Posted by upsetcity on 10/12/2019 8:49:00 PM (view original):
Love seeing the forums more active with the help of this thread.

In other news, I picked up my first D2 team in quite some time. I'm loving the game right now, despite my Virginia team underperforming, and I wanted to get a D2 team to a) save my sanity during the Knight postseason / offseason b) to work my way back into another D1 team. For the time being though, I'm enjoying the D2 team.

What division do you guys seem to enjoy playing the most? Also, what's your dream school or a school you'd like to coach that you haven't yet?
D2 is the only division for me.

With D1, I'd break a cell phone every season when I'd lose EEs that I feel shouldn't have left, while also losing two 4-way dice rolls that I lead on, in the same season. And I'm completely uninterested in playing low D1 and having NT appearances be the big goal.

With D3, I'm not interested in waiting until the last 24 hours to sign my players, and putting in countless hours of recruiting, only to have them ripped away really late and having to start over somewhere else repeatedly. When it happens a few times, that's normal. But when ALL of my top guys get taken due to having to wait for the last 24 hours, courteously, no thanks.

D2 seems like the sweet spot for me. No EEs. High quality players. Strategic enough to occasionally steal from D1s, while also having to watch your back on a sneaky D3. Miss on a few players and the season isn't ruined. Fill ins can be found. Can compete at a high level every season.

I'm on the fence about "full conferences" being a must. When I play in a full conference, I usually schedule sims in non con (or "sim-caliber" human controlled teams). If I play in an empty conference, I schedule all humans. So either way it works out about the same for me. I prefer full conferences of friends. But it's not a MUST.
10/16/2019 4:41 AM
A good sweet spot for me is 6-10 conference human coaches. Enough to build rivalries and have great competition, but also some SIMS to get some break games too. CCIW in DIII Iba is a great example. I have been in that conference with those guys for a long time, and most of them have been around for years. It's great competition, history, and you can still count on at least 6 wins in conference thanks to SIMS without killing your RPI.
10/16/2019 10:14 AM
I think 8-10 is perfect for the D1 power conferences (frequently getting 4+ at large bids). 5-8 is ideal for mid majors (~2 at large bids, maybe more in good seasons) and 3-5 for low D1. My reasoning is that while everyone’s goals and expectations are different, almost no one will pay full price to play this game long term, without feeling like they have a shot at competing for a NT spot on a somewhat regular basis.

I suspect the same holds true for lower divisions, but since there’s no baseline prestige, and no pre-designed power conferences, it’s more fluid.
10/16/2019 10:45 AM (edited)

I met my wife in 1995 at a grocery store, we both worked there. We went to see “Dangerous Minds”. She was an ex volleyball player, and her legs in shorts were irresistible. I couldn’t let her go.

I have two kids. 18 year old boy and a 16 year old girl. No two kids are the same. They are both athletic, but she's the one who's passionate about playing. I don't remember a day when she didn't have some type of ball in her hand.

I was too lazy to coach, but I have seen all different types of youth coaches over the years and I have learned a few lessons.

First, the coaches do not care about your kid. No matter how much they say they do, YOUR child is secondary to theirs and the team is definitely more important. The coach that bothered me the most was the one that didn’t care about “teaching” the kids at all or making the kids better at the game. This was when we were at the cusp of deciding to play select, and one 10U baseball coach who approached practices as if he was a babysitter. Like it was a church league softball game and the kids were out there just coaching themselves.

Second, your kid and their passion will determine how good they are. Not you, not a coach, not anybody else. So remember that no matter how much better you think your kid is to everyone else, do not be one of those parents. If your kid is good enough, they will overcome 1 bad coach or 1 bad experience, so it is not worth it to get all fired up about 1 game, 1 call, or 1 bad coach, or 1 bad teammate.

Third, Just because you spend thousands of dollars on your kid and sports, it doesn’t guarantee anything.

Favorite Sports memories: 1992 Super Bowl, Cowboys when their first Championship since 77. Vince Young running right to beat USC in the Rose Bowl. Game 6 of the 1986 World Series Bill Buckner between the legs game. The 2001 World Series the Diamondbacks beating the Yankees on a walk off single.

Most heartbreaking: Cowboys losing the 1994 NFC Championship game in the mud in San Francisco, and my Texas Tech Red Raiders losing in the 2019 NCAA Championship game.

Pizza? I have not had Pizza or Pasta in over 5 years. But I dream about it. I love me some bad carbs.
10/17/2019 3:48 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 10/17/2019 3:48:00 PM (view original):

I met my wife in 1995 at a grocery store, we both worked there. We went to see “Dangerous Minds”. She was an ex volleyball player, and her legs in shorts were irresistible. I couldn’t let her go.

I have two kids. 18 year old boy and a 16 year old girl. No two kids are the same. They are both athletic, but she's the one who's passionate about playing. I don't remember a day when she didn't have some type of ball in her hand.

I was too lazy to coach, but I have seen all different types of youth coaches over the years and I have learned a few lessons.

First, the coaches do not care about your kid. No matter how much they say they do, YOUR child is secondary to theirs and the team is definitely more important. The coach that bothered me the most was the one that didn’t care about “teaching” the kids at all or making the kids better at the game. This was when we were at the cusp of deciding to play select, and one 10U baseball coach who approached practices as if he was a babysitter. Like it was a church league softball game and the kids were out there just coaching themselves.

Second, your kid and their passion will determine how good they are. Not you, not a coach, not anybody else. So remember that no matter how much better you think your kid is to everyone else, do not be one of those parents. If your kid is good enough, they will overcome 1 bad coach or 1 bad experience, so it is not worth it to get all fired up about 1 game, 1 call, or 1 bad coach, or 1 bad teammate.

Third, Just because you spend thousands of dollars on your kid and sports, it doesn’t guarantee anything.

Favorite Sports memories: 1992 Super Bowl, Cowboys when their first Championship since 77. Vince Young running right to beat USC in the Rose Bowl. Game 6 of the 1986 World Series Bill Buckner between the legs game. The 2001 World Series the Diamondbacks beating the Yankees on a walk off single.

Most heartbreaking: Cowboys losing the 1994 NFC Championship game in the mud in San Francisco, and my Texas Tech Red Raiders losing in the 2019 NCAA Championship game.

Pizza? I have not had Pizza or Pasta in over 5 years. But I dream about it. I love me some bad carbs.
This is all great advice, skinn. And welcome to the thread. It's sort of quiet now, but I like to think of it as a sleeping giant.
10/18/2019 2:13 PM
mostly agree, especially that kids if they are good enough and want it enough overcome all sorts of bad coaching bad parenting, bad luck. and you dont really need to spend thousands of dollars for exposure... if they are that good... they will be found.

but gotta disagree on one point, dog.
lets change that to "some coaches dont care about your kid"
dont throw a blanket over all youth coaches because of a few bad ones. there are many youth coaches who care for their players as if they were their own flesh and blood.

also .. i think you meant to say: "broken f-ing bat walk off single"
10/18/2019 3:21 PM
im also a member of pizzaholics anonomous. no one likes pizza more than me, but i hardly ever eat it any more, i just cant stop at one slice.
and to me there is almost no such thing as bad pizza. ill eat the slices that have been spinning around at gas station for 3 days (sometimes the cashier feels sorry for me and gives it to me for free because she was about to throw it away anyway) and the $3 cellaphane wrapped cardboard in the frozen goods section... doesnt matter... its all good to me. but had to give it up.
10/18/2019 3:27 PM
oldave,

I'll agree with you on there are some good coaches, but parents shouldn't expect coaches to bend over backwards for "your" kid.

And the broken bat play? Don't forget the infield was drawn in. A strategy decision by the manager. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but they might have been able to turn a double play if the infield was at normal depth. Either way, an awesome series soon after 9/11.
10/18/2019 5:12 PM
I’d like to also congratulate oldave for what might be his two most succinct posts ever, and back-to-back at that.

This is my long way of saying that I miss the oldave rants of yore. Maybe there are still conference boards lucky enough to see them in a regular basis, but I’m out of that loop. Ah, the good ol’ days.
10/18/2019 10:48 PM
I think my son has been around both types of Coaches in his young career. He had a basketball Coach in a church-run league tell the kids at the first practice that they'd run until they liked it they didn't pay attention. He also left his kid in a blowout win so that he could score 30 points. These were 8 and 9 year olds. But he also had a Coach in flag football that went above and beyond in helping Noah with his receiving skills. This guy was amazing...all the parents loved him. I'm coaching Noah in flag football this Spring. Everyone is going to play every position. Everyone is going to have a chance to shine. We will win some games and lose some, but those kids will have fun, improve on their skills and hopefully love the game.
Excited for real college basketball to begin!!!

10/19/2019 8:35 AM
My original plan was to give up two of my three teams to concentrate on making one a National Championship contender season after season. I was keeping King's College in Knight. Then I was like, well, three teams are easy to run. We leave on our cruise in two weeks and after checking the World schedules in Tark and Phelan I'll be giving up those two teams, as I'm not sure if we're getting Wi-Fi on board of not. I think both worlds are in vital stretches and not being around would definitely hurt the programs.
10/19/2019 8:59 AM
Posted by p6453 on 10/19/2019 8:59:00 AM (view original):
My original plan was to give up two of my three teams to concentrate on making one a National Championship contender season after season. I was keeping King's College in Knight. Then I was like, well, three teams are easy to run. We leave on our cruise in two weeks and after checking the World schedules in Tark and Phelan I'll be giving up those two teams, as I'm not sure if we're getting Wi-Fi on board of not. I think both worlds are in vital stretches and not being around would definitely hurt the programs.
i'm not in a position to volunteer, but typically most folks who have looked for someone have been able to find a temporary custodian for these wifi-less trips.

i think having 1-2 'priority' teams is a great thing to do, regardless of whether or not you carry additional teams. i basically think this game has a ton of variable and schemes and one can only *really* focus on 1 scheme at a time, in general. so i would basically carry 1-2 teams running 1 system and try to get really good at that, and anything else i was playing was just for fun.
10/19/2019 7:33 PM
Posted by wronoj on 10/18/2019 10:48:00 PM (view original):
I’d like to also congratulate oldave for what might be his two most succinct posts ever, and back-to-back at that.

This is my long way of saying that I miss the oldave rants of yore. Maybe there are still conference boards lucky enough to see them in a regular basis, but I’m out of that loop. Ah, the good ol’ days.
Here's one.
10/19/2019 11:42 PM
Alright, who is everyone's CBB team? THE University of Illinois is mine. I am so excited about this year. I am a long-suffering Illinois sports fan still high off of yesterday's football game, so it can only go up after basketball starts?
10/20/2019 7:30 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 10/20/2019 7:30:00 PM (view original):
Alright, who is everyone's CBB team? THE University of Illinois is mine. I am so excited about this year. I am a long-suffering Illinois sports fan still high off of yesterday's football game, so it can only go up after basketball starts?
I was a UNC fan a "Blue Tier school" I am now a SouthCarolina GA and that is one of the top "red pill" schools in the SEC which was the main lure. Can you guess who is the top "Red pill" in the SouthEastern conference I may give you a cookie in the response. My basketball team is my local team which is also a red pill school is Eastern Carolina and it sits very well with Red pill community.
10/20/2019 7:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...39 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.