I went to the LA Dodgers game yesterday and noticed that the Dodgers utilized a defensive shift on some left handed hitting Rockies. However 3B, Justin Turner played behind 2B and SS, Corey Seager played the left side of the infield by himself shifting more towards 3B and in. Here’s my question - If the batter hit a ground ball to either Turner or Seager and was then thrown out at first, how would the out be recorded?
9/5/2019 12:47 AM

the assigned position on the card gets the credit
9/5/2019 10:18 AM
If he grounded out to Seager, it’d still be a groundout to SS, no matter where Seager is positioned on the field. He could be on top of 3rd base, or in shallow CF. But he’s listed as the SS on the score card, so it’d be a groundout to SS. Same with Turner.
9/5/2019 10:39 AM
So basically, that means that you could swap your OF’s and IF’s and then a groundout, SS to 1B, could be recorded as 8-3 if my CF is playing a normal SS location because he’s listed as CF on the lineup card?
9/5/2019 11:14 AM
Conversely, a flyout to LF would be recorded as F-5 because my 3B and LF swapped locations for the AB???
9/5/2019 11:15 AM
I would imagine the shifts are going to make some defensive range statistics that this sim uses inaccurate for any type of normalization, no?
9/5/2019 2:40 PM
yup

but whats a SS

an outfielder they learned from experience payed better dividends not out but in

a baseman without a base

they had to call him something

and that's how you get vermin like Jeter in the hall
9/5/2019 5:22 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 9/5/2019 5:22:00 PM (view original):
yup

but whats a SS

an outfielder they learned from experience payed better dividends not out but in

a baseman without a base

they had to call him something

and that's how you get vermin like Jeter in the hall
He made that one flip in the playoffs that everyone saw and now everyone thinks he was a great defender.
9/5/2019 6:11 PM
i'm goin back two hundred years when guys did not have positions

at some point they ("they") playing the game saw a guy was wasted on D if all bases were covered and he played out near the sheep dip

"they" moved him in

what to call him. hmmm
9/5/2019 6:21 PM
Posted by fire13 on 9/5/2019 11:14:00 AM (view original):
So basically, that means that you could swap your OF’s and IF’s and then a groundout, SS to 1B, could be recorded as 8-3 if my CF is playing a normal SS location because he’s listed as CF on the lineup card?
For the purposes of scoring, it's to tell you WHO the ball was hit to, not WHERE. At the beginning of the game, the player playing SS is assigned a 6. So any ball hit to him is an out to "6". Scorers don't care where the ball was hit on the field. They want to track who played the ball.
9/6/2019 12:15 PM
10.09 PUTOUTS
A putout is a statistic credited to a fielder whose action causes the out of a batter-
runner or runner, as set forth in this Rule 10.09.

The location does not matter, it is all about the fielders involved in making the putout.
9/6/2019 9:31 PM (edited)

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.