Round 2 Themes, 2019 Topic

$70M: Modern Baseball
No pitcher can have a HR/9 under 1.00, and no hitter can have an AVG over .260. You must draft at least one player from 2019 who costs at least 4M.

Other Specifics
Seasons: All
DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: No restrictions
300K Exception: No
Team Name: No restrictions
Division Alignment: Random
10/5/2019 5:07 PM (edited)
Q&A for 70M theme:
10/5/2019 5:07 PM (edited)
$90M: 30s + 50s
It's an open secret that, to win, it's often better to avoid to the 1930's and 1950's. So, it's likely that this collection of top owners is not as familiar with the players from these decades as they are with the rest of the database.

In this league, your entire roster must come from 1930 - 1939 and 1950 - 1959. You must spend at least 40M in total salary on players from each decade. If you use any number of players from a given franchise in one of the two decades, you cannot use any players from that franchise in the other decade.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1930 - 1939 and 1950 - 1959
Ballpark: Must have been active during 1930 - 1939 or 1950 - 1959
10/5/2019 5:08 PM (edited)
Q&A for 90M theme:
10/5/2019 5:08 PM (edited)
$110M: Two Degree Twist
Pick a team. Twist 5 players to other teams from that are each no more than 5 years removed from your base team in either direction. Example: I pick the 1927 Yankees as my base team. I can twist players to teams from 1922 - 1932.

Then, twist 5 players from each of those teams within the years you have available (i.e. 1922 - 1932) and use them to make up your roster.

However, none of the players you use can have been a WIS-eligible teammate of any of the other four players you twisted from your base team at any point in their career.

To check your roster, use the Oracle of Baseball tool.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1920 - 2019
Ballpark: Must be the home park of your base team
Team Name: Reference your base team
10/19/2019 4:22 PM (edited)
Q&A for 110M theme:

Q: The five players you twist off the original team are eligible to be re-twisted and on your actual roster?
A: No, the players you have on your roster have to be 2nd-degree twists from your base team.

Q: Is that 2nd twist mandatory or optional? In other words, if I twist a player to the 1978 Yankees, can I roster 1978 Guidry or would I have to twist him to another year?
A: Mandatory.

Q: Is it fair to ask if you even have to use Guidry at all? Or just use him to take you to the 78 Yankees? If I can twist ANY 5 players from the 78 Yankees...does one of them have to be Guidry?
A: Depends. Is Guidry the player who you twisted to get the 1978 Yankees in the first place? If yes, then you can't use him. If not, then you can.

Q: If my base team is from 1920-1924, can I use players from before 1920?
A: No, you would be limited to a smaller window. There will be no deadballers in this theme.

Q: Can players be twisted to a different team from the same year?
A: Yes.
10/17/2019 10:47 PM (edited)
$130M: The Storm
You must draft 8 hitters with greater than 500 PA/162 who all hit more HRs than your player with the highest amount on your 130M Round 1 team.

Similarly, all of your pitchers must have a higher HR/9 than the highest HR/9 on your Round 1 team.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1920-2019
Ballpark: Any, but you must use the same ballpark you used in Round 1
10/23/2019 12:49 AM (edited)
Q&A for 130M theme:
10/5/2019 5:31 PM (edited)
$140M: Teammate Draft
Each owner, starting with the #1 ranked owner, will nominate a player. We will then have a 25 round draft where each owner must select one teammate of each nominated player, and one additional teammate from one player. Players who were nominated cannot be selected as teammates.

Each player can only be selected once, even if they were teammates of multiple nominated players. You do not need to declare which season of the teammate you are using when you draft them, but you must declare which nominated player they are tied to. You may not twist the chosen player to a season they did not play with the nominated player you declare.

Draft order will be determined at the start of each round and will be based on the rank of the owner who nominated the player each owner selected in the previous round, in ascending order. Ties will be broken by the prior round. The Round 1 draft order will be randomly determined and the final tiebreaker in subsequent rounds will be another random draw.

Nominated players must have a minimum of 5 WIS-eligible seasons. Teammates can only be selected from WIS-eligible seasons.

Draft order example: The #1 ranked owner nominated Babe Ruth and the #2 ranked owner nominated Roger Maris. In Round 1: I select Lou Gehrig as my teammate, tied to Babe Ruth and brianjw selects Mickey Mantle, tied to Roger Maris. I would pick before brianjw in the next round since Ruth was nominated before Maris.

Other Specifics
Multi-team players: No combined seasons.
Ballpark: Must have been the home park for one of your players during the season you use.
Team Name: Include your nominated player
11/2/2019 8:52 PM (edited)
Q&A for 140M theme:

Q: Nominating a player does not give you any rights to that player, correct? Just making sure I'm reading that right.
A: Correct, nominated players are unable to be selected in the draft and cannot be used.

Q: Is there a minimum number of seasons/WIS seasons/whatever that a player has to have to be nominated?
A: Good question. I suppose the obvious strategy would be to pick someone who played 1 season and only had 1 good teammate and then try to pick him in the first round. Even if you didn't get him, that's a less fun draft. Let's say 5 WIS eligible seasons, minimum, for nominated players.

Q: I'd like to know whether the nominating owner gets to pick the teammate he'll use before the draft begins.
A: Nope. You just nominate the player. You have to weigh when to select one of their teammates like everyone else.
10/14/2019 2:20 AM (edited)
Variable Cap: Plus X & Y
Your team's total salary cap will be 150M + x + y, as long as it does not go above 180M.

x = number of distinct seasons on your 25 man roster
y = number of distinct franchises on your 25 man roster

If x + y is greater than 30 (implying a cap above 180M) you will instead need to subtract 1M for each additional season or franchise.

Other Specifics
Ballpark: Use a park the one of your franchises played in during one of the seasons you select
Team Name: Reference your salary cap
10/23/2019 12:48 AM (edited)
Q&A for Variable Cap theme:
10/17/2019 11:52 PM (edited)
I originally forgot to include the second version of Calm Before the Storm. I have removed the old 100M team instead.
10/5/2019 5:31 PM (edited)
$255M If we don't get our first choice is there an additional bid for the second choice or only the cost of the original bid? What if 2 or more owners request the same additional player?
The auction has nothing to do with WiS salary, correct? We can bid $1M for a $10M player or $50M for Greg Maddux?
10/5/2019 6:27 PM (edited)
Posted by rbow923 on 10/5/2019 6:24:00 PM (view original):
$255M If we don't get our first choice is there an additional bid for the second choice or only the cost of the original bid? What if 2 or more owners request the same additional player?
You will have to bid again and you will not get the cost of your original bid back.

The process repeats as many times as necessary.
10/5/2019 6:26 PM
1|2|3...15 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes, 2019 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.