. Do you pick the best remaining team available when it’s your turn? Or the team with the greatest possibility of improving on their real-life record? And obviously there is no benefit - EVER - to tanking. Losing never improves your draft position, and winning never harms it.
  9. Obviously we are not allowing trades or waiver wire here. We use the DH in the AL of course.
9/4/2019 11:48 AM (edited)
Returning Owners:

1. eddiedzen
2. kstober
3. jkorn
4. redcped
5. tywebb3
6. Chisock
7. jpeterso
8. dippedncrack
9. contrarian23
10. ff09
11. odalisgagne
12. mfumar
13. MrSafety61
14. mensu1954
15. NebHusker
16. jfranco77
17. loyalcanuck
18. cstrohmier
19. specsman
20. ceez
21. brianjw
22. tigerfan2010
23. Peekay
24. fire13

New Owners:
1. Buckner22
2. Bradsher
3. normy17
4. joerat1
9/9/2019 1:20 PM (edited)
res
9/4/2019 11:45 AM
res
9/4/2019 11:45 AM
MrSafety61 helpfully pointed out in the league chat that there are two expansion franchises (Col & Fla) in 1993 so we will need two more owners to get us to 28.
9/4/2019 7:03 PM
If there is a spot, I'd like to join.
9/5/2019 1:44 AM
Posted by Bradsher on 9/5/2019 1:44:00 AM (view original):
If there is a spot, I'd like to join.
You're in Bradsher - I'll give you access to the private forum.
9/5/2019 10:58 AM
Need 2
9/6/2019 8:02 AM
Seriously, this is such a fun league. And 1993 was quite a year! Get a front-row seat to that great NL West race, where San Fran won 103 games but still couldn't catch the Braves. What will happen in the SIM? Join us and find out!
9/6/2019 2:30 PM
I'm in if you'll have me.
9/8/2019 8:17 PM
Need 1
9/9/2019 6:38 AM
If there is an opening count me in
9/9/2019 12:19 PM
Posted by joerat1 on 9/9/2019 12:19:00 PM (view original):
If there is an opening count me in
thanks joerat1 - you're in. I'll get you access to the private forum. Season 1992 ends tonight so the lottery standings and draft info should be posted later tonight.
9/9/2019 1:17 PM
I am sure someone is going to be checking all rosters, but please take a good luck at my Jays. I could only find one player in the SIM database to add as a AAA guy. Just want to make sure I did it right. Thanks.
9/15/2019 10:00 PM
Posted by tigerfan2010 on 9/15/2019 10:00:00 PM (view original):
I am sure someone is going to be checking all rosters, but please take a good luck at my Jays. I could only find one player in the SIM database to add as a AAA guy. Just want to make sure I did it right. Thanks.
I see 15 eligible hitters and 12 pitchers, so I feel like you should have 2 AAA guys.
9/16/2019 12:15 AM
12 Next ▸
Cooperstown Hist.Replay 1993 - Expansion - Full Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.