Round 2 Themes, 2019 Topic

I said adios to my free time last month when my daughter was born. In order to build that team I'd need to say adios to sleep for a week.

Fortunately I have 0 realistic chance of making the cage, so it's utterly irrelevant.
10/11/2019 1:20 PM
Posted by discodemo on 10/11/2019 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Two drafts running at the same time. One draft may require multiple picks on the same day. A very difficult and time consuming 110M theme. Say "adios" to your free time for the next month.
I've stopped signing up for most other leagues, but inevitably the final round of thejuice's tournament will start drafting probably around the same time. We have 16 games to go in the current season. Sleep is overrated, right?
10/11/2019 1:45 PM

And justinlee_24's question (above):
Your interpretation of the rules is correct. Building a roster will be easier than I think you are worried about with the help of the Oracle of Baseball tool on BBR. I am also building a spreadsheet tool based on WIS-eligible seasons to help. I can say that verification will definitely be easier than you'd think. I understand this theme will be challenging, but this is Round 2, your 130M team is likely mostly built already, and the two lower cap themes are considerably more straightforward.

I don't think it will be. To explain why:

Suppose the 1927 New York Yankees are the base team. I twist 5 players on the 1927 New York Yankees to 5 New teams between 1922-1932.

The following must be true:

There is exactly one player in common between the 1927 New York Yankees and each of the 5 New teams. If there is no common player between the 1927 New York Yankees and a given new team, then obviously I cannot twist 5 players off the new team and roster them. If there are two or more common players between the 1927 New York Yankees and one of the new teams, then every player on that New Team is ineligible to be twisted and can't be used. This is because this clause (However, none of the players you use can have been a WIS-eligible teammate of any of the WIS-eligible players from your base team at any point in their career, except for the player you twisted from your base team) makes them all ineligible.
10/11/2019 4:05 PM (edited)
So don't twist players to a team that has a 1927 Yankee on it. That simple.
10/11/2019 4:07 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/11/2019 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Um, if there are zero players in common between the 1927 New York Yankees and a potential new team, I can't use the new team because the theme requires that a player from the base team of the 1927 New York Yankees is twisted to the new team. If there are two or more players in common between the 1927 New York Yankees and the potential new team, the potential team is unusable.

Now, I have to somehow find 5 different teams that have exactly one player in common with the 1927 New York Yankees in this example, that are in the range of the years 1922-1932. It's not that simple at all.

EDIT: I think Jtpsops is thinking that if I roster 1930 Lefty Grove for example, that 1930 Lefty Grove doesn't have any teammates that played on the 1927 NYY. But I think the rules as they currently stand say that if Lefty Grove ever played on a roster that has a player that played or will play for the 1927 NYY, Lefty Grove is ineligible.

If Ozomatli means to say what Jtpsops is thinking, he needs to clarify that right away.
10/11/2019 5:13 PM (edited)
Posted by justinlee_24 on 10/11/2019 4:17:00 PM (view original):
Um, if there are zero players in common between the 1927 New York Yankees and a potential new team, I can't use the new team because the theme requires that a player from the base team of the 1927 New York Yankees is twisted to the new team. If there are two or more players in common between the 1927 New York Yankees and the potential new team, the potential team is unusable.

Now, I have to somehow find 5 different teams that have exactly one player in common with the 1927 New York Yankees in this example, that are in the range of the years 1922-1932. It's not that simple at all.
So if I'm following you, and thank you for wading into the waters first. . . . on our first twist of 5 players from a base team, we need to make sure that each player is the ONLY player from our base team on those 5 new teams. That's step 1.
10/11/2019 4:26 PM
Posted by NebHusker on 10/11/2019 4:26:00 PM (view original):

So if I'm following you, and thank you for wading into the waters first. . . . on our first twist of 5 players from a base team, we need to make sure that each player is the ONLY player from our base team on those 5 new teams. That's step 1.
yep, and I'm thinking that in general that will be a herculean task.
10/11/2019 4:46 PM
Posted by justinlee_24 on 10/11/2019 4:46:00 PM (view original):

Correct, in part because trades are rarely 1-for-1. Especially in the days before free agency, if a player changed teams another player usually joined him.
10/11/2019 7:32 PM
Too hard and not fun are two different things. The Kevin bacon theme seems to fall in the "not fun" category.

Those who barely miss the top 24 might still have a shot. It wouldn't surprise me if a few folks in the top 24 decide not to participate in round 2.
10/11/2019 8:00 PM
So be it. I honestly don't see what's not fun about it. It just takes a ton of research, which all the owners here supposedly love. I don't feel like it's going to be the herculean task people make it out to be. People should try creating some teams first, to judge how hard it will be.
10/11/2019 8:13 PM
Posted by barracuda3 on 10/11/2019 7:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by justinlee_24 on 10/11/2019 4:46:00 PM (view original):

Correct, in part because trades are rarely 1-for-1. Especially in the days before free agency, if a player changed teams another player usually joined him.
Went to the Yankees and clicked on Waite Hoyt. Very first team I clicked on, 1932 Giants...no one but Hoyt from the '27 Yankees. So again, I think people should try it out first.

As for those old teams, not many early players played in both the NL and AL. If you twist to teams in the opposite league, it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid the team you started with.
10/11/2019 8:16 PM
2nd click - Wilcy Moore. 1932 Red Sox...no '27 Yankees but Moore.
10/11/2019 8:17 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/11/2019 8:13:00 PM (view original):
So be it. I honestly don't see what's not fun about it. It just takes a ton of research, which all the owners here supposedly love. I don't feel like it's going to be the herculean task people make it out to be. People should try creating some teams first, to judge how hard it will be.
The $110M theme will be more time consuming to build than the Chain... and that is saying something. Most teams won't even be usable as base teams due to the fact that the 5 new teams that result from twisting players have to have exactly one player in common with the base team. I don't mind, even welcome spending time to research to try and build the best team I possibly can. No one wants to spend an eternity just to try and build a team that is legal.

I have spent time building teams (I already have drafted teams for the other 3 non-draft themes) and I certainly have given the WISC $110M team several attempts at building a legal roster (That is how I realized that the new teams must have exactly one player in common with the base team). I have not been able to yet. Like discodemo, I would like to see a sample valid team.
10/11/2019 8:20 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I have not really had a huge issue finding the first five teams. It’s finding five players on those teams who are qualified. I’m sure there is a more efficient system somewhere but checking every players oracle page vs every player on the original team manually one at a time sure ain’t it.
10/11/2019 9:09 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...15 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes, 2019 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.