Why Can’t We Be Friends? Topic

"If you support Trump and the things he stands for, then we can't be friends.

I'm not saying I don’t like you. I'm not even saying I don’t want to be friends with you.

I'm saying that if you support Trump, then I technically can’t be your friend.

We can be fellow tax payers. We can root for the same football team. We might even consider ourselves Facebook friends. But... friends? Real friends? I can't. It's technically impossible.

For a friendship is a wholly unique creation that occurs when two people's souls intersect, and if you support Donald Trump for president then in the venn diagram of our ideologies, our circles don’t even overlap.

I mean, we couldn't do any of the things real friends do!

For instance: I wouldn’t want to watch fireworks with you on the 4th of July, for what kind of patriotism includes supporting a leader who mocks the valor of an American war hero?

I would always be a little nervous that you might sling a "harmless" racist joke across the dinner table since you are okay with the treatment of the #BlackLivesMatter protester at the Trump rally at the hands of your fellow Trump supporters. We are the company we keep.

We couldn't have any deep conversations, for your critical thinking skills are elementary at best. My 7 year old has already called it: the best way to create more home-grown ISIS terror cells in this country is to demonize the Muslim faith. Mission accomplished. We will never be victorious over our enemies by creating more enemies - both within our borders and without.

Speaking of my son, Trump is already having a negative effect on his life. See, my second grader sits shoulder to shoulder with Muslim children in his classroom. Trump's Islamophobic Bandwagon is creating a feeling of cynical paranoia between innocents, and tarnishing relationships that once held so much potential for new alliances to be forged.

Trump's ideology threatens the opportunity our children have to foster a new dialogue; to create a self-determined narrative that is removed from the sins of their parents. Donald Trump's Muslim warpath is only perpetuating more of the same dysfunction that he says he wishes to end.

So I couldn't even invite you to see my kid in a school play! I would be uncomfortable bringing you around our friends.

I also wouldn’t ask your recommendation for any books or movies because your judgement is whack. I mean, you are willing to hand the nation’s future over to someone who used to keep a copy of Hitler’s speeches next to his bed. (And then lies about it.)

I couldn't trust you with my secrets, for personal integrity does not seem to be very important to you. After all, you support a man who Twitter-snarked that there were no accomplished sport heroes of the Muslim faith (because why?), then never recanted and acknowledged that sports legend Muhammad Ali was just such an athlete. Muhammed frickin' Ali, dude!

You know what? I'm done being playful about this.

This Trump scourge goes far beyond the usual election year tug-of-war over fiscal policies and the semantics of the 2nd amendment: this is the darkest part of our humanity being reflected back to us. This is about a charismatic madman slowly hypnotizing people into believing that hatred is somehow the pathway to peace: that exclusion of the “other” is the way to greatness.

So when you support this blistering orange narcissist, you are saying Yes to a crusade of religious persecution while ignoring the well-documented legacies of those most despicable villains who also rose to power on the platform of spiritual superiority and the reclamation of a fairy tale past.

And I won't stand for it in my inner circle. I don't want that Faithless garbage in my son's life - at least not until he's fully capable of maintaining personal boundaries between himself and evil, evil ****.

But the sad, terrifying truth is that democracy might well mean that we have the right to elect a fascist dictator into office. I’m sure that not every German citizen was on board with the yellow patches on the arms of their fellow countrymen. I'm sure their sympathiser friends sneered at them, disgusted by their seeming indifference to the threat at hand. I’m sure there were millions who felt helpless as their country dissolved into a human slaughterhouse.

So if, God forbid, that is the bleak trajectory we are on, the least and most I can do is make it very, very clear, to my fellow Americans and to my son, where I stand on the issue of Donald Trump.

We are the company we keep. I will not stand with those participating in this tidal wave of discrimination being perpetuated by the very same fundamentalism we claim to be at war with. I would rather maintain a small circle of people demonstrating Real Love for their fellow man than stand with an Army of Ignorance that's hell-bent on proving they are the King of the Hill - even after the world has lost respect for them.

Hold up, now. I’m not such a fool as to deny that ISIS is a real threat. It is clear that there are terrorists out there who dream of a world without the United Stated of America. And if we follow Trump's lead into his vision for this country, they will get their wish. Our nation is great BECAUSE of the principles imbedded in her foundation, and without the freedom of religion, we collapse.

I won’t be a part of it. I can’t.

But if you ever decide to come back from the dark side, I'll be waiting for you."

- Lori Kay Rios
9/12/2019 7:05 PM
Something REAL to read is weird, ain’t it?
9/12/2019 8:24 PM
It is this type of bullshit virtue signaling that makes me despise Leftists. I would not want to be her so called friend even if I hated Trump. How dare she tell me under what circumstances we may or may not be friends. What a complete hack that person is.
9/13/2019 9:35 AM
**** off, Comrade!
9/13/2019 9:45 AM
Posted by cccp1014 on 9/13/2019 9:35:00 AM (view original):
It is this type of bullshit virtue signaling that makes me despise Leftists. I would not want to be her so called friend even if I hated Trump. How dare she tell me under what circumstances we may or may not be friends. What a complete hack that person is.
Boris. Shame on you. I ALMOST quoted HER post rather than yours because SO MUCH of it is RIGHT ON!!!

I'm talking about REAL friendship, not this shallow level of modern friendship characterized by Facebook, Twitter and this modern garbage of "liking" people you don't really know.

Ms. Rios is right. She's right about the VALUES within real friendship. and more importantly She's right about the LACK of values within the man we elected. AND she's right about the ignorance that elected him (mainly shallow thinking) and she's also right about her parallels to 1930's Germany. I'm quite SURE that there were many Germans who didn't "go along to get along" with the Nazi movement. I suspect your ancestors were some of them.

TRUMP IS despicable. HE IS destroying the values and the strength of belief of our citizens in OUR democracy.
I believe (and yes, I could be wrong-----time will tell) that this con man in the W.H. is an enemy of our Republic and quite possibly doing the bidding of foreign entities with whom he is indebted (or worse) to.

Now, she's wrong about refusing to stay friends with someone with whom she disagrees IF she was already truly their friend.
You and I have never met. We are not really friends.
However, should you ever get to Arizona, let me know (privately) and I will have you to dinner and we'll discuss our disagreements and I'd bet we become friends, despite any continuing disagreements. That is what real Americans do. We find common ground with our neighbors. We don't demonize and treat them as lesser citizens. Not here. That's for small minds and small places, NOT the U.S. of A.!!!
9/13/2019 10:14 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Tulsi Assad = <<<<<< 2%
9/13/2019 12:08 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 9/13/2019 10:25:00 AM (view original):
Now, she's wrong about refusing to stay friends with someone with whom she disagrees IF she was already truly their friend.

Bingo -- That was my only point. And we agree on Tulsi but the corrupt Democrats shut her out of the debates, because she was proving that she was the best of the bunch.

Thank you and thank you for your kindness with the invitation.

TY. See the other thread for talk on the Dueling Dems/debates.
9/13/2019 1:06 PM
Posted by all3 on 9/13/2019 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, the only people we should ever treat as lesser citizens are those who support Trump. Them we should slander up and down, call names, and make-up any lie we want about. Sure Trump s*cks in many ways, but most of, if not all the options are worse, some far worse. Trying to act like he, and he alone, is all that's wrong with this Country shows a small mind better than anything else possibly could.
I agree. No one is (at least I'm Not) claiming that Trump is the ONLY thing wrong with this Country, especially it's politics lately! IMO, the Small MINDS are those that fail to recognize the threat that THIS admin. poses! For talk about the Dems. and how sad some of them may (or may not) be see the Dueling Dems. thread.
9/13/2019 1:09 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 9/13/2019 12:08:00 PM (view original):
Tulsi Assad = <<<<<< 2%
SFW!!! 8 of the 10 so-called Dems. on the stage last night are clear losers in the WHOLE electorate and in fact I can't even vote for 7 of the 10!

So bring on Tulsi, and her ideas!
And FU for being an ******* with the continued Assad references.

WE SHOULD stay the **** OUT of the Syrian civil war!

Attitudes like yours are what dooms the dems and will get us 4 more awful years of Trump.
9/13/2019 1:12 PM
Posted by all3 on 9/13/2019 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, the only people we should ever treat as lesser citizens are those who support Trump. Them we should slander up and down, call names, and make-up any lie we want about. Sure Trump s*cks in many ways, but most of, if not all the options are worse, some far worse. Trying to act like he, and he alone, is all that's wrong with this Country shows a small mind better than anything else possibly could.
Personally, I haven't treated anyone as a lesser citizen for any reason whatsoever. Others here probably do, including Trump supporters and non Trump supporters.
"Most, if not all the options are worse" in your opinion. Not everyone agrees with you. If, it true that most, if not all the other options are worse than Trump, I fear for the future of this country.
Anyone who thinks Trump and Trump alone is responsible for all that is wrong with this country is deluding themselves. There is plenty that is wrong with this country that he has little, or nothing to do with.
That being said, my first thought on reading that woman's letter is that she is nuts. I won't stop being friends with someone because of their political opinion. I may wonder how they can hold that opinion, but I would not stop being friends with them.
9/13/2019 3:38 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 9/13/2019 10:14:00 AM (view original):
Boris. Shame on you. I ALMOST quoted HER post rather than yours because SO MUCH of it is RIGHT ON!!!

I'm talking about REAL friendship, not this shallow level of modern friendship characterized by Facebook, Twitter and this modern garbage of "liking" people you don't really know.

Ms. Rios is right. She's right about the VALUES within real friendship. and more importantly She's right about the LACK of values within the man we elected. AND she's right about the ignorance that elected him (mainly shallow thinking) and she's also right about her parallels to 1930's Germany. I'm quite SURE that there were many Germans who didn't "go along to get along" with the Nazi movement. I suspect your ancestors were some of them.

TRUMP IS despicable. HE IS destroying the values and the strength of belief of our citizens in OUR democracy.
I believe (and yes, I could be wrong-----time will tell) that this con man in the W.H. is an enemy of our Republic and quite possibly doing the bidding of foreign entities with whom he is indebted (or worse) to.

However, should you ever get to Arizona, let me know (privately) and I will have you to dinner and we'll discuss our disagreements and I'd bet we become friends, despite any continuing disagreements. That is what real Americans do. We find common ground with our neighbors. We don't demonize and treat them as lesser citizens. Not here. That's for small minds and small places, NOT the U.S. of A.!!!
Hey Bob, am I invited? Not that I have any plans to be in AZ any time soon.
9/13/2019 3:41 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 9/13/2019 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by laramiebob on 9/13/2019 10:14:00 AM (view original):

Hey Bob, am I invited? Not that I have any plans to be in AZ any time soon.
No!
9/13/2019 4:25 PM
lol. C'mon Man. Don't you guys think I could hold my own and referee all the male posturing going on? C'mon man. I ain't that old, and I got a few tricks left, like knowing a good brew or two or three.............. Visit in July.......... it's too hot for much but posing then, and we got some good posers around...........some with breasts!! Can we say that here?
9/13/2019 5:00 PM
1234 Next ▸
Why Can’t We Be Friends? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.