FC Dynasty Cup III-Aurea Cruce Aquilonis, Champion Topic

The first game is in the books as a 2-2 tie, with Swamp City scoring short-handed goals after an early red card to grab a point on the road. The ageless Arley Movsisyan lasted a whopping 13 minutes before being subbed out. I normally don't give commentary on individual games...just wanted to give a shout out to the 76 year old.
10/4/2019 8:13 AM (edited)
Right below the L'Orteil D'or (which is now actively tracking goals) is a new post titled - Games Yet to be Scheduled. There is a ton of time left so there are no worries.

Starting on the 7th, I will begin listing all Group Stage games that are still outstanding.
10/4/2019 8:13 AM
Most groups, with the exception of Group F, are in good shape from a scheduling standpoint. If you send multiple challenges to the same team (and both are accepted,) only the first game will count in the Group Stage results unless I have been advised otherwise beforehand. For example, Heidi Blue has two home games against North Polar, scheduled on October 3 and October 10. Only the October 3 game will count.
10/7/2019 9:52 PM (edited)
With 34 games completed, Metody Ziomkowski of Aurea Cruce Aquilonis takes the early lead in the L'Orteil D'or award with five goals so far, followed by an army of contenders. Aquilonis has scored a whopping 20 goals in its first four games, so somebody from that team was bound to be in front.

While it is way too early to start making Group Stage predictions, a couple of teams are racking up huge away goal and/or goal differential tallies. Those tiebreakers may prove to be a nice insurance policy to have on hand.
10/7/2019 9:55 PM (edited)
There were a pair of games out of Group A that I had failed to enter into the standings. Those games have now been recorded.

In one of those games, Edman Hallberg from Metropolitan Screaming Eagles scored a pair of goals, making the 98 year old forward (by far) the oldest player to score in FC Dynasty Cup history.
10/8/2019 8:29 AM
Congratulations to Wolves, which becomes the first club to clinch a Knockout Round spot out of Group A. Enough Group Stage games will have been played after tonight for me to create a brief summary up to this point of group results (a convoluted way of saying playoff scenarios/predictions.)

Groups A-D now have all games scheduled and I'll be sending out one final wave of reminders over the next several days for the remaining games that are still outstanding. You guys are awesome. Thank you.
10/9/2019 7:18 PM (edited)
Before any of the groups finish up, I’m going to explain the mechanism behind the tiebreakers. The order of tiebreakers can be found in the Tournament Format and Rules section of the first post. This is, for those of you who did not participate in previous tournaments, how I do the last tiebreaker, the coin flip.

Hopefully, it never comes to a coin flip. But if it does, I use a website called random.org. If you have some free time, check it out. Mostly, this website caters to professionals or organizations that need high-powered number sequences or probabilities, like sweepstakes or statistical research firms. I use one of the free services called coin flipper.

When an absolute tie occurs between two teams, I assign HEADS and TAILS. The team that appears first alphabetically gets assigned HEADS. So, to use a real-world example, if FC Vaduz (Liechtenstein) is in a tie with Young Boys (Switzerland,) FC Vaduz would be HEADS since F alphabetically comes before Y. .

I choose 10 flips and pick a coin (which coin I use makes no difference) and let the program do the flip. If the coin flip itself is a tie, I do it again. I’ll then cut and paste the result, along with the timestamp, in the forums. It will look like this:

You flipped 10 coins of type US $50 - American Buffalo 24-Karat Gold Coin:

Timestamp: 2019-10-10 01:52:27 UTC

HEADS would win 7-3, meaning FC Vaduz would advance.
10/10/2019 5:15 AM (edited)
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/28/2019 7:48:00 AM (view original):
OK, the sign-up phase is now complete. I will have the entire rules and format section as well as the Group Tables complete by the end of the weekend.

When everything is finalized, I will send a sitemail to all participants stating that the tournament is officially underway. From that point forward, all information will be contained here rather than through your inboxes.

Get those rosters ready...

Swamp City Dragons are 4-0-1 not 3-0-2
10/10/2019 11:31 PM
Posted by swampdragonz on 10/10/2019 11:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 9/28/2019 7:48:00 AM (view original):
OK, the sign-up phase is now complete. I will have the entire rules and format section as well as the Group Tables complete by the end of the weekend.

When everything is finalized, I will send a sitemail to all participants stating that the tournament is officially underway. From that point forward, all information will be contained here rather than through your inboxes.

Get those rosters ready...

Swamp City Dragons are 4-0-1 not 3-0-2
Thanks, I changed it. I had the point total (13) correct so I would have found it eventually, since 3-0-2 could never add to that point total and my columns would have been unequal.

If anyone else sees an error, please point it out. I usually catch them but my wife has told me that I am capable of making a mistake now and again.
10/11/2019 12:06 AM
Here is a summary for each Group and the Knockout Round scenarios for each.

Group A - Wolves has won Group A, finishing undefeated but with four ties and grabs the final Knockout Round bye as the 4th seed. Metropolitan Screaming Eagles wrap up the 2nd spot with a 5-3 road victory over Rushmore FC, sending the defending Champions home and guaranteeing a new Champion will be crowned at the end of the tournament. Kelowna Kickers finished in third and has been eliminated.

Group B - Berlin Blitzkrieg Brigade Football Club wins the group and is the #5 seed, thanks for a 2-2 draw between Burnaby Hillbillies and Koblenz Lions. That tie knocks out both teams and allows (in dramatic fashion) FC Cackalacky to advance, based on goal differential.

Group C - Swamp City Dragons has clinched the group and the #1 seed with a very strong showing in group play. Last tournament's Runner-Up are undefeated (4-0-2.) the crutchanators of soccer have clinched the 2nd spot with a 3-2 win over 244, which along with Hespeler Impact, has been eliminated.

Group D - Aurea Cruce Aquilonis wins the group, securing a bye and Big League Dropouts takes the 2nd transfer spot. The final game tie between black mambas and Peace River Shadowcats eliminated both teams as they each needed a win.

Group E - The Detroit Bodysnatchers has clinched the top spot out of Group E and a 1st Round bye. North Polar Dragons FC beats out Cambridge Hornets for 2nd place based on goal differential. The 8-3 road victory over Cambridge proved to be the difference. Tottenham Swedes were in control of their own destiny but forfeited its final three games and has been eliminated. Heidelberg Blue Vipers finished in 4th, one point out, as the Group produced four teams that had 10 points or more.

Group F - Fußball-Club Köln 01/07 e. V. wins a forfeit-laden group and The Shield of the Cow advances as the 2nd place team. Liverpool Football Club Reds, the group's original top seed, won its only game but failed to schedule in time. Dortmund Lions and FC Boston both scheduled two early away games and forfeited all remaining points.
10/15/2019 7:59 PM (edited)
The Group Stage is winding down with the last large batch of games on the 12th, a few on the 13th and the last scheduled game (up to this point) on the cutoff date of the 14th. Starting on the 12th, I will begin to show playoff seeding in parenthesis next to the team name in the group tables. Seeds are not official until the Group Stage is completely finished and may change as each of the last few contests are recorded. Seeding will only appear next to teams that have qualified for the Knockout Rounds and have completed all of their games.

When the Group Stage is done, I'll announce the start date and time frame for the 1st Round of the Knockout Rounds so that everyone advancing will know when to check in and who you will be matched up against.
10/12/2019 12:06 PM (edited)
Seven of the twelve Knockout Round spots have been awarded, although all seeding is still up in the air. The four remaining scheduled games all have serious knockout implications.

I'm hoping that the Group E unscheduled games get played because the group is too tight to have a team advance/eliminated based on a tie awarded for a forfeiture. yanks' World 78 should roll over to a new season tomorrow morning (I think.)
10/12/2019 8:50 PM
First thing i want to say gomiami great job.... i don't know how you do it!
how did you come up which teams in each Division? Wouldn't it be great if we were all in one world? I haven't played this many human teams in years and some of these guys been playing just as long as I.
great Job!
10/13/2019 11:13 AM
Posted by oabs2 on 10/13/2019 11:13:00 AM (view original):
First thing i want to say gomiami great job.... i don't know how you do it!
how did you come up which teams in each Division? Wouldn't it be great if we were all in one world? I haven't played this many human teams in years and some of these guys been playing just as long as I.
great Job!
I'm really glad you like the tourney so far, oabs. This one has had, by far, the most competitive Group Stage of the three. It would be cool if all of us were in the same nation (of the same world.) I know FC Dynasty has its limitations since it's essentially a beta, but it is a lot more fun when your competition is all human.

It's hard to create the groups because it's impossible to guage team strength between worlds. I really can't use W-L record because one team may be playing nothing but SIMs and another has a lot of human competition. After my first goal of separating teams from the same world, I really look at number of seasons. I do a soft rank of 1 to whatever (26 this time) and distribute the teams evenly. To be honest, most of it is best guess. I want competitive groups and an even distribution of team strength. It's a tough balancing act because I have so little information to work with.

As each tournament completes, I get a better sense of the individual teams for the future. FC Dynasty Cup is a work in progress.
10/13/2019 3:25 PM
Ok, that seems like a fair way to rank the teams. Me, Being a day 1 guy in world 70 should have ranked me pretty high...keep up the good work!
im really impress with the 95 year old player who scored a goal.
Thanks again!
10/13/2019 11:27 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
FC Dynasty Cup III-Aurea Cruce Aquilonis, Champion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.